do not rely on the k book n the decks for part 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

godbless

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,
i gave my part 1 ystdy, it was so tough!!!!!!!!not many qs from decks and the book!
oncofeto proteins are found in which disease?
haemoglobin in diabetic patient?HBA,HBA17,HBF,?
striated ducts seem stirated coz of what?a)coz of rough endoplasmic reticulum b)coz of secretory vesicles stored in the basal lamina?
crypts of lieberkuhn in which layer?mucosa,submucosa,muscularis?
what is the rule of"shift to the left" in haematology?
human herpes8 virus associated with which tumor?kaposi sarcoma, leukoplakia, t cell leukemia, burkitt lymphoma!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi godbless,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I know it is a tough experience, but hang in there and continue studying. I know exactly how you feel, but you just have on keep on going. Don't quit, it will pay off in the end. I will be taking the exam for the second time.

;)

i am planning to give the exam by early next year and it sounds so scary :eek: keep ur fingers crossed .thanx for sharing the questions .if there is nothing from kaplan and decks !! its really bad what r these people expecting from us ??? :smuggrin: did u give the computer based exm??????

Members don't see this ad :)
godbless said:
hi everyone,
i gave my part 1 ystdy, it was so tough!!!!!!!!not many qs from decks and the book!
striated ducts seem stirated coz of what?a)coz of rough endoplasmic reticulum b)coz of secretory vesicles stored in the basal lamina?
human herpes8 virus associated with which tumor?kaposi sarcoma, leukoplakia, t cell leukemia, burkitt lymphoma!!

hi,
WISH U ALL THE BEST FOR UR RESULTS, u would do well.....
let me try ..(correct me if i m wrong)
diabetic haemoglobin- HbA1c
striated ducts....secretory granules
oncofeto protein....mostly prostate cancer(what were the options)
HHV8 ....Kaposi sarcoma

How about from question papers?
godbless said:
hi everyone,

hi guys
they r tough questions.
i think kaplan book is to vast .... do u guys get time to study kaplan all.
plz do let me know how do u manage time with kaplan book.
thanks

godbless said:
hi everyone,

Hi,
I think these are the answers:
haemoglobin in diabetic patient?HBA1C
striated ducts seem stirated coz of what?Due to mitochondria
crypts of lieberkuhn in which layer?mucosa
what is the rule of"shift to the left" in haematology? It happens when there is formation of inmature neutrophils
human herpes8 virus associated with which tumor?kaposi sarcoma

Correct me if wrong.

toothcol said:
Hi,
what is the rule of"shift to the left" in haematology? It happens when there is formation of inmature neutrophils

Correct me if wrong.

You're right!

oncofeto proteins are found in which disease? liver or lung diseases.

By the way, most of these infos are covered in USMLE step 1 First Aid.

Good luck everyone on your boards. Mine is in 2 wks. :) :) :)

I think u mean 'oncofetal' proteins.. they are proteins found during embryonic or fetal life in their highest normal levels but not found in normal adult tissues. they may re-arise with some malignancies, such as breast, colorectal, pancreatic, lung or ovarian cancer. Its a diagnostic tool for cancer.

HuyetKiem said:
You're right!

Hey Huyet Kim

Best of luck on your exam :luck:

Hey HuyetKiem,

The best of luck on your exam ;)

HuyetKiem said:
You're right!

styloid said:
i am planning to give the exam by early next year and it sounds so scary :eek: keep ur fingers crossed .thanx for sharing the questions .if there is nothing from kaplan and decks !! its really bad what r these people expecting from us ??? :smuggrin: did u give the computer based exm??????
hi,
i didnt say there is nothing from kaplan,there were few qs from there, but not a good number, i dunt know if the exam that i got was tough or if it is the pattern in general. i gave the cbt.

toothcol said:
Hi,

Correct me if wrong.
hi,
striated duct seem sstriated coz of secretory granules or mitochondria????

styloid said:
answer for 1- is sickle cell anemia ,thalassemia ("hair on end " appearance)
for 2--- i think the answer is --b- renin conc is low .
i think that this could be the answer because sweat glands r innervated by sympathetic innervation cuses increased heart rate that means blood flow is increased so,renin release would decrease .well any better explanations for this question r welcome!!!!

for 3-- lower motor neuron -----some explanation------Upper motor neurons are a type of first order neuron. They are unable to leave the central nervous system. The pyramidal tract is a very important upper motor neuron tract. The extrapyramidal tract also consists of upper motor neurons, and is multi synaptic.

As upper motor neurons must remain inside the neuraxis, they synapse with neurons of another type called lower motor neurons which can carry messages to the muscles of the rest of the body.

Lower motor neurons, or second order neurons are cranial and spinal nerves. The cell bodies of these neurons are located in the brain stem, but their axons can leave the central nervous system and synapse with the muscles of the body.

All lower motor neurons are either spinal or cranial nerves. All spinal nerves have a lower motor neuron component as they are mixed nerves. However, not all cranial nerves have lower motor neuron components. Some of the cranial nerves contain only sensory fibers and therefore cannot be classified as lower motor neurons. For example, CN I, the olfactory nerve, CN II the optic nerve, and CN VIII, the auditory nerve, do not have motor components

answer for 4-morula
hi,
for ans 4)i also marked morula when the first time inner cell mass is seen , morula is the 32 cell stage, but in blastcyst ,all the different layers are seen like trophoblast, it is the differentiated stage, so i am not sure if morula is the right answer.
for qs no 1)there was an option for fibrosa cystica ostitis, i dunt know if that is correct
for qs no 2)i also marked renin

2)a man sweating a lot, what is wrong a)Na retention is low b) renin conc is low c)Na filtration in the kidney is very high
Hi Godbless,u know what i was just surfing the net and i found some thing interesting , related to this question---

Sweat Glands in Skin Secrete Perspiration ---
a. Sweat is water, salt, some urea.
b. Helps rid body of waste products but mainly cools body down by evaporation.
c. Sweat gland is coiled tubule in dermis, straightens as exits through epidermis.
d. With kidney failure, urea is excreted by sweat glands and forms urea-frost on skin surface.
i guess the answer for this should actually be ---kidney failure .

styloid said:
2)a man sweating a lot, what is wrong a)Na retention is low b) renin conc is low c)Na filtration in the kidney is very high
Hi Godbless,u know what i was just surfing the net and i found some thing interesting , related to this question---

Sweat Glands in Skin Secrete Perspiration ---
a. Sweat is water, salt, some urea.
b. Helps rid body of waste products but mainly cools body down by evaporation.
c. Sweat gland is coiled tubule in dermis, straightens as exits through epidermis.
d. With kidney failure, urea is excreted by sweat glands and forms urea-frost on skin surface.
i guess the answer for this should actually be ---kidney failure .
hi styloid,
i dunt think so, i think it is renin, coz renin controls aldosterone secretion which controls Na, which is a major component of sweat. low renin means more Na excreted , means more water goes with it, means more sweat, i think so!moreover we r talknig abt sweat not a frost!

godbless said:
hi,
striated duct seem sstriated coz of secretory granules or mitochondria????

ans is they seems striated bec of mitrochondria.