DO of Pyschiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

{:(

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good websites pertaining to DO's becoming a psychiatrist, especially in Canada ( I live in Seattle right now, but I would prefer to move back home to Vancouver if possible and still be a doctor). I am curious about the competition and how it all works. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I could be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that Canada is trying to make it hard for DO's to practice. Regarding psychiatry, however, I would look through the Psych residency forum on this website.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of psych. DOs. I worked in a psychiatric residency training dept. in central NY. The program accepts about 6 residents per year- and always at least one DO. They are an allopathic hospital and treat DO applicants equal to MD applicants. Also you don't have to take the USMLE to apply, just the COMLEX.

COMLEX, not COMpLEX

And to echo the others, psych isn't competitive & there are quite a few DO grads who choose to go into psych. Your big questions will be practice rights in Canada. There's a thread in osteo or pre-osteo listing the practice rights for different countries.

{:( said:
Does anyone know of any good websites pertaining to DO's becoming a psychiatrist, especially in Canada ( I live in Seattle right now, but I would prefer to move back home to Vancouver if possible and still be a doctor). I am curious about the competition and how it all works. Thanks!

Currently, Ontario is the only province that gives full practice rights to D.O.'s in Canada. At a recent convention, I was able to meet the Minister of Health of Ontario and spoke with him for quite some time. He said that there is a great need for doctors in Canada, and as such, there is legislation underway in most of the provinces to grant American-trained D.O.'s practice rights. Maybe it will go through in British Columbia by the time you finish your training; Vancouver is a lovely city!

Pegasus52082 said:
Currently, Ontario is the only province that gives full practice rights to D.O.'s in Canada. At a recent convention, I was able to meet the Minister of Health of Ontario and spoke with him for quite some time. He said that there is a great need for doctors in Canada, and as such, there is legislation underway in most of the provinces to grant American-trained D.O.'s practice rights. Maybe it will go through in British Columbia by the time you finish your training; Vancouver is a lovely city!

Hi, this is confusing, since the AOA has listed multiple provinces in Canada that allow full practice rights to DOs:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=1230779&postcount=2

Is this in error? If so, please let us know so we can update/change the FAQ.

There Are No DOs In Pyschiatry. However, There Are DOs In Psychiatry.

PublicHealth said:
There Are No DOs In Pyschiatry. However, There Are
DOs In Psychiatry.

:rolleyes:

I know that there are presently DOs working in BC, Alb, ON, QC, NB. Call the Canadian Osteopathic President to get other names.

just 2 or 3 provinces don't allowfull practice.