DO on The Daily Show tonight 3/6/07

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VirusZapper

Happy Hunting >:)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that read this before 11 pm tonight. Richard Jadick DO, will be on John Stewarts Daily Show tonight.

Members don't see this ad.

Should be interesting! If I don't catch it now then I will try to see the interview on Comedy Central's website.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wasn't he in Iraq?

Remember this?

dr_richard_jadick.gif

For what purpose?

He tried to pass as an MD but was caught by the AOA?

Or perhaps as part of the AOA's plan to get more DOs on TV?

Or perhaps he risked his life to save some fellow soldiers and received the Bronze Star with a Combat V and was featured on the cover of national magazine (and fooled the editors to think he was an MD)

Or if you believe some naysayers on SDN, he is a rarity because he's a DO (NYCOM grad) who ended up in a non-primary care specialty (urology) at an academic allopathic institution (MCG)

Hmmm ... I wonder if he will mention the error (Hero MD) on the show ... and explain that he is really a DO

He tried to pass as an MD but was caught by the AOA?

Or perhaps as part of the AOA's plan to get more DOs on TV?

Or perhaps he risked his life to save some fellow soldiers and received the Bronze Star with a Combat V and was featured on the cover of national magazine (and fooled the editors to think he was an MD)

Or if you believe some naysayers on SDN, he is a rarity because he's a DO (NYCOM grad) who ended up in a non-primary care specialty (urology) at an academic allopathic institution (MCG)

Hmmm ... I wonder if he will mention the error (Hero MD) on the show ... and explain that he is really a DO
Something tells me that if the cover of Newsweek said Hero D.O. a lot of people would be scratching their heads and saying "what the hell is that?"

Something tells me that if the cover of Newsweek said Hero D.O. a lot of people would be scratching their heads and saying "what the hell is that?"

But it would have been a perfect opportunity to spread the word about the DO's

But it would have been a perfect opportunity to spread the word about the DO's
I totally agree. I hope that he uses a little bit of tonight to talk about that. I will definitely be watching.

Awesome! Two of my favorite things, osteopathy and the Daily Show. Totally sweet. This must be to save some face for the army in light of the recent WRAMC scandal.

But Newsweek's goal is to sell magazines, not do the AOA's job.

Exactly!

Let's be honest, they did it on purpose. It was marketing on part of the editors of the article for the magazine.

How would you explain a relatively unknown, yet rapidly expanding area of healthcare on a show that thrives on satire? Im curious to see if the subject of his medical training is brought up.

This could be a VERY interesting thread come tomorrow morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
But Newsweek's goal is to sell magazines, not do the AOA's job.

I completely understand Newsweek's use of MD for the cover. Who the heck knows what a DO is?

However, it would have been nice if the article at least referenced that he was an osteopathic physician.

Of course, if that happend, an awkward discrepancy would exist: he's an MD on the cover, but he's a DO in the article. You think the public is confused now....

Looking forward to seeing this interview. Should be interesting. Can't wait :D

Hey, not all of us can afford cable so let us know how it goes.

they should have just changed the title to Dr. Hero and leave off the last to letters and there would be no confusion
One of the reasons patients don't become more aware of the osteopathic education of their doctors is because unless they read their id all they here is Dr. _insert name_

just caught it at the last 4mins..
i didnt see the beginning.

it looked like he was promoting his book "on call in hell"

not sure if they discussed the "DO "

just caught it at the last 4mins..
i didnt see the beginning.

it looked like he was promoting his book "on call in hell"

not sure if they discussed the "DO "
That's about all there was. The interview wasn't real long at all.

which channel is it on?

couldn't even list his credentials with his name, caption under him simply said "Richard Jadick"

you'd think he'd at least ask them to put DO after his name, oh well

I was anticipating, "Richard Jadick, D.O." in the tagline during the interview . . . and on the cover of his book . . . and in the book's description on BarnesandNoble.com . Must say Im a little let down.

I do not think he was trying to fool anyone. I think he said doctor, and they assumed MD. He gave a speech at an AOA convention where he discussed the mistake, and he said he was just as surprised as anyone else. He seemed to be very proud of the fact that he is a DO.

Yeah, I would have loved to have seen John Stewart get ahold of that one.....you think I make smartass cracks. Good interview, but he wasn't there to stroke the egos of anyone in the osteopathic community and he's probably secure enough in his status as a physician to not throw a world class hissy fit because someone didn't get his honoratives correct. He didn't feel the need to force the producers of The Daily Show- who probably could quite frankly probably give a **** which degree he has- to pander to those out there who feel the need to have their egos boosted through the actions of others who happen to have or are pursuing the same degree. You don't see mathematicians and astrophysicists freaking every time Stephen Hawking or another one of their colleagues is on TV......"He's got a PhD! OOOOH! Look, it will make us not be such social outcasts." They don't care.....but then again mathemeticians tend to be fairly secure in their rather eclectic egos.

Why can't it just be a simple matter of the guy is a fine doc? Personally I don't think people would care if he got his medical degree from a mail order catalog, so long as he did and exemplary job. Oh that's right.....because what matters more than the fact that he saved at very least 30 lives is the fact that's he's a DO. :rolleyes: [/rant]

I was anticipating, "Richard Jadick, D.O." in the tagline during the interview . . . and on the cover of his book . . . and in the book's description on BarnesandNoble.com . Must say Im a little let down.
Once you serve in combat (just FYI- before anyone accuses me of having no leg to stand on in regards to what I'm about to say: I was under fire on more than a couple of occasions when I was in Afghanistan so I technically have a little bit of room to say something ....MirrorTodd might have a comment about this too since he's been to Iraq) then you have a right to start spouting off at the mouth about being let down by someone who has been in the line of fire.

i think the way to promote osteopathic medicine and place it more into the public spotlight is by building and establishing more osteopathic teaching hospitals and clinics with direct university affiliations. People wont learn about osteopathic medicine by watching one DO on TV, who may I add did all his post graduate training through an allopathic institution. People will learn about DO's by being taken care of by DO's in hospitals where the majority of doctors are DO's. The AOA is opening up new schools left and right without establishing a strong teaching clinical center to be affiliated with these schools. More and more DO have to go to allopathic training for their post-graduate years and as a result of that they loose the identity and the relevance of their osteopathic background. As a result most of these DO's will be viewed as and view themselves as MD's. This may be why Cmdr Jaddick, DO did not reveal his osteopathic background on the Daily Show, because maybe he views himself as being more of an MD. Our proffession needs to focus on solidifying our postgraduate training, because at the end of the day it is the hospital or the clinical center at which you train that makes you more visible to the public and not the building of more DO medical schools. Medical schools don't take care of people, they make graduates, but hospitals with residency programs produce doctors which actually provide care for people. We as a profession need more of osteopathic hospitals to get our name and our services out to the people and not more graduates which eventually get absorbed into the allopathic world because there are not enough quality programs in the osteopathic world for them.

Once you serve in combat (I was under fire on more than a couple of occasions when I was in Afghanistan so I technically have a little bit of room to say something just FYI....MirrorTodd might have a comment about this too since he's been to Iraq) then you have a right to start spouting off at the mouth about being let down by someone who has been in the line of fire.

So true, I'm glad he didn't start talking about D.O. I'd rather hear his story than some explanation about what he is.

osteopathic teaching hospitals

They had those.....I think most of them went out of business back in the 1970s and 1980s. There's one over in Indianapolis but most of the residents don't know it's there.

As a result most of these DO's will be viewed as and view themselves as MD's. This may be why Cmdr Jaddick, DO did not reveal his osteopathic background on the Daily Show, because maybe he views himself as being more of an MD.

Bingo...

More and more DO have to go to allopathic training for their post-graduate years and as a result of that they loose the identity and the relevance of their osteopathic background.

Actually most people seem to think it's more like more and more DOs choose to go to allopathic residencies. If you notice there are lots of DO residencies that don't fill, so it might just not be a lack of slots.

They had those.....I think most of them went out of business back in the 1970s and 1980s. There's one over in Indianapolis but most of the residents don't know it's there.

It's not so much that they went out of business; but rather they were absorbed in the merging craze of the 80's-90's into larger medical centers--as happened to most of the smaller hospitals.

St. James in Olympia fields outside of chicago is an Osteopathic teaching hospital I think.

That's odd.....Indianapolis has 4 big hospital systems (Community, Clarian, St. Vincent's and St. Francis).....you'd think they would have eaten up Westview (I think that's what it's called) like the did all the other independent facilities. But still, the point was there were explicit osteopathic hospitals, but there are not common anymore- for whatever reason.

Let this be a lesson to all you pre-med kiddies:: NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE INITIALS AFTER YOUR NAME!!!!!! Why didn't he mention he was a DO? Was it because he's embarassed? NO. Was it because he was hiding it? NO. Was it because he wishes he was an MD? NO. It's because nobody cares! He's a DOCTOR, and saved lives and that is what the interview is all about and that is what being a doctor is about, DO or MD. Why would he talk about his schooling? If they had an MD on the show do you think they would ask him about where he went to school, where he did his residency, what made him decide to be an MD? Geez I wish some of you losers would get off SDN and stop your whining about how nobody is going to know what the letters after your name means. Just wait another year and apply again to MD schools or go to the Carribean, or do us all a favor and give up medicine completely, but stop embarassing the rest of the DOs who are truly in this to treat patients and not to show off the letters after our name.

Let this be a lesson to all you pre-med kiddies:: NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE INITIALS AFTER YOUR NAME!!!!!! Why didn't he mention he was a DO? Was it because he's embarassed? NO. Was it because he was hiding it? NO. Was it because he wishes he was an MD? NO. It's because nobody cares! He's a DOCTOR, and saved lives and that is what the interview is all about and that is what being a doctor is about, DO or MD. Why would he talk about his schooling? If they had an MD on the show do you think they would ask him about where he went to school, where he did his residency, what made him decide to be an MD? Geez I wish some of you losers would get off SDN and stop your whining about how nobody is going to know what the letters after your name means. Just wait another year and apply again to MD schools or go to the Carribean, or do us all a favor and give up medicine completely, but stop embarassing the rest of the DOs who are truly in this to treat patients and not to show off the letters after our name.

:thumbup:...but I do think that DO's in general care less about the initials but more about the progression of the profession. Some people want more publicity for the osteopathic profession because they are apart of it, and it's not necesarrily because they think initials are important. I would think the caribb students who choose that route because of the letters are what your post is more directed towards

:thumbup:...but I do think that DO's in general care less about the initials but more about the progression of the profession. Some people want more publicity for the osteopathic profession because they are apart of it, and it's not necesarrily because they think initials are important. I would think the caribb students who choose that route because of the letters are what your post is more directed towards
"Swing and a miss, full count!"

What you are saying is untrue. In an ideal world, prejudice such as DO vs. MD wouldn't exist. But, it does. A stellar residency applicant from say a Caribbean MD school have much more difficult time getting into top residencies than US MD applicants. Those are just the facts of life. It'd be nice to live in a world where one's virtues and abilities matter more than MD vs. DO. Unfortunately, as far as this topic is concerned, there are still many people in the medical field who view DOs as being inferior. That's also likely a fact.

they should have just changed the title to Dr. Hero and leave off the last to letters and there would be no confusion
One of the reasons patients don't become more aware of the osteopathic education of their doctors is because unless they read their id all they here is Dr. _insert name_

Isn't the DO acronmyn stitched on your white coat just like MD is?

What you are saying is untrue. In an ideal world, prejudice such as DO vs. MD wouldn't exist. But, it does. An analogy would be: a stellar residency applicant from say a Caribbean MD school have much more difficult time getting into top residencies than US MD applicants. Those are just the facts of life. It'd be nice to live in a world where one's virtues and abilities matter more than titles of MD vs. DO. Unfortunately, as far as this topic is concerned, there are still many people in the medical field who view DOs as being inferior. That's also likely a fact. Do I personally feel that they are inferior? No way. I've worked with enough medical staff to know that it's the person who make the difference not what degree or even the status of the institution he/she works at. It really is the individual who make the difference. But, saying that nobody cares about the titles MD or DO is like saying there are no racial issues in the US.

Isn't the DO acronmyn stitched on your white coat just like MD is?
It can be but a lot of hospitals (read as: most of the places I have worked; including two academic medical centers) rely on the docs to provide their own coats if they want them embroidered with their names. So it's basically and largely a matter of personal preference.

Some docs do the full Monty: John Doe, MD, FACEP, FACIM, FCCM, et al, etc

Others just do something like: Dr. John Doe or Dr. Doe

I've seen a few with just their first name and their department.....the chief of EM at one of the hospitals did this.

And then there are many docs who don't even wear a white coat after the get out of residency or med school.

Its sad that no one here is interested in what he's saying or the work he's been doing...

osteopathic and allopathic doctors are both medical doctors. Think about it this way, osteopaths are referred to as DO'S..so shouldnt we rather worry about making the allopaths into DA's?!? So folks let's start the new trend of converting the so called MD's...coz in my mind we are both medical doctors and should be a definition of who we are but not wat we represent!!!

Dr. Jadick is on Fresh Air with Terry Gross on NPR right now.

What you are saying is untrue. In an ideal world, prejudice such as DO vs. MD wouldn't exist. But, it does. An analogy would be: a stellar residency applicant from say a Caribbean MD school have much more difficult time getting into top residencies than US MD applicants. Those are just the facts of life. It'd be nice to live in a world where one's virtues and abilities matter more than titles of MD vs. DO. Unfortunately, as far as this topic is concerned, there are still many people in the medical field who view DOs as being inferior. That's also likely a fact. Do I personally feel that they are inferior? No way. I've worked with enough medical staff to know that it's the person who make the difference not what degree or even the status of the institution he/she works at. It really is the individual who make the difference. But, saying that nobody cares about the titles MD or DO is like saying there are no racial issues in the US.

Wahhh, wahhhhhhhhh, wahhhhh, ranking system, MD better than forgein MD better than DO better than US grad better than wahhhh, wahhh wahhhh.. .<whining rant over>. Another pre-med trying to tell everyone what it's like in the real world, even though they haven't set foot inside a medical school yet (see my sig). Everyone worry about yourself, there will be no combined degree, no combined match, etc.. If that bothers you, go to the Carribean.