Do Online Courses Count Toward AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DendWrite

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, sort of a three-part question here:

First, I'm interested in taking some online music courses (as music's a big hobby of mine but not something I'd like to pursue professionally). I found an accredited school where I can take courses for credit (that is, they can be transferred to other colleges). I assume that these courses would count toward AMCAS, correct?

Second, you can elect to take the courses for "internal credit" - they count toward a certificate but cannot be transferred. Would these count toward AMCAS?

Finally, would choosing to take these courses for credit be seen as a shameless attempt to boost my cumulative GPA (since the "prestige" or whatever of the online college is less than my undergrad college), or do you think it would really matter either way?

Members don't see this ad.

I am sure these classes would be counted if they were taken from an accredited college, and will appear on your transcript, etc. I had an online class and everything was exactly the same as any other.

Secondly, I doubt those would count towards AMCAS if you took them as internal credit. You should look to see how your school specifically puts them on your transcript, but the way you described it seems like it would be like other certification courses and doesn't have anything to do with your transcript.

I also looked and AMCAS states:
"Any course you attended without attempting to earn credit, either formally or informally. If you officially registered for the course, it is usually listed on the transcript with a special symbol or notation. No credit hours or AMCAS grade will be assigned."

Finally I don't think they would look like a shameless attempt, unless they really are? Is this like a weird college that schools will look at and be like why did they do this. I think if your GPA is low in other classes then that will surely come back to get you, but as long as you can say how you really like music and wanted to take some classes at this other school for price, the opportunity, convenciance, or any other reason, you'll be fine and it will just make you look more interesting...