Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

DO only?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by tonascott, Sep 24, 2000.

1. tonascott

tonascott Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I took the MCAT in Aug. 1999 and unfortunately did very poorly. I was lucky to get an interview at my first choice school at TCOM and got placed on the Wait List for the 2000 entering class, but I still came short of getting in. I retook the MCAT this past Aug. but I still won't get the results until mid-Oct. I am not sure whether to apply to more schools since I don't know how well I did on this years test.
    Also, since I wasn't sure whether to apply to more MD schools out of state. I am worried about the out-of state issue. I know many schools prefer in-state residents. I have definitely re-applied to TCOM and I am still hoping to get in for the 2001 entering class. Although I have studied and studied for the past MCAT, I am afraid I stil did poorly. I have my fingers crossed for a beter score [​IMG]
    Please let me know what your opinion is on where to apply to out-of-state with a questionable MCAT score. Here's some more info on myself:My overall GPA is 3.34 and my science GPA is 3.1. I have 3 years of nursing experience. I am also 23, married, with a 4-year-old. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Methuselah

Methuselah Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I recommend you buy a copy of the MSAR (MedSchool Admissions Req'ts) from AMCAS. It contains all of the stats for in-state and out-of-state admissions at all U.S. allopathic medical schools. It also lists the average GPA and MCAT for matriculants for 1999. (I really deserve a commission for this!) Good Luck.

4. moo

moo 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Did you do your undergrad in nursing? If so, that may also explain why med schools are so reluctant to accept you. For some reason, med schools don't like the fact that people did other professional degrees. (Check the MSAR... nursing students only got accepted about 26 percent of the time, as compared to, say, a bio major, 40 percent. Whether this is because nursing students don't do as well in school, I don't know... I've just heard that you'd better have a darn good reason for switching from nursing to medicine before you apply.) But of course, that's not the only reason. Your GPA is below average for MD schools, and just about average for DO schools... My guess is the MCAT screwed you over... Most schools have minimums and if you don't even make those minimums don't even bother applying. If I were you, I'd just wait for the MCAT scores, and apply again to DO schools... if that's truly your dream and you seem persistent, you will make it! GOOD LUCK!

5. Besyonek

Besyonek Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Your numbers are a bit low for allo programs and only average for osteo programs. The fact that you took the August MCAT hurts you even more.

My suggestion: If your scores haven't improved, don't apply this year -- it's probably a waste of money. Figure out a new study plan for the MCAT and take the exam next APRIL. Even if your numbers are low, your chances of getting an interview are better if you apply earlier. The med schools themselves recommend taking the April exam; I don't understand why so many people ignore this and thereby hurt their chances. You should also contact the schools you've applied to and ask why you were rejected. If they consistently cite the same element in your application, then this should tell you something. Don't overlook your personal statement; make sure it sets you apart as a unique and desirable applicant. Have it proofread and critiqued by a lot of people.

Some other questions: did you take a prep course? Have a daily study schedule? How many hours/day did you study? How many practice tests did you take? When did you start preparing? What section(s) is/are your weakest?

6. tonascott

tonascott Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I still haven't gotten my scores in and don't expect them until most of the med application deadlines around Oct. 15th. I took Kaplan last summer 1999. I was a Health Careeres Opportunity Program student. I studied several hours (about 8 in the classroom and 2-4 hours at night)per day away from my family for 8 weeks away in Fort Worth. I rarely had a break. I started studying after my graduation in May(I know this is a short preparation.). I took several pactice tests..I think 6. I got my BS in Biology. My weak area is physical sciences...or mainly the physics [​IMG]
    Thanks for your advice. I will take them into consideration. [​IMG]

7. galadriel

galadriel Member
    10+ Year Member

I am a retired biology prof/premed advisor with 40 years experience. The replies you have already received make a lot of sense. However, I suspect that there is more I would want to know about you before offering advice. Most advice is too generalized: I always tailored mine to what I knew about my students as individuals. I always tried to keep my own students from reading the MSAR;
    what med schools write in there is so general that in some places (like average GPA)it is misleading; it makes a difference where you went to college. All grades that are the same are not equal! From experience I learned that. If you want to discuss this further, you can email me: [email protected]

8. tonascott

tonascott Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

galadriel
    Hey, either my email is not working right or your e-mail address has a slight error. Please write me at my email address listed in my profile. I would really like to discuss this with you. Thanks for replying.

9. Mango

Mango Very Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Sorry, testing again...