Do OOS students compete with other OOS students for OOS spots for public dental schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatsgoodfam

Reaction score
Hey guys! Im new to SDN so please forgive me if I misplaced this question in the wrong area or anything. But I was wondering if OOS students compete with only other OOS students for OOS spots in public dental schools? Or do we also compete with the IS students too? I'm asking because I know many public dental schools typically have a set number of OOS students they accept, so I was wondering if the OOS students are competing with just other OOS students in regards of this? (This is for post-interview too btw, not pre-interview.)

Members don't see this ad.

You're competing with OOS students. Schools take a certain number of students that are in state, and since there are less overall applications, it's easier for In-State kids to get in than OOS. If a dental school has 100 spots, and 50 are in state, you are competing for 1 spot out of the 50 OOS spots. Unfortunately, there may be 1000 applications for those OOS spots, with the school sending out 300 interview spots, and finally accepting 50. Just an example, not exactly what's true for schools.