DO or MD letter of rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

question8

Reaction score
I'm planning to apply this cycle to DO schools exclusively and have already secured a DO letter of rec from shadowing. However, I've been scribing with an MD for almost a year now who knows me in a greater and much longer capacity so they could very likely write me a stronger letter. Will it make a difference/is it worth it to ask the MD for a LOR for the schools that don't specify they want a DO letter? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah you can add more letters than required. And if he knows you better and can give you a great letter, definitely add him for sure.
My only physician LOR was a MD.....for DO.

The DO letter is just a way of making sure you know what a DO is and are serious about attending a DO school.

If I recall correctly, AACOMAS doesn't allow you to select specific letters for specific schools, unlike AMCAS, correct? If a schools specifies they don't want more than an X number of letters, don't break that rule.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would include both. The letter from someone who knows you well is important and the DO letter is an advantage. As a side note, anecdotally, I got better results from schools where I talked about shadowing a DO and what that physician did that was inspiring to me, as well as in line with the DO philosophy.

I'm 4/6 on DO IIs this cycle with only an MD LoR. I think my app is very geared toward DO though and I referenced working with DOs in my secondaries as well. N=1.