DO or MD Residency for Super-competitive specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shindog

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to post this message on a couple message boards here at SDN in hopes for some advice.
I have been thinking about ortho and derm residencies, but the match is ultra-competitive. The DO residencies would be "easier" to get into than the allopathic ones simply because of less students competing for each spot. That being said, what is the real difference between the two types of residencies when it comes to job opportunities? I know allopathic residencies are known for their better training, but does it make a difference when applying for positions in private practice groups? i.e. Will a group of MD orthopedic surgeons be more willing to hire a DO if he got his training at an allopathic program?

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Your question is very generalized and very difficult to answer. The great majority of the time, if you're good at what you do, you'll be highly sought after after residency, no matter whether you're DO or MD, especially if you're in a specialty in demand in that area. If you suck, you wont be able to be as choosy when finding a job in practice. Remember to look at perception of a program vs actual realistic quality of a program when applying. For example, NYCOM has an ER residency at St Barnabus in NYC that rivals any MD residency in the city and MDs admit it. However, because it's DO some students think it's inferior, but, when these docs finish up they are more sought after for spots than any MD resident. Ask questions when applying. Be proactive. Do your homework.

By the way, derm and ortho? Talk about 2 professions at opposite ends of the lifestyle and free time spectrum. You dont hear those 2 thrown about much together. Pretty different fields.

First and foremost, if you are in a high demand field, you will ALWAYS be in high demand. Academic centers, in all honesty, would be more interested in you if you attended an Allopathic residency... Most employers use references, interview, and CV (which includes residency)...and then they match you up. Know what I mean?
High profile practices (we are talking regional leaders in X), will always choose the graduate of the high profile residency...with few exceptions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also there are more allopathic positions available in both derm and ortho.
Good
Luck
:) D

Originally posted by oceandocDO
For example, NYCOM has an ER residency at St Barnabus in NYC that rivals any MD residency in the city and MDs admit it. However, because it's DO some students think it's inferior, but, when these docs finish up they are more sought after for spots than any MD resident.

Sorry to get off the original topic, but St Barnabas = most overrated osteopathic ER program ever.

The program has great potential and great residents but a long way to go before it can claim to be a top ER program with graduates "more sought after than MD resident" :laugh:. The best programs in NYC are (in no particular order) Jacobi, St. Luke's, Kings County, and Lincoln. There are a few DO's from NYCOM who matched to Lincoln and Kings County last year, so it isn't impossible.