DO or PA hopeful Career Changer in the middle of my post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BusinesstoMedicine

Reaction score
edit

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ohioan1932 said:
Hello everyone this is my first post here but it seems like a great site and source of information. I recently graduated with a business management degree with a 2.72 cGPA and a 3.4sGPA with 132 credit hours total and only 15 science credit hours. I had a horrible semester my sophomore year that devastated my GPA but because I didn't take many sciences my sGPA is still in tact. I recently decided to pursue a career in medicine and am torn between becoming a PA or DO. I applied and was accepted to a post-bacc program at a local 4 year college and am 30 credit hours in to a 60 credit hour post-bacc. So far in my post-bacc I have a 4.0. The post-bacc has raised my GPAs to a 2.96cGPA and a 3.73sGPA so far and if I can keep my 4.0 all the way through I should be around a 3.2cGPA and 3.85sGPA. Ill be getting an EMT job next summer and am already getting shadow hours with two separate MDs. I will spend the year after I finish the post-bacc studying for the MCAT or GRE and getting PCE and volunteer hours. My question to you is are my stats competitive for DO programs or do you think I would have better luck pursuing a career as a PA? I have been knocking out pre-reqs for both so far in my post-bacc so its not to late to choose. Which do you think is a better option given my situation? Also I am 23 years old if that is important.
A lot will depend on your MCAT score. Keep on rocking those pre-reqs and you have a solid chance at D.O., depending on your other ECs/LORs/essays/etc. Research might help, too.
Good luck!

A lot will depend on your MCAT score. Keep on rocking those pre-reqs and you have a solid chance at D.O., depending on your other ECs/LORs/essays/etc. Research might help, too.
Good luck!
Thank you so much for replying! This whole career change and new world is very overwhelming. It really has been a leap of faith but I am extremely dedicated to this medical path. It's true I definitely need some work on my ECs and I have a long way to go.

Get a 510+ on the MCAT and you're probably competitive for some MD schools even.