DO osteopathic friendly allopathic emergency medicine programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Believe2008

BELIEVE2008
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know what allopathic emergency medicine programs accept DO's for residency? By accept I mean osteopathic students that measure up against fellow allopathic student, i.e. not some outlier DO student with a 95% USMLE board score...

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know what allopathic emergency medicine programs accept DO's for residency? By accept I mean osteopathic students that measure up against fellow allopathic student, i.e. not some outlier DO student with a 95% USMLE board score...

Most of then. Do some research. Look at various residency websites and look at the list of current residents. Obviously a residency that has no DO's at all would be more of a concern than a program who has a DO as the residency director...

Alameda county
UC davis
USC
Stanford
Kern
UCSF Fresno
University of nevada
orgeon health sciences
maricopa
christiana care
university of florida orlando regional
emory
medical college of Georgia
cook county
U of I
the list can go on and on and on

Members don't see this ad :)
Before EMRAmatch.org completely revamped (screwed up) their residency pages, you could easily look at all the programs to see which ones had DO's currently, and the past five years. You can still find the info, but to view *one* program's info, you have to view 3-4 pages. When I used it, it was one page and had all the info you needed to compare programs.

However, you can still use the site look up programs that interest you, it will just take a lot longer.

I think a much shorter list would be which programs do not accept DOs.

Tons of DO's at SUNY Upstate program, i rotated there for my ER rotation during my prelim med year

A DO at the trauma center where I work did her residency at Duke. She went to TCOM, and I have no idea if she took USMLE, and if so, how well she did. She is a good doc though.

Before EMRAmatch.org completely revamped (screwed up) their residency pages, you could easily look at all the programs to see which ones had DO's currently, and the past five years. You can still find the info, but to view *one* program's info, you have to view 3-4 pages. When I used it, it was one page and had all the info you needed to compare programs.

However, you can still use the site look up programs that interest you, it will just take a lot longer.

I agree now emra is a pain to use.

If you're a talented friendly student, you'll meet a lot of DO friendly programs. If you're not as talented or not as friendly, you won't make a lot of friends and you'll probably get made fun of behind your back. This has been my experience having been on both sides of the MD EM application process now.

I think a much shorter list would be which programs do not accept DOs.

This is so true. I just went through my interview season and almost every program was very friendly and informative. There were only a few that may have had some issues. I will say this though, most program would like to see a good USMLE score. You can get invites without it but I think it is quite beneficial to take it.

This is so true. I just went through my interview season and almost every program was very friendly and informative. There were only a few that may have had some issues. I will say this though, most program would like to see a good USMLE score. You can get invites without it but I think it is quite beneficial to take it.

I hope Denver gets over themselves before I'm applying to residency! I know they've allowed DO students to do away rotations with them, but to my knowledge, they've never accepted a DO into their residency program. Anyone know differently?

Nate.

I hope Denver gets over themselves before I'm applying to residency! I know they've allowed DO students to do away rotations with them, but to my knowledge, they've never accepted a DO into their residency program. Anyone know differently?

Nate.

Denver is a tough program to get into. You'll need top notch scores and amazing LOR's to get an interview there. Not saying it can't be done but they known for having a tough program.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are entering the allopathic match, I'm not sure why you'd want to do a 4-year program anyway. That's one of the benefits of not doing the AOA match---the ability to shave off a year of training.

Reactions: 1 user
They had ONE DO student a few years ago - from KCOM. But you should also be aware that DG charges DO students $1000 to do an away rotation there. MD students only pay a couple hundred bucks.

DG is notoriously NOT osteopathic friendly.

Reactions: 1 user
One program that I think is pretty unique is...MY PROGRAM!!!! St. Luke's has both an allopathic program and an osteopathic program. We have 8 allopathic slots (last year was 4 mds and 4 dos) and 4 do slots...

Both programs run parallel to each other (i.e. we have grand rounds together) and work in the same hospital. The main difference is the transitional year (the md program is 3 years only) and that the DOs have to spend a few months in our sister hospital's ED.

Maybe I am wrong, but I am not aware of any other EM residencies where both DO and MD residencies run hand in hand... Please correct me if I am wrong.

Maybe I am wrong, but I am not aware of any other EM residencies where both DO and MD residencies run hand in hand... Please correct me if I am wrong.

Einstein Philly - though it's a dual-accredited, not a side-by-side.

What about Lansing, Michigan? Isn't that a dually accredited side by side program??

The EMRA really got screwed up when they redesigned the website. Some of the info was lost or changed. There was oe program that reported on there that they have never taken DO's but then I look at the program site and I see like 3 or 4. I guess all we can do is be patient and maybe email the webmaster.

I must admit that I have been really disappointed with how Colorado has so few opportunities for DOs. I grew up there and it seems the only way I can get back is through Family or Internal Medicine...which honestly don't interest me at all.

Hopefully some of these trends will change in the future with the opening of the rocky vista school there.

Geisinger Medical Center EM program is also very DO friendly. Our PD and the Director of Osteopathic Med Ed will also work together to get your internship year approved so you don't have to mess with the Resolution 42 crap. We are in Pa, one of the "5 states," so this is kind of important for us...

Agree with what was said above - probably easier to tell which are not DO friendly.

Indiana has always seemed to bridge that gap of elite EM training without an elitist attitude. Since the class of 2006 started, they have had at least one D.O. in the program. Although they only have one D.O. EM faculty (Kevin Terrell), he is an acomplished and well respected researcher. I agree that every year the percieved barriers become farther and fewer between. Keep up the trail blazing!

Matched three DO's this year! 2 AZCOM, 1 KCOM

I also know several DO ER docs who did their residency at Lehigh Valley Hospital in PA. I believe it is the busiest Level I trauma center in PA. That's saying something.

One of our attendings did his residency there, and went to school at DMU.

A guy I know who works out at my gym went to school at LECOM-Erie, and is now medical director at one of the other hospitals in our network (can't remember which one), and also did his training at LVH.

Supposedly, that place is top-notch, and they get plenty of DO's.

It looks like Denver has one DO resident (3rd year) from Touro-CA.

Check it out.
http://denverem.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=5&Itemid=61

We do have a EMIII from Touro-CA. First one to break through the program. We also have two DO EM attendings at UCH. There are many more DO EM's that are practicing here in the Denver Metro area. HealthOne (Carepoint Physicians) in particular seems to hire many DO's. Hopefully with the addition of RVUCOM, more opportunites will present for those looking to match into EM in CO in the future.:thumbup:

We do have a EMIII from Touro-CA. First one to break through the program. We also have two DO EM attendings at UCH. There are many more DO EM's that are practicing here in the Denver Metro area. HealthOne (Carepoint Physicians) in particular seems to hire many DO's. Hopefully with the addition of RVUCOM, more opportunites will present for those looking to match into EM in CO in the future.:thumbup:

That'd sure be nice! I'd really love to come back to Colorado, if not for residency, at least once I'm an attending! Up north here in Loveland, we've got a bunch of DOs working in the EDs at the new Medical Center of the Rockies and Poudre Valley Hospital (same group, same hospital system).

Nate.

That'd sure be nice! I'd really love to come back to Colorado, if not for residency, at least once I'm an attending! Up north here in Loveland, we've got a bunch of DOs working in the EDs at the new Medical Center of the Rockies and Poudre Valley Hospital (same group, same hospital system).

Nate.

That's cool. I think that as the years go on, we will see more and more DO's in practice here in CO. :thumbup:
Your going to NSU right?

Liz

one attending i work with went to cook county for residency and is a CCOM alumni

That's cool. I think that as the years go on, we will see more and more DO's in practice here in CO. :thumbup:
Your going to NSU right?

Liz

I agree, maybe its just that I'm more aware, but I seem to see more and more DOs every year!

Yep, I'm heading to Nova.

Nate.

I agree, maybe its just that I'm more aware, but I seem to see more and more DOs every year!

Yep, I'm heading to Nova.

It's funny, cause I tend to notice more of them too. Must be an awareness thing.

Congrats! Attending school in South Florida would be sweet. :thumbup: But are you gonna be okay without the mountains? I saw pics of you on the "what do you look like thread" and you seem way into the mountaineering thing.

It's funny, cause I tend to notice more of them too. Must be an awareness thing.

Congrats! Attending school in South Florida would be sweet. :thumbup: But are you gonna be okay without the mountains? I saw pics of you on the "what do you look like thread" and you seem way into the mountaineering thing.

Yea...I'm already in mourning for the mountains...but when its the school you get into..sacrifices must be made! The sucky part is that I injured both my ankles in the last two weeks and its taking a SERIOUS bite out of my last mountaineering/backcountry skiing season!!

Tons of DO's at SUNY Upstate program, i rotated there for my ER rotation during my prelim med year

Not to mention, 2 DO's and both NYCOM grads as the Chief Residents next year!!!!! :)

A good number of CCOM students get into Cook County in Chicago.

Indiana has always seemed to bridge that gap of elite EM training without an elitist attitude. Since the class of 2006 started, they have had at least one D.O. in the program. Although they only have one D.O. EM faculty (Kevin Terrell), he is an acomplished and well respected researcher. I agree that every year the percieved barriers become farther and fewer between. Keep up the trail blazing!

a) Indy really does seem to be leading the charge in this dept, I felt like I met a bunch of DO residents.

b) Are you sure there's only one DO on the faculty?

c) If you interview at Indy I think you'll see that the PD/APD are mostly interested in finding people who will work well in the Indy setting (which I think is pretty unique). Every program says this is their goal but I think it is more true for some than others. When they sit around doing the rank list I doubt if they pay any attention to the DO/MD thing.

d) Disclaimer: I'm not a DO.

Has anyone been through an ACGME EM residency and applied for Res. 42 had difficulty doing the AOA's "required" rotations? Did any talk of your "required" roations come up in your interview?

You will find similar deals w/ maricopa and UNLV who both have DO program directors.

I was told that it is almost impossible for a DO student to even get a rotation at Harbor UCLA.

Has anyone been through an ACGME EM residency and applied for Res. 42 had difficulty doing the AOA's "required" rotations? Did any talk of your "required" roations come up in your interview?

I called to discuss this with AOA, as I need my elective(s) to do my niche. I was told I had to do one rotation/month of Family Medicine. Not very helpful.

Wook

Hello,

I am in my traditional rotating internship at a busy level 2 trauma center in california. I was wondering what Allo EM programs are DO friendly and take a fair bit in each class? I am looking for some advice from people who are pretty familiar with the current situation. PM me if you need more details or have any questions about my qualifications.

Thanks

I called to discuss this with AOA, as I need my elective(s) to do my niche. I was told I had to do one rotation/month of Family Medicine. Not very helpful.

Wook

As a follow up since this thread has been resurrected...

I called the AOA again to get more information. I spoke with a different person, who seemed to know more about Res 42. She directed me to complete some paperwork, which I did. I had to have my PD sign off on some paperwork, which he did as well. It all worked out and was fairly painless. I explained on my application that I was using my electives to develop my niche, in which I eventually planned to do a fellowship (which I later completed).

Thanks.

Wook

I was told that it is almost impossible for a DO student to even get a rotation at Harbor UCLA.

ATSU In Arizona had a DO Student match into UCLA-Harbor, he did an away rotation there, his USMLE was in the 230s

Hello,

I am in my traditional rotating internship at a busy level 2 trauma center in california. I was wondering what Allo EM programs are DO friendly and take a fair bit in each class? I am looking for some advice from people who are pretty familiar with the current situation. PM me if you need more details or have any questions about my qualifications.

Thanks

I'm an M2, so not familiar with your situation, but I have done a lot of forum lurking/talking to uppclassmen regarding this topic. Kern is definitely the most DO friendly EM residency in California. They have several DO's while all of the other CA ACGME programs have either one or none (if you're interested in CA). I may be pointing out the obvious, but you can look up any programs website and see how many of the current residents have DO degrees and where they graduated. This can definitely help gauge DO frendliness and also regional bias.

Some of the places with lots of DO's from my snooping the interwebs: SUNY Buffalo, UNLV, Albany Medical Center, Cook County, Wake Forest, Albert Einstein (dual accredited), and Kern.

Hope that helps, good luck.

There was a post in the EM forums that listed all of the allo programs that accepted COMLEX. This was the work of one student, so it's likely incomplete, but it was something like 50+ programs long. I lost all my bookmarks so I no longer have it stored and couldn't find it using the search feature. If any diligent peer could find that thread, I'm sure the readers of this one would greatly appreciate it.