Do Osteopathic schools check to see if you've applied to an MD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BabberSher

an Army of Darkness fan
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do Osteopathic schools check to see if you have applied to an Allopathic school? Would they take this negatively, or am i just worrying for no reason? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Do Osteopathic schools check to see if you have applied to an Allopathic school? Would they take this negatively, or am i just worrying for no reason? :confused:

Not sure they really check but they really don't care as long as you are not applying to every school in the US. They understand that it is dificult to get in and everyone applies braodly. So... don't lie to them.

No, they do not check. They have no way of accessing AMCAS. Just be honest if asked. Admissions and interviewing faculty understand that getting into medical school is competitive, and applying broadly is just a wise move to ensure success of gaining admission.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks people :)

They do not check. However, since you are listed as "pre-dental", if you say anything about applying to dental schools they might wonder if you really want to be a physician or not.

They do not check. However, since you are listed as "pre-dental", if you say anything about applying to dental schools they might wonder if you really want to be a physician or not.

No, this is my brothers screenname, he was predent

But if we happen to ask if you have applied make sure to answer truthfully. Sometimes your AMCAS ID is on letters of rec and whatnot. The interview then get very interesting when you have lied and I ask then why do you have an AMCAS ID or that soandso said you would be great for Hogwarts MD school in is letter of rec. :D

No, they can't check.

Yes, they may ask (in interview).

Be honest. Tell the truth. Don't be ashamed. The same goes for MD schools asking about DO schools.

At the end of the day, they should be mature...and usually they are. You really have nothing to worry about.

The DO schools might be affraid you are using them as a back up, but the process is so random how can they really know. I think DMU waitlist applicants they feel applied to md schools that might be using them as a back up, but its just my gut feeling. Maybe a DMU student could answer.

I'm a bit worried because some DO schools state that they want applicants who specifically want to do DO.

Nobody gives a **** if you applied to an MD school. Probably like 90 percent of all osteopathic applicants applied to MD schools too. A lot of the faculty at these schools have taught at MD schools. Some of them are MDs, meaning they themselves went to an MD school. Hell, at my school, we've got a professor who teaches at our school and an MD school simultaneously.

And then you've got the PhD's. At my KCOM interview, one of my interviewers was a pharmacologist who told me that he didn't know much about the difference between osteopathic schools and allopathic schools, and that since he was a pharmacologist, he didn't really care.

This is a non-issue.

No, they can't check.

Yes, they may ask (in interview).

Be honest. Tell the truth. Don't be ashamed. The same goes for MD schools asking about DO schools.

At the end of the day, they should be mature...and usually they are. You really have nothing to worry about.

Yup, she speaks the truth. :thumbup:

I got asked about what schools I applied to, both MD and DO, by a school I interviewed at, and I just answered honestly. It didn't hurt me one bit, as evidenced by my acceptance to that school. I think it's rather normal these days to apply to both. It broadens your chances and options. Just don't make it seem like you are using DO as a backup, because that might trip some land mines.

VCOM, recall from the top of my head.

I don't know if they do or not, but I did talk a bit about my applications at my VCOM interviews. Those 3 interviews were the MOST chill out of the entire cycle for me. They definitely didn't care in my case, because I got in with the first round of acceptances.

However, I also had a really strong DO letter of recommendation, so they also didn't doubt my sincere interest in their school.

Two of the schools, I think UNECOM and NOVA based on last year's posts, ask you to list all the schools you applied to on the secondary, both MD and DO.

How did you respond?

Diplomatically, but truthfully. I told them, yes, I applied to both types of programs. My main criteria were the strength of the program, location, fit, and finances (state school, lower tuition, etc.). There was no more discussion of it after that. Throughout the interview, I tried to keep the focus on why I thought school x (the one interviewing me) would be an outstanding choice for me.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think they check
00.gif

There are several reasons they don't check:

1. They don't give a ****.
2. They get thousands of applications, and its not like they would have time to check, even if they did give a ****. The people on the admissions committees are either professors, or clinicians with their own medical practice and/or academic work, or both. They have better things to do than going through everyone's application and monitoring SDN on a regular basis to try and figure out who everyone is, and where they applied. If someone wants to know, they will ask when they interview you, and it would probably be more out of curiosity, and have no bearing on your acceptance/rejection.