DO/Osteopathic Schools in Family Friendly Location

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KMG2008

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am re-posting a question about family-friendly DO schools since a lot of the threads I looked up were 5+ years ago.

My husband has just applied to DO school. We have a 2.5yr old son and I work from home. I am interested in constructive feedback, based upon experience, on which DO schools are in the most family-friendly areas.

I do think it's important that the DO schools are family-friendly. I'm more interested in the areas and surrounding areas themselves that are family friendly, have decent education (preschools and elementary schools) for younger children, community/neighborhood, and a decent cost of living. (For example the research I have done it looks like the areas where NYIT [Old Westbury, NY] & CCOM [Downers Grove IL] have higher Costs of Living).

I appreciate any constructive feedback on ALL schools (as we have a big list), but specifically interested in:
  • WVSOM (Lewisburg, WV)
  • LUCOM/Liberty (Lynchburg, VA)
  • VCOM (Blacksburg, VA)
  • CUSOM/Campbell (Buies Creek, NC)
  • Rowan (Stratford, NJ)- is surrounding area family friendly or better to commute from Philly
  • LECOM (Erie and Bradenton)

Members don't see this ad.

Most of them are.

How about Des Moines, Iowa?

http://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/real-estate/T006-S001-best-cities-for-every-life-stage/index.html

Best City for Families: #1 Des Moines, Iowa
Population (metro area): 569,633
Unemployment rate: 5.0%
Cost-of-living index: 91.3
Median household income: $57,185
Student-teacher ratio: 14.5

A low unemployment rate, high-paying financial-services jobs and below-average housing costs allow Des Moines residents to enjoy a standard of living that's the envy of their friends in larger cities. Families can easily find a four-bedroom home with an attached garage in the $200,000 range.

Most families don't need to shell out extra money to pay for private schools. Des Moines' public schools offer small class sizes, and Iowa's test scores are above average. Rush hour is blissfully brief, an attribute highly valued by busy parents.

The city and suburbs are connected by more than 300 miles of bike and walking trails. In the summer, families can take in a minor league baseball game at Principal Park, home to the Triple-A Iowa Cubs. Brenton Skating Plaza, part of the 1.2-mile Principal Riverwalk that is scheduled for completion this year, is a popular wintertime destination.

DMU is definitely the most family friendly.

Members don't see this ad :)
ACOM is very family friendly! Many students have families and there are a lot of great places to go around Dothan.

CUSOM was also family friendly. My interviewers were very interested in my kids and have me ideas of places to go. There we a few less families in the student body but higher than at some other schools.

Hello, I am re-posting a question about family-friendly DO schools since a lot of the threads I looked up were 5+ years ago.

My husband has just applied to DO school. We have a 2.5yr old son and I work from home. I am interested in constructive feedback, based upon experience, on which DO schools are in the most family-friendly areas.

I do think it's important that the DO schools are family-friendly. I'm more interested in the areas and surrounding areas themselves that are family friendly, have decent education (preschools and elementary schools) for younger children, community/neighborhood, and a decent cost of living. (For example the research I have done it looks like the areas where NYIT [Old Westbury, NY] & CCOM [Downers Grove IL] have higher Costs of Living).

I appreciate any constructive feedback on ALL schools (as we have a big list), but specifically interested in:
  • WVSOM (Lewisburg, WV)
  • LUCOM/Liberty (Lynchburg, VA)
  • VCOM (Blacksburg, VA)
  • CUSOM/Campbell (Buies Creek, NC)
  • Rowan (Stratford, NJ)- is surrounding area family friendly or better to commute from Philly
  • LECOM (Erie and Bradenton)

Keep in mind most of the schools you have here will require you to travel away (or have long commute times) for 3rd and 4th year rotations. That may or may not be a problem however if you work from home.. I would also add Marian to the list as Indiana has a low cost of living and there are several good suburbs around for raising a family

Thank you all for your input. I am aware of rotations 3rd and 4th year and am currently trying to find out which schools have local and which schools require him to go away, travel, or a long commute.

Thank you

To the OP,

Touro-Nevada is actually in the city of Henderson--which is a suberb of Las Vegas. Was voted one of the safest cities in the country recently.

I loved it. It was a very family friendly place from what I can tell.

Touro-NV also has the option for you to be able to do all 4 years in Las Vegas/Henderson. I confirmed this with my interviewers.

Another vote for Des Moines! My husband is a 2nd year at DMU.

The suburbs all have excellent schools and are mostly a 15 min drive to DMU and there are a ton of private schools too. Actual Des Moines schools can be hit and miss depending on what part of town your in.

Lots of great neighborhoods, good COL, and lots of family friendly things around.

PM me if you have questions.

I interviewed at LECOM-SH in Greensburg PA. The PBL model of learning seemed most conducive to raising a family. PBL is like directed independent study, less required lecture time equals a flexible schedule. The city itself seemed like a typical small city suburb with decent schools, but I didn't actually look at the details.