Do other specialties come down to visit radiologists or just simply call?

May 4, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Can't really shadow thanks to covid19, but curious if attendings/residents from other specialties actually visit radiology for consults or??

SirGecko

Go Navy
10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Can't really shadow thanks to covid19, but curious if attendings/residents from other specialties actually visit radiology for consults or??
Obviously right now the general preference is a phone call secondary to social distancing guidelines. (although I still had surgeons visiting me on call) Are you asking about practice patterns pre-covid? That really depends on the service and your local norms. I tend to see general surgeons (both residents and attendings) more than anyone come down to visit the reading room. Occasionally the pediatrics ward team has come through and pulm will sometimes come to chest. The attendings on ortho will swing my MSK to talk to the MSK staff but the residents never do. I've also seen heme onc a few times, typically on nucs. This will vary a lot depending on your local training environment though.

About the Ads
May 28, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm lucky that we have a good atmosphere in our radiology department, it's like the 2nd doctors' lounge. Almost everyone comes for case discussion or random chitchat. Gen surgeon, uro, ortho, cardiothoracic surgeon, internal med, gastroentero, pulmo, cardio, neuro, ped, and obgyn, comes regularly. It's a bit desolate currently though, due to covid.

Reactions: 4 users

dieABRdie

2+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2018
Rad Onc here. I bug the crap out of them. Any time I have question about what structures a tumor might be involving in order to help me plan the treatment.

But they have told me they don't mind because they like discussing cases deeper than just seeing an image on a screen.

Reactions: 2 users

phillyphilly

2+ Year Member
May 30, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
It highly depends on the institution. Where I did my intern year, it seemed like clinical teams came down all the time, multiple times a day; some even had "radiology rounds" daily. At my current institution, it kind of varies on the section. I've rarely had anyone come down for MSK or nuclear medicine, but for ER or body, they'd always stop by after a trauma or an interesting case.

recycledpaper

10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Depending on your rotation, either pretty often or almost never.

I'm on my emergency block and get a few visits sometimes throughout the day. I only rule out the big things that can kill their patient though. Everything else, I tell them I will call them if I see it (I don't like people looking over my shoulder while I read studies).

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.