Do P/NP grades in unrelated science coursework look bad (econ and data science specifically)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hyperbolicinjuries

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in college studying econ and DS and might go to med school years after college (like after 3-4 years into my first job).

I'm considering P/NP-ing some of my economics classes and maybe some DS ones also and am wondering how that would look to medical schools especially since it's not science coursework and because my cumulative GPA is a 3.8 and my sGPA is a 3.6.

Like, would they care at all? Or would they just think "wow she was a lazy undergrad." Berkeley, my undergraduate institution, is frowning upon P/NP this semester really heavily so just wanted to know.

Since medical school is so GPA dependent my logic is that wouldn't a P be better than a B especially if it's econ or data science and NOT a science pre-req?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in college studying econ and DS and might go to med school years after college (like after 3-4 years into my first job).

I'm considering P/NP-ing some of my economics classes and maybe some DS ones also and am wondering how that would look to medical schools especially since it's not science coursework and because my cumulative GPA is a 3.8 and my sGPA is a 3.6.

Like, would they care at all? Or would they just think "wow she was a lazy undergrad." Berkeley, my undergraduate institution, is frowning upon P/NP this semester really heavily so just wanted to know.

Since medical school is so GPA dependent my logic is that wouldn't a P be better than a B especially if it's econ or data science and NOT a science pre-req?
Since you realize med school is GPA dependent, why would you think they would be okay with your giving them a transcript without grades from which to calculate a GPA? :cool:

It might very well be fine, since you'll be several years out of school and they aren't prereqs, but, if Berkeley is frowning on it and you know it's not going to put you at a competitive advantage to the thousands of fellow applicants who won't be doing it, why take the chance? One or two Bs will not derail an application, period.

Most people asking about Ps on SDN are asking about masking Cs, which is what it will look like you are doing. I'm no expert, but I don't think it's worth the risk or the bother. JMHO as a fellow premed. Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)

No one will ever care.

Reactions: 4 users
No one will ever care.

Care about what, specifically? Like I'm not sure if you're saying they won't care about my reasoning behind P/NP, or if you're saying it's okay for me to use P/NP.

And the answer to them was yes, except the lazy UG part. No one will think that.

A P is not an F. It's OK
That's right -- it's a C that doesn't go into your GPA calculation, and it's as okay as a C is!!! :cool:

Be VERY careful before you convert Bs to Ps. You might end up inadvertently hurting yourself, maybe not at @Goro's DO school, but at competitive MD schools where maybe a few Bs won't hurt you, even with the ding to your GPA, but implied Cs very well could.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
I don't see why they would care if they are non-science courses and your GPA is still high. Calculate what your GPA would be if you get Bs and then decide what would be best for you.

Reactions: 1 users
That's right -- it's a C that doesn't go into your GPA calculation, and it's as okay as a C is!!! :cool:

Be VERY careful before you convert Bs to Ps. You might end up inadvertently hurting yourself, maybe not at @Goro's DO school, but at competitive MD schools where maybe a few Bs won't hurt you, even with the ding to your GPA, but implied Cs very well could.

I'm not sure if all adcoms equate Passes to C's without GPA weight

@Goro

Reactions: 1 user
I'm applying this cycle, and speaking from personal experience, I have yet to attend an interview where my P/NP'ed non-requisite/non-science classes were questioned.

I worried about this too when applying, but I also heard from many people that it would not matter. If you do get asked, an honest explanation should suffice. I have an interview at a T5 school that asked about P/NP classes on their secondary, and I provided a simple 1 or 2 sentence explanation. Still got the interview.

Reactions: 3 users
It's fine, it's just a couple classes. As long as you've done well in your med school prereqs and this doesn't become a pattern of P/Fing some classes in the future it's not a big deal

I would take B over P any day for any class.

Reactions: 1 user
It's fine, it's just a couple classes. As long as you've done well in your med school prereqs and this doesn't become a pattern of P/Fing some classes in the future it's not a big deal
I got a B- in Organic Chemistry 1 and a B+ in math and stats (3 classes). Overall science GPA is a 3.5-3.6

I got a B- in Organic Chemistry 1 and a B+ in math and stats (3 classes). Overall science GPA is a 3.5-3.6
So what are your options? Keep what you have or take 3 Ps for BCPM or do some combination of them?

Would you say the same about P/Fing a class that you need for your degree? It is a 2-semester course and I am taking the grade semester 1 and considering semester 2 to P/F so I can be a lazy on my academics (really easy classes with this but those for grade) to focus on ECs and MCAT?