DO + Pathology = good match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danjou

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A not-yet-in-med-school planning question:

I'm interested in going into pathology (forensic pathology, to be specific). I also find the concepts of DO to be intriguing. Does it make sense to attend/apply to a DO school when I ultimately want to do forensic pathology? I only wonder as DO schools seem to focus on primary care. Would they look at me like I'm crazy if I apply to DO and tell then I want to specialize? Would I get laughed at when trying for my residency in pathology with a DO instead of an MD?

I know they say that DO's go into all specialities, but I have yet to see a DO school or info blurb mention pathology specifically. And in a contact list of forensic path. fellowship programs, none of the docs listed had a DO.

Members don't see this ad.

If the residency is competitive, being a DO is a disadvantage. I know pathology is currently not competitive and there has been a couple from NYCOM who placed in allopathic pathology residencies in the 90's. I'm not sure on the state of forensic pathology, competitveness that is. However, if you go DO, I strongly suggest you to do what you can to make yourself an attractive candidate for allopathic PDs. I urge you to do well in school, TAKE THE USLME, and early in your 4th year do electives at pathology programs (specifically ones with forensic pathology fellowships) that you wish to attend for your residency. Also, PD's of competitive programs like candidates to have research in that specific field.

If you do these, it's very likely that you will obtain your desired career, MD or DO students alike.

Hi

The "better" forensic programs (like New Mexico) seem to like people they know - you could substantially increase your chances of getting a forensic fellowship by doing med school at the same place you wanted to residency/fellowship or also by doing rotations there as both a med student and a resident. When people know you, like you and respect your abilities after working with you - they will not care whether you are a DO or an MD. That said, there is little advantage to having manipulation skills in pathology - don't think I need to expand upon why :wink: .

A word of caution however, the vast majority of my classmates ended up in a specialty quite "distant" from the one they thought they'd pursue at the beginning of medicine. I would keep your ultimate goal in mind - but don't limit yourself too much right now.

cheers,

M-

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. Being the dummy I am, I found after I posted this that the topic has already been answered and discussed on the Osteopath board :oops: , so apologies for being redundant.

And for anyone who is interested, go to the Osteopath board - there is a link to the College of Osteopath Pathologists webpage (answers my question, huh?).