Do people ever get rejected after interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waitlisted

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What am I doing wrong here?
This is my second time applying and the first time I applied I interviewed at four schools and got waitlisted at them all. This time I interviewed at six schools so far and have been waitlisted at three with three left to hear from.

Just wanna know what the hell it is I am doing wrong at these interviews. I feel like they go well, but who knows!!

Do schools ever straight out reject after interviews?
They need to stop playing with my emotions

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know. Trying to figure this out myself. I interviewed in October and heard a few weeks later that I was still under review. Same as waitlist I guess. What are the chances of getting in later if not accepted outright? Anyone know?

Any websites that list the number of people each school interviews?

totally... last year i got flat-out rejections post georgetown, mcp hahnemann interviews... though i think it is more common AKA polite to waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
This early in the application cycle many schools offer waitlist spots to borderline applicants and accept those with high stats. It sucks, I know:( When the people with high stats finally decide where they want to attend then spots open up for the rest of us. Some say it is good to interview early but I fervently think that in some cases it can be harmful. Sure, schools are on rolling admissions but they are waiting to see what the applicant pool will be like that year and waitlist a lot of students in hopes that the "super" applicants will atend their schools. Then they open up spots as more and more top applicants go to top schools. Schools should learn, esp. lower tier schoos that they are really dreaming if they think the limited number of applicants with stellar scores, GPA's and EC's are going to attend their school. They need to be realistic just like applicants need to be realistic about which schools they apply to.:D

waitlisted i feel your pain.. i am a 2nd time applicant too. and this time i have interviewed at 8 schools and waitlisted at four. i am a very borderline applicant too and its seriously messing with my emotions. i mean what more does it take. i have been waiting for about a year and a half and dont get me wrong i am very thankful for getting interviews this time around .. but sheesh i dont really know how much more i can take. my story gets better. last year aamcas underreported my gpa and by the time they fixed it it was too late.. and i was so burnt out .. that i was too tired to fight anymore.... and this year ... the same saga continues... i dont know...it epitomizes the feeling of powerlessness and cant help but picture 6 big fat men with cigars sitting around a table and plaintly toying with the majority of pre-med students around america!!!! I feel you!

with the exception of having been accepted, calipaww, our experiences are uncannily similar. hang tight- with 8 interviews you will be accepted somewhere.... its just a matter of time

-sham

so there is hope.. congrats sham! i think i remember you from last application cycle. I am soooo happy that it worked out!!! hopefully i get some mailman love soon:)) :love:

Originally posted by calipaww
. last year aamcas underreported my gpa and by the time they fixed it it was too late..

hey cali, i wish you good luck and hope things work out this cycle! keep your head up!

i have a question though. i don't really know much about the AMCAS system as I will be applying next June, but how did AMCAS underreport your gpa? did they just botch something up or is it common for sci / AO gpa's to drop slightly on AMCAS due to different schools' grading system?

no they just put some of my classes in the wrong categories and counted them as non sci classes when they should have been in my sci gpa. but its all fixed this year. SO watch out for this when they verify your application to your transcripts

Originally posted by TaylorS8008
I don't know. Trying to figure this out myself. I interviewed in October and heard a few weeks later that I was still under review. Same as waitlist I guess. What are the chances of getting in later if not accepted outright? Anyone know?

Any websites that list the number of people each school interviews?

Yeah USNEWS.com's website (not the same as the printed version). Online is about 10 bucks, but if you wanna just know a school or two, just ask and I will look it up for you.

X

Yeah X, that would be cool. I'd like to know about the two LSU's- New Orleans and Shreveport. Also Tulane if ya don't mind looking it up.

Originally posted by Waitlisted
What am I doing wrong here?
This is my second time applying and the first time I applied I interviewed at four schools and got waitlisted at them all. This time I interviewed at six schools so far and have been waitlisted at three with three left to hear from.

Just wanna know what the hell it is I am doing wrong at these interviews. I feel like they go well, but who knows!!

Do schools ever straight out reject after interviews?
They need to stop playing with my emotions

rejection from rochester post-interview.

schools can flat out reject students at any time, this includes post interview.

the way it works at several schools that I know of is this:

each week a certain number of students are interviewed. After this set of interviews, the individuals who interviewed serve to represent you at a meeting of the admissions committee. Those who interview you basically give their recommendation and defend you as they see fit. At the end of this meeting, the students are ranked. Generally, the top 1-2 students are immediately accepted (if after Oct 15, even though I have heard of acceptances offered earlier), the majority are put on hold, and if need be, students can be rejected.

The students in the hold pool come up for re-evaluation as the interview season progresses, and may be admitted or rejected at any time. this allows for the rolling admissions process to ensure a strong incoming class while maintaining a good class size, based on accepted students rejections and acceptances of admission (i.e. if one of the top picks from a given week is issued an acceptance, but decides that he/she doesnt want to go, and issues a rejection right away, this opens up a spot to bring someone up from the hold pile, or and extra spot for the following interview week)

hope this helps.

Last year:

13 interviews
2 rejections (Georgetown & Albert Einstein)
3 Acceptances +1 acceptance from a waitlist
8 waitlists (I took myself off 4, and at the end of July was still on 4 when UCSF accepted me and I took myslef off the other 3)

So absolutely, if they *know* they don't want you, they'll let you know right away.

Good luck.

Originally posted by TaylorS8008
Yeah X, that would be cool. I'd like to know about the two LSU's- New Orleans and Shreveport. Also Tulane if ya don't mind looking it up.

Just saw this, so sorry didn't reply earlier.

Ok unfortunately there is no info for the two LSU schools. Maybe they don't release it or something.
For Tulane (even though the basta*** rejected me already): Oops same problem.

I have no idea why all these three have no info. Let me see if I can dig up something.

Ok here is what I could find, sorry it's not much:

FOR ACCEPTED STUDENTS

LSU (new orleans)- avg. GPA 3.6, V 9.2, P 9.2
B 9.6,
LSU (Shreveport) - GPA 3.5, V 9, P 8.4, B 8.9,
TULANE - GPA 3.53, V 10, P 10.3, B 10.6

X

yes they do. just work on your interview skills a little more, and you should be alright.

Originally posted by Yogi Bear
rejection from rochester post-interview.

When did you interview and when did you hear? I interviewed there awhile back and still nothing. Sure I'm a MD/PhD applicant there, but the MD program at Rochester has to accept me before my file goes to the MD/PhD committee.

Ok nevermind, I got rejected from Rochester too. The letter is at my parents house and I haven't looked to see whether it is MD or MD/PhD, but either rejection means that I won't go there.

Originally posted by Neuronix
When did you interview and when did you hear? I interviewed there awhile back and still nothing. Sure I'm a MD/PhD applicant there, but the MD program at Rochester has to accept me before my file goes to the MD/PhD committee.

i don't have the exact date w/ me now but i think it was around the third week of september.

It sucks, the whole admissions thing. I applied three times with a strong application. Finally got in. I was saying the same thing you are, what am I doing wrong? The medical schools I called after the waitlists did not come through said, nothing, just bad luck. you have a strong application, good interview skills, just too many people applying.Try again next year. I did, got even more interviews, even more wait lists (i think my max waitlist number was 6 different schools at the same time) My third time it finally worked. So, good luck, if it is what you want to do, then keep trying. Call schools up and find out were your application is weak and work on them as you apply from year to year. good luck!