Do people lie in their Extra Curricular Activites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xbocker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if people really do lie when typing out their extra curricular activities such as leadership experiences say Tutoring etc. Or saying you volunteered at some place. Would the adcom require you to have a form or anything that proves you tutored somewhere? or Volunteered at a certain place? How about joining clubs, how would they know if youre lying or not?

P.S Ive already submitted my application so Im not going to cheat but I think it would be unfair to the honest people.

Members don't see this ad.

I was 100% honest in typing out my extracurricular activities, although I wouldn't be surprised if people exaggerate their hour counts.

One of the many purposes of interviews is to determine if the interviewer is honest or not. For example, I read about one applicant who indicated that he did boating as an extracurricular, but one of his interviewers happened to be an avid boater, and he blew his interview.

I think many interview committees individually pick who each candidate will be interviewing with based on similar interests and activities. For example, in one of my interviews so far I had an interviewer who was a musician, and asked me a couple questions about the music I play on the guitar.

I wouldn't put it past some people lie about what they have done, its just the nature of the beast. However, those type of people (hopefully) would be weeded out in the interview process. You have to have specifics and if all you have is specific lies, people can usually tell.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lying when you are pursuing a professional degree is like tying a butcher knife to a flimsy string above your head and you can get cut at almost anytime
Anyway, the bottom line is: once someone finds out, you'll get your degree revoked. that's 4 years and $150k for dental school!
But if you can do it very very discretely and kill off anyone who even suspect you of lying, you'll be fine :p (that would mean killing off a lot of people... like your siblings, your siblings close friends, your close friends etc)

Anyway, the bottom line is: once someone finds out, you'll get your degree revoked. that's 4 years and $150k for dental school!

Haha, you really think they'll find out 4 years down the road that you weren't really an avid boater and revoke your degree because of it?

Haha, you really think they'll find out 4 years down the road that you weren't really an avid boater and revoke your degree because of it?

They're viscous that way. :rolleyes:

They're viscous that way. :rolleyes:

Everything I put down on my application is 99% true. That 1% is because sometimes I dont remember the EXACT hours of my volunteer services. I would say they're pretty close though. But ya, I am pretty sure some people LIE a lot on their applications.

for several of my extracurricular activities, i did not know the hours. i did not attempt to estimate as i felt it was dishonest. so i stated the known months i've done these activities, and left it at that.

I imagine it's just a lot more common to report bogus leadership positions or exaggerate their contribution to a club. I heard a friend who is going into optometry say every member of their pre-optometry club was named vice-president (all at the same time) with a few presidents.

Probably nearly as common as people on SDN lying about DAT scores....oh wait, god forbid we question the consistent absurdly high scores...jesus, let's check predents to make sure they aren't lying! oh no!...it's no more difficult to fabricate there...oh man, listen...let's just all believe each other because that's the ethical way to do it! yeah!