Do people normally drive to their away rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermhopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hadn't even thought of that until now...

But unless you go somewhere like NYC, Chicago, etc where public transportation is very prevalent, I guess most people need to rent a car or drive right?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd recommend just asking the residents for a ride every morning.
Lol I guess I just never imagined driving halfway across the country for an away but that's prob bc I didn't think about it enough.

So A better question is do people drive 10-15 hours or just go and rent a car

Members don't see this ad :)
Like others have said, unless the hospital is downtown in a major city with reliable public transportation, you'll be saving a lot of money just driving out there. Plus, its nice to have a car handy for shopping, going out on weekends, and exploring the city.

I don't understand. You just sublet a place and rent a car.

On a more serious note:

a) You've somehow managed to get to school and work everyday of your adult life thus far without needing a message board's advice on how to do it.

b) 10-15 hours is not that far a drive. If that is the range you're talking about, save yourself the money and drive your car.

c) When I researched housing options for west coast away rotations, I made sure to sublet somewhere in walking distance.

On a more serious note:

a) You've somehow managed to get to school and work everyday of your adult life thus far without needing a message board's advice on how to do it.

b) 10-15 hours is not that far a drive. If that is the range you're talking about, save yourself the money and drive your car.

c) When I researched housing options for west coast away rotations, I made sure to sublet somewhere in walking distance.
Thanks I appreciate it. But I really wasn't asking for advice, more so wondering what people normally do.

I also was hoping to hear some schools provide housing for rent near the hospital but I guess not haha.

Just another thing that I overlooked when trying to decide where to do my aways, not a cry for help lol

I did 3 aways. Two were ~15-hour drives from home and I took my car. One was clear on the other side of the country and I flew there and rented a car. Obviously it's much cheaper if you can drive yourself, but it's not always feasible with time constraints you may be dealing with.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much is it to rent a car for 4wks? It's gotta be expensivr

So where do you sleep at those away rotations?

Please, please,please...:xf:We never had a surgical oncology surgeon answer questions before. It's koo if you don't want to. :cool:
Its not that I don't want to but those threads become very lengthy and I would be unable to keep up with it (I don't want to start something I can't devote enough time to) and I only do breast surg onc, which is probably only of interest to a small number of people.

Its not that I don't want to but those threads become very lengthy and I would be unable to keep up with it (I don't want to start something I can't devote enough time to) and I only do breast surg onc, which is probably only of interest to a small number of people.
I understand. :thumbup: