Do people treat you differently when you’re a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calipremed5768

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Backstory: so I ran into an acquaintance from high school today and surprisingly enough my social anxiety didn’t prevent me from saying hello. She was always pretty lukewarm to me in high school but after she asked what I was up to and I told her I’m applying to med school she seemed to become overly friendly (could even say flirtatious I guess). Her boyfriend works at a pizza place in town (no stalker~I’m friends with him on Facebook. It was weird.

So non premed SDNers, did people begin treating you different in med school/residency/becoming a doctor?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Backstory: so I ran into an acquaintance from high school today and surprisingly enough my social anxiety didn’t prevent me from saying hello. She was always pretty lukewarm to me in high school but after she asked what I was up to and I told her I’m applying to med school she seemed to become overly friendly (could even say flirtatious I guess). Her boyfriend works at a pizza place in town (no stalker~I’m friends with him on Facebook. It was weird.

So non premed SDNers, did people begin treating you different in med school/residency/becoming a doctor?

Why not try posting this in the Medical Forum? You're likely to have a better audience there. I do find this question amusing, however.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn’t even know there was a medical form lol

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Why not try posting this in the Medical Forum? You're likely to have a better audience there. I do find this question amusing, however.
They really don’t like premeds posting in the medical forums. That is for doctors to talk about doctor things. Same with even making posts in the med student forums.

Reactions: 6 users
They really don’t like premeds posting in the medical forums. That is for doctors to talk about doctor things. Same with even making posts in the med student forums.

Interesting! Thanks

Who cares if they don't like it. Obviously we have questions and they don't come to us so it's easier to post there.

Who cares if they don't like it. Obviously we have questions and they don't come to us so it's easier to post there.
No, I mean like the Mods will move your post to Pre-Allo. If they allowed premeds to post in the medical forums, then it would be nothing but premeds asking doctors questions. Thus, while it is not explicitly against TOS, something has to be extra super special and pertinent to physicians themselves in order for a premed post to stay there.

Are you kidding, as soon as you tell people what your career plans are, you'll be badgered with medical questions. The worst onslaught will come from family. So get used to this a LOT

"Cal, Uncle Yotkin has cancer...what do know about that???"

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
Are you kidding, as soon as you tell people what your career plans are, you'll be badgered with medical questions. The worst onslaught will come from family. So get used to this a LOT

Do you ever get this as an adcom?

“Hey uncle Goro works for a med school, he probably knows about that boil!”

Reactions: 2 users
The premed forums are for premeds to post. There are plenty of physicians and med students that come here to answer.

As for your question, some people will and some people won’t. I just started med school this year and I have had people change their demeanor if they find out (I say if because I don’t like to advertise it).

And yes, people will ask you medical questions immediately. Someone in my family just asked me what I thought about some symptoms her friend is having.

Reactions: 3 users

My little brother started pimping me today about anatomy. I'm not even in medical school :cryi:

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Not even a little bit (some people get a bit horrified by your work hours but other than that not really).

Reactions: 1 users

Yes, hitting on girls has become exponentially easier, especially when I drop the fact that I'm "in medical school" and "going to be a doctor"

• Haha
I look like a punk surfer/skater with long blonde hair so sometimes even when I’m in scrubs patients don’t believe I’m an actual doctor. This is nice because I usually play incognito anywhere I go. I rarely tell anyone I don’t know I’m a doctor because I think people who flaunt that crap are annoying.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
I look like a punk surfer/skater with long blonde hair so sometimes even when I’m in scrubs patients don’t believe I’m an actual doctor. This is nice because I usually play incognito anywhere I go. I rarely tell anyone I don’t know I’m a doctor because I think people who flaunt that crap are annoying.

In my mind..... you now look like Lucius Malfoy.

Attachments

• 364EFBA9-4EEE-4ADE-9DEF-FDD3E53D81DC.jpeg
    364EFBA9-4EEE-4ADE-9DEF-FDD3E53D81DC.jpeg
    41.8 KB · Views: 59
I rarely tell anyone I don’t know I’m a doctor because I think people who flaunt that crap are annoying.
What, you don't wear your lab coat with a giant picture of your face on it everywhere you go???

To be fair at least scrubs are fairly comfortable. I've seen people at the gym working out in jeans which seems awful.

.... Like this?

1567230876034.png

• Love
Well people who don’t look like a surfer model have to flaunt something

• Wow
To be fair at least scrubs are fairly comfortable. I've seen people at the gym working out in jeans which seems awful.

They’re also disgusting after being on the floor or in the ED. People who wear them to the gym are either wearing clean ones to show off or are bringing the nastiness everywhere. Both of those are gross.

55ABDB00-24AD-44FB-8460-012E668D1320.png

This will be me if people ask me for medical advice

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users