• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

do people who write ur LORs ever find out....

neopentane

10+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
if u got accepted or not, or the fact that u applied or not....do they get some type of email.....

b/c the thing is that i got 3 good LORs from prof but unfor couldnt apply this yr......so if i go and tell them that i did apply but got rejected will they find out that i never did apply......i mean i just dont want them to feel bad that they wrote LOR for no purpose:confused:

anybody know....

creestoL

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
no, i dont think they will find out that information except through you..
also i'm sure the ppl who wrote ur LORs wont feel like its wasted even if they knew, because you're going to apply eventually anyway, so you can send it then

KellyBean

10+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2007
In the middle of nowhere
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Don't tell them that you applied and didn't get accepted. Just tell them that things happened and you weren't able to apply this year. There is no reason to lie to them about it. I signed up for pharmcas and had one of my professors wrote me a letter. I ended up not applying. This year, I wrote him an email and asked him to write me another letter. I wrote him twice. He never wrote back. Then I went to Pharmcas and put his name and email address down and guess what?? I checked Pharmcas and it was there the very next day. He's probably the meanest professor I've ever known, but he writes the darn best letter. I didn't expect it at all. He wrote me another one last year (hard copy). I didn't use it so I read it and it was unbelievably good. People do surprise you sometimes.

About the Ads

Ray1234

10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
if u got accepted or not, or the fact that u applied or not....do they get some type of email.....

b/c the thing is that i got 3 good LORs from prof but unfor couldnt apply this yr......so if i go and tell them that i did apply but got rejected will they find out that i never did apply......i mean i just dont want them to feel bad that they wrote LOR for no purpose:confused:

anybody know....

I feel sorry about that. But, could you rethink on your decision looking at moral and ethical perspective. I am not saying that lying is good thing to do. But, at the same time, i am not saying that tell the truth to your prof. and let them feel bad about their wasted efforts.
Your profs will never find that out if you applied in pharm schools or not. So you can lie and cut this one moment of sad or bad feeling of their wasted efforts from their life.
Or you can tell them the truth and let them experience the moment that you did not want them to.
Or, you can think it differently like: when you tell them the truth that you did not apply this year, they will feel proud about you for being honest and letting them know which otherwise they would never have known.
Or, in the worst scenario, they might feel that you were not as serious about pharm school or you may be very much careless than they thought and sad part of the story is that you still wanted them to write a strong recommendation letter next year too and you do not want them to feel like you are careless.

There are so many ways to look at the issue. i do respect your intention for not letting them feel about their wasted effort. Had i been in your shoes, I would have thought about the same thing. You do not want to hurt others so do i.

In interview for pharmacy school, you might be asked about ethical dilemma or moral dilemma you have faced in your life. You want to answer them as well.

Take it as an opportunity of self growth and find the best answer that you think justify your act with minimal adverse effect.

Life will never be perfect unless you think it is perfect.

Ray

sdn1977

10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2005
Status (Visible)
I've written lots of LORs & I've never been given the outcome. Sometimes I get an acknowledgement of my letter's arrival, but not always - so there is no "sure" way.

Frankly, after I write & send it - its out of my hands & not my issue anymore.

mustangrolla

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
La Mirada, Ca
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I've written lots of LORs & I've never been given the outcome. Sometimes I get an acknowledgement of my letter's arrival, but not always - so there is no "sure" way.

Frankly, after I write & send it - its out of my hands & not my issue anymore.

but on the other hand, if you did get in, is it recommended to tell the writers that you got accepted? do the writers usually want to know the outcome?

I have some professors from JC's who wrote me a letter and i haven't kept in touch since then. Should I email all my writers to inform them?

B

BeatrixKiddo

anybody know....

Whoa whoa whoa. Hold up. You want to be a doctor and YOU'RE CONSIDERING LIEING?! THIS SAYS A LOT ABOUT YOUR MORALS.

tc970106

10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
but on the other hand, if you did get in, is it recommended to tell the writers that you got accepted? do the writers usually want to know the outcome?

I have some professors from JC's who wrote me a letter and i haven't kept in touch since then. Should I email all my writers to inform them?

I think emailing them is a good idea. It's a simple courtesy to let them know where you are going and to thank them for their help. And plus you will get a nice congratulations email back. I'm sure they will be really happy to hear the good news.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.