1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

do people with an F get in?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by elvingomez, May 6, 2004.

1. elvingomez

elvingomez Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

just wondering if people with an F sometime in college got in... if so, what was it in?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Spitting Camel

Spitting Camel Anteater for Life!
    7+ Year Member

You should re-take any Fs in science classes, but I don't know about others. Of course you will need to pass all graduation requirements, so you will have to take those over. A general rule is to show you can get back on the horse that you fell off of.

4. elvingomez

elvingomez Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i re took my only F in freshmen year and replaced it with an A. I have had great grades since, but i am a senior now in my last quarter, and claculus :scared: isn't looking good right now.....

5. pathdr2b

pathdr2b Membership Revoked
    Removed

Let's just say that a better question for me might be what didn't I get an "F" in!! :laugh: "D"'s and "F" in Chemistry classes followed years later by an MS in Chemsitry. Go Figure :confused:

You CAN turn it around but it helps to put some distance between the "F" and your application to med school! And yes, I did retake the classes (as an undergraduate chemistry major) both for grad school and medical school admission!

6. curlycity

curlycity Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    gomez: two c's in a row here for calc I & II. better luck to you...but it can be overcome :)

7. lotanna

lotanna Child of God
    7+ Year Member

had 1 F in Eukaryotic cell bio, didnt feel bad, at least 10 of us had to retake it, and dept had to change 1 of the profs :rolleyes: Retook it, did ok, passed, and hey i made it in :D

8. tobiko

tobiko Member
    7+ Year Member

F in physics II, re-took it and got a D!!!! I also have a couple of C's. but the rest are A's.

I had a decent physical science MCAT score and pointed to it saying i had a good handle on the material. Also explained some issues that contributed to my awful grades...

I'm in at UVa (in-state) and Tufts.

one caveat is that I went to MIT...

9. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I had an F in Freshman year physics. I had plenty of other bad grades, but that was the only F I remember.

10. yup, if you show an upward trend in your GPA

11. hamhamfan

hamhamfan internet fairy
    7+ Year Member

I'm applying this year too. I'm kind of worried about the F in my first college class (Calc during the summer before freshman year). However, I've gotten only one B and otherwise all my other grades are fine. *crosses fingers*

12. terpgirl

terpgirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'll be applying next application cycle with an W, and 3 withdraws :) At this point in my life, I'm not honestly not caring about those grades anymore... I was really ill, school was stupid and it wasn't like I was slacking off.

-Liz

13. Notzfall

Notzfall NREMT-P, MS-IV
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wow. Maybe this is a personal flaw, but I practically had a siezure and then went into depression when I got my B in Physics I. I guess because I know how competitive it is, I try so hard to make things perfect. However, I am learning on the boards and with the physicians I work with that schools are not looking for perfect scores; they're looking for the perfect doctor. But with the F? That's a tough one. I knew someone who was rejected because he had a 3.0GPA...no F's.

14. Fish3715

Fish3715 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

The average GPA for matriculants is around a 3.5.

15. 34140

34140 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

What was their MCAT?

That means I have NO chance :(

16. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    No, i got 19 allo interviews with a 3.1. Its more than just your GPA.

Incidentally I flunked calculus my 1st semester, and got a D+ the following semester, and i made it out in one piece. There is almost always a way to make it up.

17. terpgirl

terpgirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Notzfall,

I understand where you're coming from. When I got my F--actually when I went to the dean and she refused to back me (background--missed 2 bio exams because I was in the ER, had a B in the tough class that I had spent so much time studying for, but I was never allowed to make up the exams... nor withdraw from the course...), I was in tears. On the phone with the dean I sobbed--I don't know if it was the F or the attitude I got. But when grades were available and I saw that F there, knowing it would be there forever, my heart sunk. That was around 6pm, and by midnight I got over it. I was a perfectionist, but finally learned there was SO much I couldn't control--and this was one of them. That made me feel a lot better, knowing I tried really hard and was successful until I fell ill and my reason for failing was out of my hands, not my fault at all.

-Liz

18. getcloned

getcloned Hilton Magician
    10+ Year Member

x

#17 getcloned, May 6, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  19. OnMyWayThere

OnMyWayThere OMS-III
    10+ Year Member

There exist people with 4.0 who get rejected as well. Don't take this comment too much to heart because there is a lot of other information missing (no offense Notzfall) such as ECs, Volunteer work, communication skills at interview, personal statement, ...........

You can make up for screw ups, ESPECIALLY if they're old. I have more than one F but they're from 7-9 years ago. They will be factored into my GPA but I have hope and am applying.

20. CoverMe

CoverMe Registered Republican
    7+ Year Member

Gosh I hope so... i have several from 92-93. I was such a moron the first time around!! There are a few classes that i don't remember EVER going to... don't remember signing up for them for THAT matter. So, i managed to replace my math grades with an A and a B+, replacing psych with an A (how the HELL one manages to flunk psych 101 is beyond me). So... all i can say is, even with all those old BAD grades, i'm up to a 3.5... surely that will be considered.