Quantcast

Do perfect interviews guarantee acceptance?

Clinical Shadowing Summer '22 Programs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dohopeful12345

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a candidate has a perfect interview, but when the committee is reviewing his/her file again and pass them up due to something like lower stats than other applicants. Does this sometimes happen? Or does an II mean youre in as long as you interview well?

altblue

7+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    What does a perfect interview even mean?

Reactions: 4 users

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
    Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    If a candidate has a perfect interview, but when the committee is reviewing his/her file again and pass them up due to something like lower stats than other applicants. Does this sometimes happen? Or does an II mean youre in as long as you interview well?

No, it absolutely does NOT mean your are in.

1) This assumes/presumes that a committee has made a decision on who would make a good physician, one of the most important, intimate professions based solely on paper. It would be folly to expect that paper would solely define the interpersonal skills and personal characteristics of who would be a good doctor.

2) Schools get thousands of applications that are reduced to a several hundred interview slots that are reduced to a few hundred acceptances and wait list spots that reduced to a hundred or so matriculants. Anywhere from under 20% to over 60% of interviewees get an acceptance.

3) all aspects of your application: academic metrics, W&A, PS, Secondary, and interview are looked at for admissions. There is no way to say were you the top choice for an II or the lucky last one to make it.

4) This is an Olympic class event where everyone competing is good to great. However, like the Olympics, only the top few actually get to win a medal. Just because you had a "perfect" interview, doesnt mean someone else didnt have a better one.

5) most people are absolutely unable to judge their own interview performance. If the number of people who tell me near tears they had a terrible interview and then get accepted is an indicator, those who think they had a "perfect" interview and assume that they are "in like Flynn" probably are shock from rejection.

6) as I tell every applicant, from the start, assume rejection and start working on enhancing your record from the moment your file your AMCAS in case of reapplication. This would be especially true for those who have say lower stats but the belief that they had a perfect interview

Reactions: 4 users

Goro

Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Nope, if your stats are borderline, or something in your app is questionable (like a bad LOR or some other red flag), the bulk of the Adcom may reject you over the wishes of the interviewers. I've seen this happen at my school.
    For more info, see this:
    Goro's Guide to Interviews: The View from Behind the Curtain

Reactions: 1 user

Lawpy

31 ★ The L is for Lend No Okays
    7+ Year Member
    SDN Ambassador
    Reaction score
    Reactions: 2 users

raiderette

7+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    I had one interview that seemed perfect to me. I clicked with the interviewer so well that we went over the interview time. I didn't get into that school immediately, waiting on the wait list for months. You can be the best, but you can't control everyone else. Be patient.

Lawpy

31 ★ The L is for Lend No Okays
    7+ Year Member
    SDN Ambassador
    Reaction score
    To build a wait list.
    Nope, if your stats are borderline, or something in your app is questionable (like a bad LOR or some other red flag), the bulk of the Adcom may reject you over the wishes of the interviewers. I've seen this happen at my school.
    For more info, see this:
    Goro's Guide to Interviews: The View from Behind the Curtain

Didn't see waitlists mentioned, since I thought Goro was talking about post-interview rejections. Waitlists would make sense but rejecting applicants post-interview because of red flags despite good interview performance just seems like wasting interview resources.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Why interview these applicants in the first place?
    Some borderline applicants may be better described as uneven, or rising. Additionally, they may extensive service, compelling life story, strong evidence for primary care or rural care.... you can make the argument that a 3.5 GPA/502 MCAT has the shown the basic academic qualifications to be considered for medical school. Now does that make them competitive? It might depending on the rest of their application

Goro

Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Didn't see waitlists mentioned, since I thought Goro was talking about post-interview rejections. Waitlists would make sense but rejecting applicants post-interview because of red flags despite good interview performance just seems like wasting interview rs a fatresources.
    My apologies...wait listing is what I was thinking of as a fate.

Last edited:

Dagrimsta1

Current Representation of MS-4
    7+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Nothings a guarantee In this life. That being said being able to communicate well is very important and will get you far.

Reactions: 1 users

efle

not an elf
    7+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    At most schools, isn't the decision to interview made by a couple of reviewers while the decision to admit is a full group vote? Someone could get lucky and have an app narrative that resonated with their initial application reviewers but that didn't impress the group enough.

Reactions: 3 users

MangoTea8

Reaction score
    No, it absolutely does NOT mean your are in.
    3) all aspects of your application: academic metrics, W&A, PS, Secondary, and interview are looked at for admissions. There is no way to say were you the top choice for an II or the lucky last one to make it.

So does the timing of II say anything about whether you're a "top choice" or "lucky last one" for a school on paper? In terms of getting invited immediately vs. toward the end of the cycle despite being complete on the same date?

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    So does the timing of II say anything about whether you're a "top choice" or "lucky last one" for a school on paper? In terms of getting invited immediately vs. toward the end of the cycle despite being complete on the same date?
    It says you have an interview and reading into to this, to speculate, to wonder, to find some tiny glimmer of whatever, accomplishes nothing. Much to go reread your primary and secondary, research the school, and prep for interview

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    At most schools, isn't the decision to interview made by a couple of reviewers while the decision to admit is a full group vote? Someone could get lucky and have an app narrative that resonated with their initial application reviewers but that didn't impress the group enough.

Depends how the school works but generally a smaller team, subcomittee or similar will approve for II but a formal vote by an adcom is required by LCME for admissions.

hhap1234

Reaction score
    So even after the interview, a gpa can be a reason for not getting in? For context I have a LM of 73-74, so my gpa isn’t great but my MCAT is on the higher end. It doesn’t make total sense to me why they would take the time and effort to interview me if something as simple/straightforward as my gpa would be the thing that kept me back

cj_cregg

7+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    So even after the interview, a gpa can be a reason for not getting in? For context I have a LM of 73-74, so my gpa isn’t great but my MCAT is on the higher end. It doesn’t make total sense to me why they would take the time and effort to interview me if something as simple/straightforward as my gpa would be the thing that kept me back
    After the interview, your GPA can be part of the reason for not getting in. If your GPA alone was enough to reject you, you wouldn't get an interview. If you interview fantastic, you'd probably get in. If your interview isn't strong enough to compensate for a bit weaker GPA, you're out of luck. But it's not just the GPA that kept you out, it's multiple components of your application.

hhap1234

Reaction score
    Thanks for the response! I recently interviewed at a great school and both interviews I felt went really well. They were the most relaxed and conversational interviews I’ve ever had and both lasted well over the scheduled time. I know nothing is guaranteed, but that makes me feel better for now!

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Reaction score

Your entire application, including academic metrics, W&A, PS, Secondary, interviews (multiple interviewers or MMI), fully evaluated and scored/classified, then voted on. Then if approved, considered for seat placement (immediate acceptance or alternate/WL).

In a simplistic example lets suppose pre-interview schools weighs areas as
    40% academic
    30% primary
    30% secondary

Post interview it may change
    50% interview
    20% academic
    15% primary
    15% secondary

And of course you have no idea that matter how good you are, how many other people are better. This is like an olympic class event where it only the top 3 finishers take home medals. The rest may have only be fractions of a second behind them, but they go home with nothing

BabyDaddy

Reaction score
    Nope, if your stats are borderline, or something in your app is questionable (like a bad LOR or some other red flag),...

Bad LOR? Oxymoron? lol, Do people get these?

BabyDaddy

Reaction score
    No such thing as a perfect interview, no such thing as a guarantee.

500miles

2+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    do perfect interviews garuntee acceptances?
    The title of this thread reminds me of the thread that said "if lifestyle is my #1 priority, should I go to medical school?"

Answer to both: NO