Do perfect interviews guarantee acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dohopeful12345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a candidate has a perfect interview, but when the committee is reviewing his/her file again and pass them up due to something like lower stats than other applicants. Does this sometimes happen? Or does an II mean youre in as long as you interview well?

Members don't see this ad.

What does a perfect interview even mean?

Reactions: 4 users
If a candidate has a perfect interview, but when the committee is reviewing his/her file again and pass them up due to something like lower stats than other applicants. Does this sometimes happen? Or does an II mean youre in as long as you interview well?
Nope, if your stats are borderline, or something in your app is questionable (like a bad LOR or some other red flag), the bulk of the Adcom may reject you over the wishes of the interviewers. I've seen this happen at my school.
For more info, see this:
Goro's Guide to Interviews: The View from Behind the Curtain

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 2 users
I had one interview that seemed perfect to me. I clicked with the interviewer so well that we went over the interview time. I didn't get into that school immediately, waiting on the wait list for months. You can be the best, but you can't control everyone else. Be patient.

Reactions: 1 user
To build a wait list.
Nope, if your stats are borderline, or something in your app is questionable (like a bad LOR or some other red flag), the bulk of the Adcom may reject you over the wishes of the interviewers. I've seen this happen at my school.
For more info, see this:
Goro's Guide to Interviews: The View from Behind the Curtain

Didn't see waitlists mentioned, since I thought Goro was talking about post-interview rejections. Waitlists would make sense but rejecting applicants post-interview because of red flags despite good interview performance just seems like wasting interview resources.

Didn't see waitlists mentioned, since I thought Goro was talking about post-interview rejections. Waitlists would make sense but rejecting applicants post-interview because of red flags despite good interview performance just seems like wasting interview rs a fatresources.
My apologies...wait listing is what I was thinking of as a fate.

Last edited:
Nothings a guarantee In this life. That being said being able to communicate well is very important and will get you far.

Reactions: 1 users
At most schools, isn't the decision to interview made by a couple of reviewers while the decision to admit is a full group vote? Someone could get lucky and have an app narrative that resonated with their initial application reviewers but that didn't impress the group enough.

Reactions: 3 users
No, it absolutely does NOT mean your are in.
3) all aspects of your application: academic metrics, W&A, PS, Secondary, and interview are looked at for admissions. There is no way to say were you the top choice for an II or the lucky last one to make it.

So does the timing of II say anything about whether you're a "top choice" or "lucky last one" for a school on paper? In terms of getting invited immediately vs. toward the end of the cycle despite being complete on the same date?

So even after the interview, a gpa can be a reason for not getting in? For context I have a LM of 73-74, so my gpa isn’t great but my MCAT is on the higher end. It doesn’t make total sense to me why they would take the time and effort to interview me if something as simple/straightforward as my gpa would be the thing that kept me back

Thanks for the response! I recently interviewed at a great school and both interviews I felt went really well. They were the most relaxed and conversational interviews I’ve ever had and both lasted well over the scheduled time. I know nothing is guaranteed, but that makes me feel better for now!

Nope, if your stats are borderline, or something in your app is questionable (like a bad LOR or some other red flag),...

Bad LOR? Oxymoron? lol, Do people get these?

No such thing as a perfect interview, no such thing as a guarantee.

do perfect interviews garuntee acceptances?
The title of this thread reminds me of the thread that said "if lifestyle is my #1 priority, should I go to medical school?"

Answer to both: NO

Reactions: 1 users