DO/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gibna

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think that it is worth it to get a DO/PHD degree, if your ultimate goal is surgery

Members don't see this ad.

I think a few more details about your personal situation would be helpful. . .

I know DOs can successfully pursue surgery residencies, and I think that having a PhD will be helpful in landing a competitive residency. My question for you is are you interested in making research a career goal? To do a combined program without any interest in reserach does not seem rational to me (but who am I?)

As for DO/PhD in general, I will be starting a MD/PhD program next year (haven't decided which one yet) but the more I discover about the DO route, the more it appeals to me-I like the philosophy and the down-to-earth attitude I have encountered from those in the profession. I know osteopathic medicine needs more researchers so I think you would be in a unique position if you choose this path.

Good Luck!

If you want to do research, the DO/PhD route may be for you. Don't do it if you aren't interested in the research, though, because you give up quite a few years in the process.

Many combined programs do give you a stipend and scholarship, but in the long run you may be financially better off getting done years earlier and having a surgeon's income.

Its all in what you prefer, though. Where are you looking at? I don't know of many schools with DO/PhD programs...although I'm at one that has one.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be honest, the school I am going to get my PhD is different from the one that I am going to do my DO. I am going to get my Masters in Neurobiology by the end of this semester, and my Advisor told me that I can come back in two years if I want to so that I can get my PhD. And I realy do enjoy it, but research is not my ultimate goal, and I realy like surgery so I know that it's what I want to get into in the future.

I'm assuming that the med school doesn't mind the 2 year hiatus.

You will just have to decide if you want to spend a few years on the PhD or not. Its a hard call to make since research is not your end goal. On the other hand, it could just be personally enriching enough for you to justify it.

I considered the dual program at my school, but ended up not doing it. For me the time commitment vs. benefit did not work out. That certainly doesn't mean that its not worth while for anyone else, though.