Do PIs get annoyed by requests for LoRs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

didyouknow96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a senior in undergrad and have been applying to lots of things. Conferences, research jobs, etc. I just met with my PI last week to ask if I could submit to a conference, and I asked her if I could put her down as a reference for a research job. My professor just yesterday told me about another research position at the University of Michigan, and I really want to apply, but they want to two letters of recommendation. My professor is happy to write me one, but I really don't want to bother my PI again who is traveling for conferences. Should I jut ask a professor whose class I've done well in?

Members don't see this ad.

I would probably recommend asking the letter writers who know you best and who you believe could write the strongest letters of recommendation for these positions. When making the request, you can ask them directly if they'd be able to write you a strong letter and you certainly can give them an out if they don't feel they'd be able to do so.

Writing letters can make things busy, sure, but it's also part of the job :). So, I wouldn't worry too much about "bothering" someone if you believe that person would be your best letter writer.

I would probably recommend asking the letter writers who know you best and who you believe could write the strongest letters of recommendation for these positions. When making the request, you can ask them directly if they'd be able to write you a strong letter and you certainly can give them an out if they don't feel they'd be able to do so.

Writing letters can make things busy, sure, but it's also part of the job :). So, I wouldn't worry too much about "bothering" someone if you believe that person would be your best letter writer.

But it’s like, she’s already so busy. I feel like I’m constantly asking her for things

Members don't see this ad :)
If she really feels like she doesn't have the time, she'll tell you so. Also, if she's already written you a LOR, that means it will most likely take her all of a few minutes to just change a few things and adapt it to the current circumstances.

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed with above. We expect it. It's one of the things we expect when we take on RAs and we understand that. I encourage that conversation early in the case that it is something they want.

They take time but not an insane amount and if they have done previous ones it's not too much work

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed with the above. The only time requests for letters annoy me is when I've not ever written one for a given person and they tell me it's due in a week. Then I'm irritated. But if I already have one and I just need to amend it? Not a huge problem. I'd still prefer more than a week's notice, because sometimes a week is a VERY short amount of academic time where every second feels like it's scheduled.