Do PI's respect med students more than undergrads?

• Thread starter LoveBeingHuman:)
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

LoveBeingHuman:)

I've seen PI's, in general, have a lack of respect for their undergraduate lab students. So I was just wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a case by case situation

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't know if "respect" is the right word, but trust definitely is. Generally med students have significantly more autonomy to do their work from what I've observed (and rightly so since most have a clear focus/topic they're pursuing).

Reactions: 1 user
I think it really depends. There’s a med stduent in my lab who has taken 2yrs off to do research and had research experiences in undergrad which would make him a more valuable asset. There are also med students who spend 3 hours in lab, couple times a week. There are undergrads who joined as freshmen and are really driven (and can stay until graduating) and IMO, is more valuable than the med stduent who comes in 10 hours a week to check off the research box for residency. I think any reasonable PI would know it’s a case by case basis and not categorize all med students or all undergrads together.

In general if you can get into medical school you already pass the "competent" criteria.

PIs respect people who are more competent and who can be most productive. Usually, this is post-docs, graduate students, and medical students in roughly that order. PIs really care about lab productivity and getting those grants so they want as little dead weight around their lab as possible. But if you're a super competent and productive undergrad, then I see no reason why a PI should have less respect for you. It's a meritocracy.