DO Plastic Surgeon in Beverly Hills

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILikeFood

NSU Class of 2013
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.beverlyhillsplasticsurgeryinc.com/surgeon.html
608-174-resized.jpg

The Surgeon

Dr. Gabriel Chiu is a plastic and reconstructive surgeon who specializes in the art of aesthetic cosmetic surgery. He received his degree in Microbiology and Immunology at the University of California, Berkeley and went on to complete medical school at the Western University of Health Sciences in Southern California. After an internship in the Henry Ford Health System at Bi-County Community Hospital, Dr. Chiu continued his general surgery residency in the St. John's Health System in Detroit, Michigan. During training, he transferred to Cuyahoga Falls General Hospital in the Cleveland area of Ohio, where he was chosen as Chief Resident in General Surgery.

After completing his residency, Dr. Chiu began a challenging fellowship in plastic and reconstructive surgery at Hahnemann University Hospital of the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine. His training encompassed all aspects of plastic surgery, including hand, burn, craniofacial, wound care, microvascular, pediatric, reconstructive, trauma, and cosmetic surgeries. Dr. Chiu was selected as Chief Fellow of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and oversaw the training of plastic surgery fellows, general surgery residents, oromaxillary-facial residents, and medical students at Hahnemann University Hospital (Philadelphia, PA), Medical College of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA), Westchester Medical Center (Valhalla, NY), St. Christopher's Hospital for Children (Philadelphia, PA), and St. Mary's Medical Center (Langhorn, PA).

His aesthetician

holly.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Lets not also forget Dr. Will Kirby, D.O., AKA Dr. 90210!

wk-at-office-2007.jpg

http://www.kirbydermatology.com

"Born in Florence, Italy, and raised in Tallahassee, Florida where he graduated from Florida State University High School, Dr. Will Kirby has a degree in Biology from Emory University College of Arts & Sciences, which he received in 1995. He graduated with a medical degree from Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2000 and did his first year of postgraduate medical training in internal medicine at Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami Beach, Florida in 2001. His dermatology residency training took place in association with Western University/Pacific Hospital of Long Beach where he served as chief resident in the Department of Dermatology. A licensed physician in California since 2002 and board certified in Dermatology, Dr. Kirby's medical practice is limited to clinical and cosmetic dermatology with an emphasis on facial aesthetic enhancement and complexion enrichment

After winning the popular CBS reality show Big Brother in 2001, Dr. Kirby went on to host NBC's Love Shack, serve as a medical correspondent for Extra, and even guest star on daytime's most popular soap opera, The Young and The Restless. Dr. Kirby currently appears as a featured physician on the highest rated show on E! Entertainment Television, Dr. 90210. Dr. Kirby's confident on-screen persona and vast dermatological knowledge have quickly made him a much sought-after physician in the world of celebrity skin care. The Kirby Dermaceuticals product line is a result of his passion to make an important part of his world-class skill and personal skin care regime available to everyone.

Dr. Will Kirby's official fan site, www.DrWillKirby.com, is frequently updated with live chats and blogs about his television appearances and speaking engagements. Learn more about Dr. Will's laser tattoo removal clinics at www.DrTATTOFF.com. "

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If I become a Plastic surgeon can I have an aesthetician like her?? :D

608-174-resized.jpg

The Surgeon

Dr. Gabriel Chiu is a plastic and reconstructive surgeon who specializes in the art of aesthetic cosmetic surgery. He received his degree in Microbiology and Immunology at the University of California, Berkeley and went on to complete medical school at the Western University of Health Sciences in Southern California. After an internship in the Henry Ford Health System at Bi-County Community Hospital, Dr. Chiu continued his general surgery residency in the St. John's Health System in Detroit, Michigan. During training, he transferred to Cuyahoga Falls General Hospital in the Cleveland area of Ohio, where he was chosen as Chief Resident in General Surgery.

After completing his residency, Dr. Chiu began a challenging fellowship in plastic and reconstructive surgery at Hahnemann University Hospital of the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine. His training encompassed all aspects of plastic surgery, including hand, burn, craniofacial, wound care, microvascular, pediatric, reconstructive, trauma, and cosmetic surgeries. Dr. Chiu was selected as Chief Fellow of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and oversaw the training of plastic surgery fellows, general surgery residents, oromaxillary-facial residents, and medical students at Hahnemann University Hospital (Philadelphia, PA), Medical College of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA), Westchester Medical Center (Valhalla, NY), St. Christopher's Hospital for Children (Philadelphia, PA), and St. Mary's Medical Center (Langhorn, PA).

His aesthetician

holly.jpg

Saw this doc on the web a long time ago when he was working for some dumpy practice with a bunch of other docs. His new place looks amazing.

Ha, pretty cool.

www.aventuracosmeticsurgery.com

My personal favorite DO board certified PRS. He's been on MTV, VH-1 etc, etc, and was also the subject of a pilot called 'Dr Miami' for E!, which was Dr 90210 in Miami ... but they didn't run with it.

608-174-resized.jpg

The Surgeon

His aesthetician

holly.jpg

yay another Berkeley grad turned DO :)

www.aventuracosmeticsurgery.com

My personal favorite DO board certified PRS. He's been on MTV, VH-1 etc, etc, and was also the subject of a pilot called 'Dr Miami' for E!, which was Dr 90210 in Miami ... but they didn't run with it.

What board is this guy certified with?

It doesn't seem to be with the American Board of Plastic Surgery or any other American Board of Medical Specialties: https://www.abms.org/

Maybe I'm missing it.

"Board Certified in Plastic Surgery" means he's been awarded board certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. But "Board Certified" could be very misleading.

If you find it, I'd love to know. It'd be cool if it really was the ABPS.

It doesn't seem to be with the American Board of Plastic Surgery or any other American Board of Medical Specialties: https://www.abms.org/

Maybe I'm missing it.

"Board Certified in Plastic Surgery" means he's been awarded board certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. But "Board Certified" could be very misleading.

"He is a Diplomate of the National Osteopathic Board of Medical Examiners, a Diplomate of the American Osteopathic Board of Surgery, and a Diplomate of the America Board of Hair Restoration Surgery. He is a member of the American Osteopathic Association, and the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgeons. Additionaly, he is certified in Advanced and Basic Cardiac Life Support."

That's all I could find on the site...

Maybe I'm missing it.

Hmmm ... to be honest, I haven't been to his site in a few years, linked it without looking ... and it has changed a lot. However, a few things ... a. Trust me, I know all about how misleading saying BC can be. However, I'm 99.9% sure he did a fellowship in PRS, which is what makes a Plastic Surgeon legit. The fake ones do 'cosmetic fellowships,' and are boarded by things like 'the american academy of cosmetic surgery' ONLY. A lot of PRS guys do go through these too ... but they did PRS fellowship. He talks about PRS training on his site. Also, does the American Board of PRS recognize AOA PRS training or only ACGME??? Because that could be a big part of why he's not on there?? I'm sure there are DOs listed on the plastic surgery site ... but they probably did ACGME GS -> ACGME PRS. There is separate AOA PRS board, I'll find it in a bit.

And no ... technically Board Certified doesn't mean ABPS, because I'm 99% sure there is an AOA board, and certified by that = BC as well. I'm gonna go find it right now ... I'm sure there will be an edit to this post in like ten minutes.

edit: here's the osteopathic surgery board: http://www.aobs.org/ .... however, it looks like PRS is just a subdivision of the board, not a board itself. I'll do some more research bc I've had PRS people on this site tell me before there is a DO PRS board.

edit 2: here's more ... https://www.facos.org/scriptcontent/aboutacosbylawsplastic.cfm

So it looks like if you're certified by the college of osteopathic surgeons --> PRS division, you are board certified in PRS:

SECTION 1 - ELIGIBILITY:

Active Membership shall be limited to those who have completed formal training in plastic and reconstructive surgery in a program approved by the American Osteopathic Board of Surgery and American Osteopathic Association and whose practice encompasses solely the discipline of plastic and reconstructive surgery.

Seems kind of ass backwards to me ... but it would be 100% accurate to call yourself board certified in PRS if you fell under that category.

Last edited:
Hmmm ... to be honest, I haven't been to his site in a few years, linked it without looking ... and it has changed a lot. However, a few things ... a. Trust me, I know all about how misleading saying BC can be. However, I'm 99.9% sure he did a fellowship in PRS, which is what makes a Plastic Surgeon legit. The fake ones do 'cosmetic fellowships,' and are boarded by things like 'the american academy of cosmetic surgery' ONLY. A lot of PRS guys do go through these too ... but they did PRS fellowship. He talks about PRS training on his site. Also, does the American Board of PRS recognize AOA PRS training or only ACGME??? Because that could be a big part of why he's not on there?? I'm sure there are DOs listed on the plastic surgery site ... but they probably did ACGME GS -> ACGME PRS. There is separate AOA PRS board, I'll find it in a bit.

And no ... technically Board Certified doesn't mean ABPS, because I'm 99% sure there is an AOA board, and certified by that = BC as well. I'm gonna go find it right now ... I'm sure there will be an edit to this post in like ten minutes.

edit: here's the osteopathic surgery board: http://www.aobs.org/ .... however, it looks like PRS is just a subdivision of the board, not a board itself. I'll do some more research bc I've had PRS people on this site tell me before there is a DO PRS board.

edit 2: here's more ... https://www.facos.org/scriptcontent/aboutacosbylawsplastic.cfm

So it looks like if you're certified by the college of osteopathic surgeons --> PRS division, you are board certified in PRS:

SECTION 1 - ELIGIBILITY:

Active Membership shall be limited to those who have completed formal training in plastic and reconstructive surgery in a program approved by the American Osteopathic Board of Surgery and American Osteopathic Association and whose practice encompasses solely the discipline of plastic and reconstructive surgery.

Seems kind of ass backwards to me ... but it would be 100% accurate to call yourself board certified in PRS if you fell under that category.

Well, technically you're 100% right that you can be "Board Certified" and not be certified by the ABPS. There are lots of "boards" you can be certified in. However, when you claim to "Board Certified in Plastic Surgery" it has come to mean you're with the ABPS. There's a lot of evidence of this. In fact, I just typed it into google and came across loads of articles that all evidence this. A couple of examples: http://www.plasticsurgery.com/breas...ertification-making-sense-of-it-all-a432.aspx
http://www.lookingyourbest.com/articles/newsandarticles/boardcertified

However, I agree that albeit ass backwards, the ACOS solution looks like it fulfills the definition.

I'm interested because I shadowed many hours with a DO PRS and we talked more than once about board certification. He went through an AOA general surgery residency and then an AOA PRS fellowship but felt somewhat hindered by not being able to say he was "Board Certified in Plastic Surgery". I do know he's with the ACOS so I'm going to bring this up with him.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sweet. Now I know where I should go for a tummy-tuck.

If I become a Plastic surgeon can I have an aesthetician like her?? :D

Well, if you're good enough at your job, you can get your aesthetician to look any way you want :p lol

1. Chugay is the biggest shady crook on the planet. If you look up his license, it's SHOCKING he can still practice. He's also facial plastic + cosmetic fellowship ... not PRS

2. The guy at perfect self did GS --> Cosmetic surgery. Not PRS, the guy got sued for false advertising with the PRS tag. He also pumps a tooth whitening system that seems odd.

The 3rd doc is legit ... however, you can't get away with only doing 3 years of GS nowadays, and the ACGME fellowships are 3 years, not 2.

Well, technically you're 100% right that you can be "Board Certified" and not be certified by the ABPS. There are lots of "boards" you can be certified in. However, when you claim to "Board Certified in Plastic Surgery" it has come to mean you're with the ABPS. There's a lot of evidence of this. In fact, I just typed it into google and came across loads of articles that all evidence this. A couple of examples: http://www.plasticsurgery.com/breas...ertification-making-sense-of-it-all-a432.aspx
http://www.lookingyourbest.com/articles/newsandarticles/boardcertified

However, I agree that albeit ass backwards, the ACOS solution looks like it fulfills the definition.

I'm interested because I shadowed many hours with a DO PRS and we talked more than once about board certification. He went through an AOA general surgery residency and then an AOA PRS fellowship but felt somewhat hindered by not being able to say he was "Board Certified in Plastic Surgery". I do know he's with the ACOS so I'm going to bring this up with him.

Both those articles seem to be written by non-medical professionals, simply spout off the ABPS name, and don't mention DOs. I'm 99% sure that the scope of those articles is to avoid people who are 'board certified in cosmetic surgery,' which does NOT require a PRS fellowship. I'd ask the PRS guy you worked with ... he may not be able to say he's BC from ABPS, but I don't see how being certified in PRS by ACOS means non BC. Completely a PRS fellowship/integrated residency is the important thing. I'll do some research on the PRS boards later tonight ... I've seen this topic there before.

Both those articles seem to be written by non-medical professionals, simply spout off the ABPS name, and don't mention DOs. I'm 99% sure that the scope of those articles is to avoid people who are 'board certified in cosmetic surgery,' which does NOT require a PRS fellowship. I'd ask the PRS guy you worked with ... he may not be able to say he's BC from ABPS, but I don't see how being certified in PRS by ACOS means non BC. Completely a PRS fellowship/integrated residency is the important thing. I'll do some research on the PRS boards later tonight ... I've seen this topic there before.

Not that this makes him an expert, but the second article is written by Joachim Granzow, MD. ABMS certified in both Otolaryngology and PRS.

I won't keep on beating this horse after this post but here's a google search if you're interested:

http://www.google.com/search?client...tified+plastic+surgery+mean&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Also, I agree with you. I do think that being certified in PRS by the ACOS does mean BC but I also think that the term "Board Certified in Plastic Surgery" is generally understood to mean it's by the ABPS.

Last edited:
Not that this makes him an expert, but the second article is written by Joachim Granzow, MD. ABMS certified in both Otolaryngology and PRS.

I won't keep on beating this horse after this post but here's a google search if you're interested:

http://www.google.com/search?client...tified+plastic+surgery+mean&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Also, I agree with you. I do think that being certified in PRS by the ACOS does mean BC but I also think that the term "Board Certified in Plastic Surgery" is generally understood to mean it's by the ABPS.

Yeah, I don't know ... I'm pretty stumped to be honest. I still think a DO could put board certified in PRS through the ACOS, but I don't know if they don't use this bc it's not ABPS. You should really talk to the DO PRS you are shadowing. BTW does he/she have a website you can link??

Yeah, I don't know ... I'm pretty stumped to be honest. I still think a DO could put board certified in PRS through the ACOS, but I don't know if they don't use this bc it's not ABPS. You should really talk to the DO PRS you are shadowing. BTW does he/she have a website you can link??

sent you a PM but here's the link:

http://www.drgorodisky.com/