Do private practice psychiatrist hire PAs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carlosc1dbz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering this while reading the threads. Can you work in private practice, and have PAs that maybe work an urgent care clinic or something? Can PAs go into psych?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about PA's, but NP's can specialize in psych. If a psychiatrist hires a PA/NP, it will be to do psych.
Sometimes psych hospitals will contract with NP's to do h+p's and take care of medical problems, but in these case the NP's are always supervised by FP's or internists.

I'm not sure about PA's, but NP's can specialize in psych. If a psychiatrist hires a PA/NP, it will be to do psych.
Sometimes psych hospitals will contract with NP's to do h+p's and take care of medical problems, but in these case the NP's are always supervised by FP's or internists.

So they can hire NPs huh? That is very cool. I wonder if many private practice psychiatrist do that. Does it make a difference in their income? I wonder how much a NP can bill, and if it makes it worth it for the psychiatrist.

Members don't see this ad :)