Do private schools care where you want to establish a practice?

May 26, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Do the private dental schools like to see their students establish practices in the same state or is that not something they take into consideration during interviews? I know the state schools have certain obligations to accept students that will establish practices within the state and will serve underserved dental areas. Are the private schools concerned with this at all?

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
They are probably more concerned that you make some serious donations and less with where the green is generated.

Jun 16, 2012
Status
Dental Student
I have never been asked a question about this in any interview, and I'm pretty sure that the school doesn't care about that. I go to a private dental school, and my school definitely doesn't care.

Reactions: Surf Prescription
Nov 22, 2014
Status
Non-Student
I don't know that private schools care at all, I don't think that most state schools care that much either. The in-state acceptances are mainly because you pay taxes in that state so you get preference (or your parents pay taxes). There are a few private schools that have a preference toward those that are interested in practicing in underserved areas, MOSDOH, etc., but I am sure they have plenty of students that will not practice in those areas as well.