Do Private Schools Really Provide Better Chance for Acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EEtoPre-Med

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I understand that everyone always tries to belabor the point that it is much more likely to get into a private school who takes many more OOS applicants. However, if you crunch the numbers on OOS applicants vs acceptances. They are nearly all 1 %. The public schools are usually 20 OOS matriculants for 2000 applicants whereas private takes 100 matriculants from 10000 applicants. Whats the difference? 1% is 1 %

Members don't see this ad.

do you have any examples? Just eye balling my own state school of UNC vs duke, its way better to apply OOS to Duke

Examples are U of Kentucky, U of Illinois, U of North Dakota.... But for all you know those 20 people have close ties to the state.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First I'd point out that you're looking at matriculant numbers which are different than acceptances! Schools will vary individually, but must usually accept two or three people to matriculate one.

Second, look at the differences in interview % to see the bias! Central Michigan and Boston Uni both have an out of state matriculant/applicant ratio of about 1%, but for CMU the OOS interview rate is 5% while BU is 9%!

Third, the OOS interviews may be to people with strong ties but not residency status.

Reactions: 2 users
State schools favor their own.

But simply look at the IS/OOS %'s for schools on MSAR. This isn't rocket science

So I understand that everyone always tries to belabor the point that it is much more likely to get inn.to a private school who takes many more OOS applicants. However, if you crunch the numbers on OOS applicants vs acceptances. They are nearly all 1 %. The public schools are usually 20 OOS matriculants for 2000 applicants whereas private takes 100 matriculants from 10000 applicants. Whats the difference? 1% is 1 %

Reactions: 1 user
In some states, budget crunches are making OOS applicants very desirable because they translate in to more revenue. The times they are a changin'.

Reactions: 5 users
It's not generically true that private schools offer a better chance for OOS. If you have a 3.6/31, you have a better chance at many state public schools than you do at Northwestern. If we are comparing between schools with similar stats, most of the time public schools tend to have a bias for residents of their home state (whether mandated by law or not), so it's probably more true in that arena.

It's not generically true that private schools offer a better chance for OOS. If you have a 3.6/31, you have a better chance at many state public schools than you do at Northwestern. If we are comparing between schools with similar stats, most of the time public schools tend to have a bias for residents of their home state (whether mandated by law or not), so it's probably more true in that arena.

The top 20 privates are one thing but NYMC, Albany, and some other privates may be easier for an OOS applicant than OOS publics.

State schools favor their own.

But simply look at the IS/OOS %'s for schools on MSAR. This isn't rocket science

Actually, looking at the MSAR and calculating it by matriculants from applicants is what made me ask the question. That's what created the confusion in the first place. Those above who told me that interview percentages are different provided a satisfying reason to see a difference. Thanks

Actually, looking at the MSAR and calculating it by matriculants from applicants is what made me ask the question. That's what created the confusion in the first place. Those above who told me that interview percentages are different provided a satisfying reason to see a difference. Thanks
How did you miss the difference in interview % during your "analysis?"

A 1% chance of getting in is better than the 0% chance you have of getting into University of Kansas having never actually set foot in Kansas.

Reactions: 1 users
Your oversimplifying the whole thing. The process is state-dependent.

A 1% chance of getting in is better than the 0% chance you have of getting into University of Kansas having never actually set foot in Kansas.

I don't understand if this is just an example or if you are questioning my residence?

I apologize for bringing it up. I thought that it would promote conversation a bit, especially because I would have guessed that with all the discussion on here the matriculants to acceptance ratios for private schools would be higher. Of course it doesn't tell the whole story but I was hoping for a bit more discussion as to why that happened. I appreciated your opinions and thoughts but I guess I am being regarded as "just another crazy pre-med bringing up simple topics". I didn't intend to bother anyone.

Examples are U of Kentucky, U of Illinois, U of North Dakota.... But for all you know those 20 people have close ties to the state.
Student at U of North Dakota, per the terms of state funding we have to give at least 80% of our seats to ND residents.

I don't understand if this is just an example or if you are questioning my residence?

I apologize for bringing it up. I thought that it would promote conversation a bit, especially because I would have guessed that with all the discussion on here the matriculants to acceptance ratios for private schools would be higher. Of course it doesn't tell the whole story but I was hoping for a bit more discussion as to why that happened. I appreciated your opinions and thoughts but I guess I am being regarded as "just another crazy pre-med bringing up simple topics". I didn't intend to bother anyone.
He's just pointing out that it is really state and school dependent. Some states you have an almost ZERO chance of getting in OOS. So in comparison to those states, yes private school is much better chance for acceptance. Some state's public schools are fairly open to OOS applicants and would provide a much better chance of acceptance than a top 20 private if you have average stats.

He's just pointing out that it is really state and school dependent. Some states you have an almost ZERO chance of getting in OOS. So in comparison to those states, yes private school is much better chance for acceptance. Some state's public schools are fairly open to OOS applicants and would provide a much better chance of acceptance than a top 20 private if you have average stats.

Ahh, I see. That makes sense, so the public private difference is a generalization that maybe I took as much more of a "hard and fast rule" then I should have. It is more of a guideline. However, the points made above about # of OOS matriculants and % of interview invites as opposed to simply a matriculants to applicants ratio does provide some clarity.

Last edited: