Do programs see or care about aways I do after interview season?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on doing an away rotation early on in the year at an institution where I'd absolutely love to train.

Thing is, I have a big open block in January and I was planning on just filling it with some course at my home school. Now, though, I'm wondering if it would be ok to do another away rotation at that time? Just for the fun of living somewhere else? Namely, would it be ok to do it at that same institution I did an away at over the summer? Would programs see this?

The rotation would probably be in something "easy" and unrelated to my field of interest...

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't do aways in 2 different fields at the same place. Go to another school in that area if you really want to live there that badly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools don't generate their rank lists until January, so yes. I'd also suggest against doing an away in January since you'll likely have a bunch of interviews that month. You don't want to be missing a good chunk of an away rotation, whether you plan to go there/do that specialty or not.