(DO) Provided Lots of Info! WCUCOM, PNWU-COM, VCOM-Auburn, NYIT-Arkansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Malenkaya

MS2
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I am thrilled to have been blessed with four DO acceptances and with deposits due next week I would really like advice on which would be best. I am from TX and hope to return here to practice and am currently interested in primary care but I know I could change my mind for something more competitive. My current options are below and I tried to provide as much info as I could find.

William Carey COM
  • Pros
    • $44,000 Tuition
    • Pass/Fail
    • On campus housing, cafeteria, gym
    • Reportedly good clinical rotation sites
    • Very welcoming, family vibe from students and staff
    • Pretty good match rate and list with a mix of primary care and competitive specialties (2021 match day included dermatology, Gen Surg, Ortho)
    • Established 2010 with several graduating classes in practice already
    • Affiliated undergraduate school resources (WCU)
  • Cons
    • History of lower board score pass rates compared to other schools
    • Location isn't the best (Hattiesburg MS POP ~50,000)
    • Large class size (200)
    • Calculates a GPA to rank students
    • Mandatory attendance
    • Poor research opportunities
Pacific Northwest University COM
  • Pros
    • Beautiful outdoorsy location (Yakima, WA POP ~95,000)
    • Established in 2005 with several graduating classes in practice,
    • Smaller class size (144)
    • Pass/Fail
    • Optional Attendance
    • Housing walking distance right next to campus
    • Good match rate and list from 2020 (several Gen surg, ortho, urology)
    • Faculty and students seem very welcome and collaborative
  • Cons
    • Rotations are scattered across the Pacific Northwest and I might have to travel extensively, I heard rotation sites are weaker too but I don't know how true it is
    • Yakima, WA is far from airports and somewhat isolated
    • No affiliated university or undergrad campus
    • Board pass rate is slightly below national average
    • Pricier tuition ~$60,000
    • Poor research opportunities
Edward Via COM - Auburn
  • Pros
    • Lower tuition ~$48,000
    • Smaller class size (150)
    • Optional attendance
    • Associated with Auburn University (Lots of resources and research opportunities)
    • Global health opportunities
    • Location is good (Auburn, AL POP ~65,000)
    • Reported name recognition since VCOM has so many students & graduates
  • Cons
    • Letter grades with GPA
    • Branch campus established in 2014
    • No on-campus housing
    • Clinical rotation sites are scattered in Alabama and in states around Alabama meaning I would have to travel, and I don't know how strong rotation sites are
    • I have had somewhat unsupportive/unfriendly interactions with faculty & staff
New York Institute of Technology - Jonesboro Arkansas
  • Pros
    • On-campus housing w/cafeteria & gym
    • Associated with Arkansas State University (Lots of resources and research opportunities)
    • Small class size (115)
    • Pass/fail curriculum
    • Optional attendance
    • Dual degree and certificate options (PhD, MBA, MPH)
    • NYIT name recognition
  • Cons
    • New branch campus established in 2016
    • Can't find data on board pass rates or match for this campus, it's all lumped with the NY campus which I find sketchy
    • I heard this school has the weakest rotations and support out of the Arkansas med schools, ARCOM and UAMS have the better ones
    • The building for the medical school is kind of old and located right in the middle of ASU, I don't know how good quality the facilities are
    • Most expensive $62,000 tuition
    • Location isn't my favorite (Jonesboro AR POP ~125,000)
    • Arkansas campus faculty is limited and a lot of lectures are livestreamed from the NY campus

Please let me know what you all think! Right now I am leaning PNWU or WCU but I would love some input! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I believe William Carey had an overhaul and board scores have increased. For about 60k (plus more for interest) less over 4 years, you get more accessible rotation sites.

If PNWU doesn’t have an airport by it, going to those rotations might be a pain. The main benefits you’d get over WCU would be P/F and optional attendance. I also assume it’s easier to visit Texas too from WCU.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe William Carey had an overhaul and board scores have increased. For about 60k (plus more for interest) less over 4 years, you get more accessible rotation sites.

If PNWU doesn’t have an airport by it, going to those rotations might be a pain. The main benefits you’d get over WCU would be P/F and optional attendance. I also assume it’s easier to visit Texas too from WCU.
Thank you! Yes that's why I'm divided, they're both equally good but in different things imo

I’d lean towards WCU, but try to talk with students on the school specific page to make sure it’s a comfortable environment. One user had a detailed comment about what they’ve encountered so far:

And more recently, I think some older students shared some stuff as well.

They keep some sort of internal ranking thing. I don’t think that will matter much, and someone in that thread said residencies look at clinical performance and LORs much more.

I’d personally go WCU as long as you don’t hear people share negative experiences about the faculty and admin.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
correction, WCU is also def Pass fail and attendance hasn't been mandatory since COVID. And I suspect it never will be.