1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Do Psychology classes count toward sGPA now?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by kovalchuk71, Sep 4, 2014.

1. kovalchuk71

Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

It looks like they are now under "behavioral sciences" now. So is that a yes? I was a psychology major, so I'm curious.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SynapticDoctah

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am pretty sure they do not count. "Behavior sciences" didn't count toward my sGPA. However, if your "psych" class had bio incorporated into it, you can try and pass it as a bio class if you did well. I had a class labeled as psych, but it was mostly neuroscience and I was able to pass it as biology.

4. WalSlave

7+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    No.

kovalchuk71 likes this.
  5. kovalchuk71

Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

6. WastedTime

5+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    how did u go about doing that?

7. IslandStyle808

IslandStyle808 Akuma residency or bust!
    5+ Year Member

You have the option of what to classify the class as. So if you have a psychobiology class, you can classify it as biology and hope the people checking your transcript see it as a science class.

TheDarkNeuron likes this.
  8. TheDarkNeuron

Did you do this by just marking it as Biology under the pulldown tab? I have physio psychology and cognitive neuroscience I would love to put as a science class (

9. IslandStyle808

5+ Year Member

That is all there is to it really. I have seen threads like this in the past. You would be surprised at what courses counted toward the science GPA. Some posters had engineering classes that had no indication of science what so ever in the title or department count as science (but give of the impression of science-y).

EDIT: I'll put an edit. All engineering classes for the AACOMAS actually counts as "other science" and thus are under the science GPA umbrella. My post actually refers to those engineering classes that counted towards the science GPA under the AMCAS. The main thing is to try your luck and hope they count it.

#8 IslandStyle808, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  10. SynapticDoctah

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah, they can look into the course if they want and see if it was actually biology or not.

11. TheDarkNeuron

ok cool I just put them as that

IslandStyle808 likes this.
  12. WastedTime

5+ Year Member

Anyways I can change it after submission but before verification?

13. IslandStyle808

5+ Year Member

I think it is under their discretion actually. So whatever they think it is, will show up that way.

On my AMCAS, a while back, I had an animal physiology course. I put it as animal science since it was under the same department as the course classification. After I submitted it, the person looking over it changed the classification to biology. So I think it will be the same in this situation with the AACOMAS. I would just put the subject you want it to count for anyway and see what they think.

14. Soviet Poland

5+ Year Member

Depends on the Psych class

Courses that AACOMAS and AMCAS counted as BCPM for me:
    Cognitive Psychology, Research Methods, Abnormal Psychology, Psychopathology, Clinical Psychology, Psychoneuroimmunology, Sensation and Perception, Psychological Statistics

Courses they didn't count as BCMP (rather I did not list as BCPM):
    Personality, Social Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Psychology 101

So most of my major was counted as a science course. Use your best judgment when selecting either behavioral science or biology as a designation. Most of these were listed under the PSY department, not BIO, either. It's just that they had a heavy bio component to the classes. My university had the Bachelor of Science in Psych under the College of Science (not their Behavioral Science college, which is where sociology, political science, and the likes were) and most classes had some sort of biological component to them.

Edible_Frisbee and drkobebryant like this.
  15. WastedTime

5+ Year Member

Dammit! I took a few classes that counted toward your science gpa and listed them all as behavioral sciences. I got As in all of them so it would really help my science GPA. I already submitted my app but it has not been verified. I am looking for a way to change my subject for those classes before verification. Any tips?

16. pollos

If your app hasn't been verified yet call AACOMAS and have them undeliver it so you can change it. When I had them undelive they said it doesn't effect verification time so you should be good although I'd double check.

17. Foreveryours91

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is rather interesting. I thought ALL psychology classes regardless of having a heavy Biology component in it will be regarded as "non" science courses and do not count towards one's science gpa? Because if some of my psychology classes can be considered Biology courses, this would make my life alot easier.

18. WastedTime

5+ Year Member

I emailed aacomas and sent them the course description for a psych class and they deemed it was enough to change it from behavioral science to biology/zoology ... Just email them the course description for any class u think is bio related and see what they say

19. UCNeuro

UCNeuro Scrubs=life

Medical Student
    As someone who is a psych major who applied it depends on the psych class. For instance I took biological psych and that counted as science. In fact one of my letter writers was a biological psych professor and more than 80% of schools accepted him as a science prof. If there was more biology in the class than pure psych then put it as a science.

20. Foreveryours91

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So essentially classes such as Physiological Psychology, Neuropsychology, Cognition etc. which were heavily BIO based... Regardless of it being in the Psychology department of my school, I could list such classes as Bio/Zoology/Neuroscience? I'm just really confused because I saw other older forums and some people were saying that it doesn't matter if its Biology based if it is in the Psychology department don't put it in the Biology Category, it'll only make it a hassle to the Aacom people blah blah blah.

21. the sassinator

Pre-Medical
    I am a psych major as well and was required to take a "data analysis in psychology" course, which was basically a psychology-based statistics course. Do you think this would count towards my sGPA in the math section?

22. igor_raptor

2+ Year Member

sGPA for DO schools is BCP, not BCPM like MD schools.

23. IslandStyle808

5+ Year Member

I kind of find it strange how biostats doesn't count toward the science GPA, but epidemiology does.

Doctor_Strange and igor_raptor like this.
  24. Monkitty

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Did you list those as "Psych" originally and then AACOMAS/AMCAS changed it themselves? That would be quite the nice treat if they do that for me.

Especially for AMCAS, that D in a 5 hour calc class is weighing me down.

25. J Senpai

J Senpai Grab my arm. Other arm. MY other arm.
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Noice! It looks like I'll get a bump in my sGPA with Physiological Psych, Abnormal, Stats and Research Methods.

26. FutureDoc1992

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've been researching and hearing completely opposite sides and stories to this. I have been to 3 schools and have enough Psych classes credits for a BA and BS in psych (BS is what I'm pursuing now). I will likely place my BS psych classes as science and hope for the best. They were far more science in nature than psych. The biochemical mechanism of how an anticonvulsant blocks Ca2+ channels to reduce the amount of glutamate seems more science-based than discussing the Oedipus complex and cigars.

igor_raptor likes this.
  27. igor_raptor

2+ Year Member

The thing is it depends on the class. I listed a neuroscience course as science even though it is, by my school's definition, a psych class. AACOMAS never disputed it. However, a social psych course would likely not be a science course. Lines are blurred here, no doubt, but if you can provide the syllabus stating that it is physiological and not psychological then that is fine.

28. FutureDoc1992

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So even the AACOMAS took it as part of sGPA? "One" of the theories I've head is only AMCAS "might" do this.

29. igor_raptor

2+ Year Member

Yes, it was definitely part of my sGPA. As were my neuroscience research credits, which are also listed as "psychology" by my institution. I don't know about AMCAS, I only applied DO.

30. FutureDoc1992

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Well I'm probably going DO, but thank you either way!

31. bigoliver101

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    http://help.unicas.com:8888/aacomasHelpPages/instructions/academic-history-2/aacomas-course-subjects/index.html

http://help.unicas.com:8888/aacomasHelpPages/instructions/academic-history-2/aacomas-course-subjects/index.html

It clearly states those classes as behavioral sciences.

cjfarrell21 likes this.
  32. FutureDoc1992

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Exactly why I have no idea how some are able to have them count as sGPA and others cannot :bang:

33. igor_raptor

2+ Year Member

I know right? This is pretty ridiculous, and I think it is time that psych classes just get reclassified as science courses.

34. FutureDoc1992

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yes, especially since it is now on the MCAT

35. darkeon

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    By that logic, sociology would be a science.

Thing is, psych varies from field to field. Industrial psych, social psych, and more have no direct ties to science. The bio-ish courses can be up for dispute hence why at least with AMCAS, you'll see some pass it off as psych and others fail to do so. While AACOMAS now says those bio-ish psych courses aren't science classes, you can still classify it as a sci if you want. You just have to hope one of the men behind the computer screens just speeds by and doesn't notice or perhaps isn't aware of his company's own rulings. Again, this is why you got some folks being successful with their psych courses and others not so. there's a luck factor to it and while it may not be fair, it's the state of things when you got limited manpower for heavy numbers demand Do keep in mind, that neuroscience falls under AACOMAS biology hat so if you got any psych course that has neuroscience in the title, it's a pretty safe bet that you can classify that as a science class.

at the end of the day, you won't be penalized so just count whatever psych course you think may reasonably be considered science and hope for the best.

36. dapdrow

5+ Year Member

I've taken a lot of psychology courses and adding them to my sGPA would do nothing but improve it---but even I don't think most psychology classes should be classified as a science. The only classes that I think should be considered are neuro/bio-based psych courses. Most of my psychology courses had no science component whatsoever.

37. FutureDoc1992

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I agree with you actually, Sociology should definitely not be part of sGPA and plenty of psych should not. I will probably do exactly what you said, place the classes I feel were more science based under sGPA. I mean in exams in Neuropsychology we looked at MRI and CT scans of brain injuries and pathology and would have to write our "diagnosis" such as ischemic stroke or what region the injury is in and the symptoms that would be presented. That sounds more like science and applicable to medicine then just Psych to me...

38. darkeon

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Great! Do so. You never know. You might find yourself surprisingly happy.

39. georgia_boy1

2+ Year Member

Would Developmental Psychology count under Cognitive Psychology?

40. Ragtime

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I know this is an old thread, but did ALL these classes count for AACOMAS sGPA? For example, did psychological statistics count for AACOMAS even though they don't calculate math into the sGPA?

Thanks!

41. darkeon

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    All depends on who reviews it. Aacomas has a course classification list you can refer to.
    Any sort of stats will not go into your science gpa per aacomas rules

42. esob

esob Protomolecule
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So my psych classes are: General psych, Evolutionary psych, Abnormal child psych and (yes, believe it or not) paranormal Psych. Which do you think would be considered science GPA classes?

43. darkeon

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    To me: none

44. Donna Moss

Donna Moss donnatella moss

#43 Donna Moss, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  45. darkeon

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    There's really no way of knowing until you apply. The neuroscience class sounds like it would. Most folks just put in their best grades under the sgpa and lesser ones under non-sci gpa then hope for the best

46. noodles101

Pre-Medical
    So how would I go about selecting the "subject" for my psych classes that had a biological component to it, in order for it to be classified as sGPA? Any ideas??

47. zukunft195

zukunft195 Membership Revoked
    Removed Account on Hold

Pre-Medical
    noodles101 likes this.
  48. JB50

JB50 I'm really in I swear

Rehab Sci Student