Do purely outpatient neurologist have to do general neurology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Basketball

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current 4th year applying to neurology this cycle. If I decide to fellowship in epilepsy for example but want to do outpatient only seeing epilepsy patients and reading EMGs without doing inpatient neurology, is this something that is feasible? Or is it usually a lot of epilepsy patients mixed in with general neurology?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

Current 4th year applying to neurology this cycle. If I decide to fellowship in epilepsy for example but want to do outpatient only seeing epilepsy patients and reading EMGs without doing inpatient neurology, is this something that is feasible? Or is it usually a lot of epilepsy patients mixed in with general neurology?

You can, but your salary would drop significantly. Especially in the beginning when you don't have a patient base yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Can't escape the tingles.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Yes you can definitely do outpatient only. But it would be hard to just do Epilepsy right after training, unless you are in a university setting maybe. Even then you might get 20%- 25% general in the beginning but eventually you can weed out non epilepsy. In smaller hospitals it would be very hard to do Epilepsy only.

If you want to see epilepsy patients but also read EMGs then maybe a CNP fellowship might be better. Hard to read EMGs without an additional fellowship, and the CNP would make you comfortable enough with EEGs too.

Reactions: 1 users

Assuming you mean EEGs, not EMGs? EMGs would require a neurophys fellowship to get exposure to both EEG/EMG, as opposed to an epilepsy fellowship, as the above poster said.

Most private practice groups will have you see at least half general neurology or more, a more focused practice would only come with time and building your referral base.

It's entirely possible to have a 100% subspecialty practice in an academic group if the subspecialty need is high. I see zero tingly winglies or migraines.

Reactions: 3 users
If you are in a community based practice, you will likely still have to do a good chunk of general neuro - especially during the first serveral years as you are building up your patient panel. In academics, if you are sub specialized, you will see relatively less general neuro but there will always be some non epilepsy/seizure patients that come your way. For one thing, you will get plenty of syncope and even your seizure patients will occasionally have complaints of weakness, numbness, tingles, buzzing, ringing, headaches, memory problems, dizziness, back pain, balance problems, etc.

Reactions: 3 users
Can't escape the tingles.
The amount of non neurological sensory disturbances is outrageous. What legitimately causes it. All functional? Unknown transient organic process?

Reactions: 2 users
Imbalance of humors, or too many thetans.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users