Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

DO recommendation on prof. letterhead?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Viva LV, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Viva LV

Viva LV Member
    10+ Year Member

Here's the situation. My great uncle is a DO and told me he would love to write me a letter. But he has been retired for about 15 years and doesn't have any professional letterhead--in fact he doesn't even type! My grandma (his sister) said she will type up the letter after he writes it but I've heard that some, or all, schools expect all letters to be on professional or school letterhead. Is this true?

Should I make up some professional letterhead for him? I just don't want it to look bogus, and it almost feels bogus if I do something like that.

I know, strange situation. What do you think?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Barton

Barton Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Most schools won't accept a letter from a family member.

4. Viva LV

Viva LV Member
    10+ Year Member

Wow. I guess maybe I should have known that, but it hadn't even crossed my mind! I'm in trouble. I've had many great discussions with him about osteopathic medicine and he was my inspiration to pursue it for myself. Seems unfair that I can't ask him for a letter of recommendation just because we're related. Can anyone else confirm that it is a bad idea to get a letter from him? I've been counting on that part of my application being fine for a loooong time. I am sure I could not get a good letter from another DO before the secondaries arrive. Now I'm in a panic. What should I do?

5. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...
    10+ Year Member

Have you tried to get a letter from anyone else? I know you said you couldn't get one in time. Have you shadowed anyone? I got a letter from a DO that I had only shadowed twice. What did the school say? Did they say they would not accept the letter from your family member? Lots of questions to answer before panic sets in...

Billie, MS-IV

6. Krazed_Medic

Krazed_Medic Registered Banned User
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    just a thought, but surely your uncle knows other DO's that would be more than willing to get to know you a little bit and write you a rec. Good luck, I hope it works out for ya!

7. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Krazed Medic is right.... Hopefully your uncle can hook you up with a fellow DO. Another thing, most medical schools have their own evaluation form that the letter writter can use. Good luck.

8. algae

algae Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I noticed that on KCOM's secondary, they implicitly state that the DO letter of rec cannot be from a family member. You may want to check with the schools you are applying to...