DO Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shaun

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone out there had any information on how important the DO LOR is. I am in the process of completing secondaries without a letter from a D.O. Should I try and spend some time with a D.O. and have my application complete later or should I go ahead without one? I know I can't get around it with LECOM. Any info would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

For schools that say its required, its just that. But I used an MD letter of recommendation for a DO school (TUCOM), and did just fine.

In the meantime, it may be beneficial to get some time with a DO anyway, just to see what its like. Sometimes people are suprised based on their notions of how a DO practices differently than an MD.

AD,

Thanks for the reply. Would you suggest that I contact the schools to see if a letter from an MD would be an acceptable alternative? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn't hurt. I don't think admissions committees are so analytical as to read into any questions you might have.

Originally posted by Shaun
Should I try and spend some time with a D.O. and have my application complete later or should I go ahead without one?
I would recommend doing this even if the school will let you use an M.D. letter. It always looks good if an applicant shows interest in osteopathic medicine.

It may come up in your interview as to why you don't have a letter from a D.O.

I think it is very important that you have a DO letter. I know some schools say its not required but still I think its a good idea to have one. I remember my interviewer spent whole lot of time discussing my DO letter. He was trying to make sure that I did actualy spent time with the DO and not just went to him and got a letter. So I suggest that you find a DO get a letter and spend some time with him or her. Having Do letter is always to your advantage .So try getting it.
Goodluck:)

I have to agree with the above posts. I applied to 11 DO schools and have gotten 5 interviews so far ( AZCOM-waitlisted, TUCOM 11/4, LECOM 11/11, PCOM 11/20, UHS is pending) and I did not have a DO letter of rec until now. But I finally got a hold of a DO that I met with a few times and he is sending out his letter of rec this week. I want it out before any more adcom's interview me or review my file. I think part of the reason why I got a waitlist at AZCOM was the lack of this letter. SO I HIGHLY RECCOMEND IT TO ANYONE APPLYING TO DO SCHOOLS!

I am a 4th year at NYCOM. When I applied I used a letter from a MD who I worked with for several years. I did not have a letter from a DO. The Iowa school accepted me without mention of it. At NYCOM they asked me at my interview why I did not have a letter from a DO. I told them I thought a physician who knew me for years could provide a more accurate assessment than a DO who I met with for a few hourse. The interviewer suggested that I should try to find a DO to write a letter. I did not and was still accepted.

I think the bottom line is that it can be helpfull to have a letter from a DO but if you don't it is still possible to get in.

Let me give some good advice.

Get on the aoa web page http://www.aoa-net.org/
then look for a state organization in your area. Attend one of their meetings and get a letter. It worked for me , I joined the organization, attended their yearly conferences, and have made hundreds of contacts.

Joining a state organization as a student liason looks favorable on residency applications as well as your AACOMAS application.

Good luck let me know if I can provide further assistance
Diane

Shaun-

If you get a secondary app from KCOM you may also get a list of alumni in your area... they're all willing to talk to you and some are even willing to let you shadow them. Take them up on the offer! That's how I got my DO letter of rec... prior to that I didn't know any DO's personally that I could ask.

Or if there's a school you are particuarly interested in I would ask admissions if there is an alum in your area that you could talk to

Just a thought...

Good luck!