DO recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hfav

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,
with my work schedule, I haven't had much time to shadow a DO, though i have been keeping in touch with one (unfortunatly I haven't found one in the MA area that works weekends). Does every program recquire a DO recommendation when applying? I would like to apply this coming year and have had trouble finding a DO...any suggestions??????????

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by hfav:
•hey all,
with my work schedule, I haven't had much time to shadow a DO, though i have been keeping in touch with one (unfortunatly I haven't found one in the MA area that works weekends). Does every program recquire a DO recommendation when applying? I would like to apply this coming year and have had trouble finding a DO...any suggestions??????????•

Some schools do not require a DO letter, but strongly recommend one. For example, PCOM does not require, but only after I submitted the letter did I get an interview.

Just some food for thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi HFav

You gotta get the letter. This is just one of those things you have to do. Since you are thinking about it now you are in good shape. The letter doesn't need to be about your shadowing experience. You can pick up shadowing experience somewhere else. (I did my shadowing at an ED through a volunteer program). Your letter can simply communicate that the doc has met with you a couple of times and discussed osteopathy and that he/she thinks you have a good head on your shoulders and thinks you'll make a fine DO. This is the letter I got.

Since you have all this time before the crunch...I would recommend making the time in your schedule to pursue your interest in osteopathy. After all, in the long run, if this is what you want to do, getting in is going to be more important than your current job.

I personally, had a difficult time finding osteopaths to make contact with. It drove me crazy. However, I found a friend of a friend of a friend who was a DO who would vouch for me. My strongest letter of recommendation actually came from an MD.

If you are in touch with a DO already...network. Maybe he knows someone at a hospital that is on call nights, or something like that. Be creative.

Good Luck- Don't sell yourself short.

I totally agree with dieselkid, "it's something that you have to do". I had an interview at NYCOM, which does not "require" a letter from a D.O. I arrived at campus the day before my interview and mingled with some of the students to try and get a taste of the environment there. One of the students I met was very helpful and introduced me to a professor/interviewer. I asked him the same question you're asking here. His response was "get the letter". What you might want to do is start asking some family and friends if they know of a D.O. That's what I did and to the surprise of one of my family members their p.c.p. was a D.O.

Hope this helps.

I'm also from MA (Greater Boston area) and will be a 1st year at NYCOM this fall. If you have any other questions feel free to post it here or send me an email "[email protected]"

Good luck!