DO Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LP1CW

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've sent in two one DO recommendation to PCOM. Do DO letters really make a differece? What are your thoughts? How about for schools that don't require them. Has anyone applied to schools and got interviews without DO letters?

Members don't see this ad.

unfortunately no DO recs for me...but i have gotten interviews...and specifically at pcom in case you were wondering.

oh, actually i have only applied to three schools pcom, nycom, umdnj so i can't speak for all the do schools. but i haven't had any problems just yet...despite being in do central(pa). i just never found/made the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Ms. Dawson. I wasn't sure if it was something that is necessary.

I didnt have DO letter and I got interviews from AZCOM/Tucom/Western and I'm already accepted at AZCOM.

good luck to u

I don't know if it is who writes the letter as much as what's inside that counts. I had two DO's actually write me awesome letters of recommendations and I recieved interviews to 7 osteopathic schools so far and I am still waiting on NSUCOM. I don't know how much they weighed in the decision and they never came up in my interviews at all. Just make sure you get a great recommendation.

Do any of you know of people accepted to D.O. schools without a LOR from a D.O.?

My LOR is from an M.D. because it was someone who I worked with for a number of years and knew me well. While I have spoken with a number of D.O.'s, I did not ask them to write me LOR's because I felt it would be forced and that they didn't really know me. Reading this thread is making me regret this decision. And it's definitely pretty late in the game to try and get one now.

Any thoughts? Do I still have a chance?

All the D.O. schools I applied to specified that they would like a LOR from a D.O. but would accept one from an M.D. Is this not actually the case in practice?

Originally posted by SUPERSTARZ
Do any of you know of people accepted to D.O. schools without a LOR from a D.O.?

uhhhhh read above..... mackaikai just said they were accepted without a DO letter. :rolleyes:

No. I had 3 D.O. LOR's. 2 were from adjuncts at PCOM. I believe that is the reason I was accepted to PCOM. Thank God since it was the only school I applied to. Not that I would not have applied to others. I had my appl. to UMDNJ-SOM in hold status and was waiting to press the submit button for the AMCAS.

If you can not get a letter you can not get a letter. Many people are accepted without them. I believe my LOR's may have overshadowed any deficiencies I had.

KUMC_MD, I'm sorry to read about your experiences. Please do not lose hope. Why do you think you were unsuccessful? Do you need to bring up your MCAT or GPA? Have you interviewed or were you rejected post secondary?

If it's not too late, why not spend a few more dollars and add a few more schools. Apply to some other DO programs, you might get in this year. Good luck