Do residencies care where you ultimately practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okokok

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many medical schools include it as part of their "mission" to produce physicians who will serve the surrounding communities. Have you noticed a similar trend with residency programs?

Motivation behind my question: I'd like to train at a city program, but see myself practicing rurally (likely in a different state), and my personal statement mentions that.

Members don't see this ad.

In general... no. From the day you start residency your inbox will be flooded with job offers (but be aware and get a lawyer before you sign any contract...). As long as you do a good job in residency (do you work, don't complain/be lazy, read, etc) your program will help you in anyway you can.

The only caveat is that networking may be limited (meaning, your program may not have graduates in the area you want to practice) but again, psych is a buyer's market, especially in a rural setting (props to you btw this is vastly needed). Hopefully betsy devos doesn't kill PSLF because you could have your loans forgiven too!

residencies that are at public medical schools often do have a mission to train the next generation of physicians to practice in that state. so yes, many public programs do want people who are going to stay in the area/state. also a lot of people do end up sticking around where they trained by virtue of settling down, making connections, laziness etc. The top program tend to see their mission as to train the next generation of leaders in the field, and leaders end up anywhere. If you are actually interested in practicing rurally, then hopefully programs will be excited to have you! we certainly need people to practice in such areas more than we do in the major metropolitan areas psychiatrists tend to congregate in. I would just explain your rationale for wanting to practice in an urban area.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't noticed this in my program, though there is obviously a small push for academic practice rather than practice in another environment. Beyond that, the program seems pretty supportive for assisting residents to get into whatever environment in whatever location they want to practice in.

Many medical schools include it as part of their "mission" to produce physicians who will serve the surrounding communities. Have you noticed a similar trend with residency programs?

Motivation behind my question: I'd like to train at a city program, but see myself practicing rurally (likely in a different state), and my personal statement mentions that.
There are really few residency programs that strongly emphasize rural practice, simply because most programs are located in urban areas. But as an urban PD, I'm going to mainly just want to know that you've considered how our program meets your educational needs (or not). I have had, and currently have, several residents who have expressed future rural interests, and we try to steer them to some of the opportunities we do have--to rotate in an outlying clinic during part of their outpatient year instead of some of the more typical urban/suburban ones, for example. Expect it to come up with interviewers who've actually read your PS--had one applicant whose PS was ALL about her rural interests, growing up in small town, etc. She did great because she was really clear that what she wanted from us was top notch clinical training which would give her the skills to ultimately be the only psychiatrist, or one of a few, in a rural area. She matched with us, to our mutual delight.