Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

do residencies give state preference?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by AbujaMan, Dec 21, 2008.

1. AbujaMan

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i am writing this in the premed forum bc im premed and wonder if i should consider this when choosing a med school.

my question is, do state medical school-affiliated hospitals also have instate preference for residencies or does that not matter?

2. MedicFL

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Doesn't matter....

3. djfermion

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have heard something to the effect that residencies will give preference to students from their med school. is this at least true?

4. size_tens

size_tens Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm a MS4 going through the whole residency application process. Regional preferences really only come into play for certain competitive areas (ie California). If you know you want to do a residency in CA, attending a CA med school probably offers some advantage. In other parts of the country it's generally not a big deal. Many med schools do offer some favoritism in taking their own students for residency. Contrary to popular belief, where you go to med school does have a strong influence on where you will be competitive in applying for residencies. Don't take the decision lightly.

5. Droopy Snoopy

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes. In many places, not all.

6. bluesmd

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    so many people have outright rejected this. does anyone have any proof either way or is it just conjecture?