do residencies give state preference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AbujaMan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am writing this in the premed forum bc im premed and wonder if i should consider this when choosing a med school.

my question is, do state medical school-affiliated hospitals also have instate preference for residencies or does that not matter?

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't matter....

I have heard something to the effect that residencies will give preference to students from their med school. is this at least true?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a MS4 going through the whole residency application process. Regional preferences really only come into play for certain competitive areas (ie California). If you know you want to do a residency in CA, attending a CA med school probably offers some advantage. In other parts of the country it's generally not a big deal. Many med schools do offer some favoritism in taking their own students for residency. Contrary to popular belief, where you go to med school does have a strong influence on where you will be competitive in applying for residencies. Don't take the decision lightly.

Contrary to popular belief, where you go to med school does have a strong influence on where you will be competitive in applying for residencies. Don't take the decision lightly.

so many people have outright rejected this. does anyone have any proof either way or is it just conjecture?