DO Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroFun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all:

Ok, even though I am a pre-medical student I figured I should post this where I can get more reliable answers. First of all, I have recently been looking up the difference between DO and MD and I find DO's type of practice more geared towards my 'fancy'. I graduate this year (WOOO) and am applying to schools (both types) this summer most likely in the Texas area (thought a year off would be beneficial even though some say I should have gone straight) and as of now, I think I will prefer to go to the DO school.

The question I have is concerning the residency. I understand that DO's can have the choice to do either MD or DO residencies. I want to go into surgery I know for sure and I am pretty sure I want to specialize in orthopedic spine surgery (although my mind is still open). Both MD and DO have opportunities to do a resident in this specialty, but I wanted to know if there are any difference or preferences in the work world (job availability, salary, fellowship opportunity, etc) or anything regarding doing a DO surgical residency vs a MD one. I understand that DO's are considered to have a more hands-on approach and learn OMT, but most topics I see of DO residencies are of people wanting to do IM, FP, etc. So with emphasis on surgery (preferably spine), any advantages and disadvantages between DO and MD residencies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Salary & Job Availability are identical, except if you want to work in academic research institutions where it might be a little more confusing (Tendencies seem to be DO-Community Based, MD-Research Based).

Regarding fellowships, if you do OGME or AOA approved ACGME residency you can go to osteopathic fellowships too. The main hurdle in your overall plan would be to actually get in to an orthopedics or neurosurgury residency in order to become a spine surgeon (ACGME/OGME are both very very very ... very competetive right now). I've heard that spine surgery as a fellowship isn't really as competetive these days though because of lifestyle issues.

DO is taught and tested on extra material (OMT), but being the less common type of physician there could be an MD attending who prefers to "take his own" if faced with choosing MD vs DO residents with the same qualifications. DO students have the OGME residencies to give an edge or at least make up for this though.

As a final note, I read somewhere that the medical students or at least the mods on SDN prefer if us pre-meds ask our questions on the Pre-Med forum which is frequently visited by medical students anyways. I believe what I said is what medical students here would agree with anyways. Goodnight:oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't have to be a medical student to post in this forum unless your OP is a pre-med topic. Well, from my understanding.

Last edited:
Doubt it's a huge deal, but it's the first item on the Allopathic MedStudent board's "read this before posting" sticky.

hehe don't even ask me how I remembered it, I've the most selectively random memory ever ... I only wish that I could somehow harness that unique ability to use on my school tests :rolleyes: