Do residency programs ever make exceptions for their US clinical experience requirements for imgs?

Jan 16, 2014
Status
Non-Student
So I'm looking at some programs where they require 6 months or 1 year US clinical experience. I was wondering do programs ever make exceptions to these requirements? For ex. if an applicant has a high Step 1 score? Or is it just better to look elsewhere?

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
If you don't meet published requirements you're unlikely to get an interview there.

It's one thing if you've heard that Program X wants 6 months of USCE. It's something completely different if they explicitly state that. Spend your money elsewhere.

Reactions: Maruko

thehundredthone

7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2012
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I know of a handful of people that are in programs that had published USCE requirements higher than what they had on their profile. I must state though that the USCE requirement is as of this year and could have been different in the last two years. It can happen, but that still doesn't warrant your application to all such programs. If you have a program you really want to roll the dice for, it's your $26.