Do residency programs ever make exceptions for their US clinical experience requirements for imgs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeedToStudy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking at some programs where they require 6 months or 1 year US clinical experience. I was wondering do programs ever make exceptions to these requirements? For ex. if an applicant has a high Step 1 score? Or is it just better to look elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't meet published requirements you're unlikely to get an interview there.

It's one thing if you've heard that Program X wants 6 months of USCE. It's something completely different if they explicitly state that. Spend your money elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
I know of a handful of people that are in programs that had published USCE requirements higher than what they had on their profile. I must state though that the USCE requirement is as of this year and could have been different in the last two years. It can happen, but that still doesn't warrant your application to all such programs. If you have a program you really want to roll the dice for, it's your $26.