Do residency programs know which fellowships you applied to or where you match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Socrates25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know for the main residency match that ERAS/NRMP sends out a list of where their med students match to each med school.

Does the same thing happen at the residency level? For example, does the NRMP send my residency program director a notification that I matched into fellowship and where?

I know the fellowship program directors where you apply find out, but i'm talking SPECIFICALLY about the residency PD.

Members don't see this ad.

I know for the main residency match that ERAS/NRMP sends out a list of where their med students match to each med school.

Does the same thing happen at the residency level? For example, does the NRMP send my residency program director a notification that I matched into fellowship and where?

I know the fellowship program directors where you apply find out, but i'm talking SPECIFICALLY about the residency PD.

Apply? No. Match? Yes.

Apply? No. Match? Yes.

What happens if you graduate from residency and apply later? Say for example you apply for fellowship a year or two after?

Does the residency PD still get notified or is it only for people who are actively in the residency program?

What happens if you graduate from residency and apply later? Say for example you apply for fellowship a year or two after?

Does the residency PD still get notified or is it only for people who are actively in the residency program?

Not certain about that but I think probably yes. Why does it matter?

I think they do... There's a fellow at my home institution who took a few years off following residency before going to his fellowship. I interviewed at his residency program and he was listed on the fellowship match list. Seems like someone there was paying attention to where he ended up.

My program director gave a lot of negative comments about a program I really like and is strongly pressuring me to go to his alma-mater for fellowship. Obviously I can confront him about it but I was just wondering if he would know where I matched.

My program director gave a lot of negative comments about a program I really like and is strongly pressuring me to go to his alma-mater for fellowship. Obviously I can confront him about it but I was just wondering if he would know where I matched.

If you have legit reasons for wanting to go where you do, and it's the best thing for your career, do it and don't worry about your PD. In my specialty at least, where you do your fellowship matters more for job opportunities than where you did residency. You should go where the overall situation best suits you best.