UncUndergrad1

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2008
Status
Do residency programs, namely OMF surgery, prefer their own DDS students or even hold slots for them specifically? UMB, Columbia, and UNC information specifically would be great.

texas_dds

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2004
Puget Sound
Status
Dentist
i would say not necessarily. in ortho, it seems like the middle or low tier programs take more of their own dental grads - but the top tier programs are more diverse in their selections in general.

Dukie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
From what I've been told (and I am not going into OMFS, so this is just observation and word of mouth), UNC OMFS rarely takes students from the pre-doc program. I have no idea why.

About the Ads

Diezel69x

The Oral Pathologist
10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2006
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
they probably dont have preference, but in your own school you would obviously know more people and have more connections, which can be more important thatn NBDE's and class ranks....

HupHolland

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2008
MA / RI
Status
Dentist
Do residency programs, namely OMF surgery, prefer their own DDS students or even hold slots for them specifically? UMB, Columbia, and UNC information specifically would be great.
I'm pretty sure that UMB takes one of their DDS grads into OMFS each year. This is hear-say from someone in class that wants to do oral surgery..I have no aspirations.

Hup

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
Status
Non-Student
If you look on any programs website that posts their residents, invariably at least a few will be from the home program. It makes sense that because you work closely with the faculty, staff and all that, you're less of an "unknown" than anyone else applying.

That being said, ~50% of Highland OMFS' residents graduated from Pacific.

Squished Rat

10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2006
I can only speak to UNC, but last year, Dr. Reside, the pre-doc OMFS told me that they would probably not take anyone from UNC because they were concerned they were getting a reputation for taking too much from in-house. Take it FWIW.

About the Ads