1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Do residency programs, namely OMF surgery, prefer their own DDS students

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by UncUndergrad1, Dec 24, 2008.

1. UncUndergrad1

7+ Year Member

Do residency programs, namely OMF surgery, prefer their own DDS students or even hold slots for them specifically? UMB, Columbia, and UNC information specifically would be great.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. texas_dds

texas_dds Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    i would say not necessarily. in ortho, it seems like the middle or low tier programs take more of their own dental grads - but the top tier programs are more diverse in their selections in general.

4. Dukie

Dukie Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    From what I've been told (and I am not going into OMFS, so this is just observation and word of mouth), UNC OMFS rarely takes students from the pre-doc program. I have no idea why.

5. Diezel69x

Diezel69x The Oral Pathologist
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    they probably dont have preference, but in your own school you would obviously know more people and have more connections, which can be more important thatn NBDE's and class ranks....

6. HupHolland

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I'm pretty sure that UMB takes one of their DDS grads into OMFS each year. This is hear-say from someone in class that wants to do oral surgery..I have no aspirations.

Hup

7. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    If you look on any programs website that posts their residents, invariably at least a few will be from the home program. It makes sense that because you work closely with the faculty, staff and all that, you're less of an "unknown" than anyone else applying.

That being said, ~50% of Highland OMFS' residents graduated from Pacific.

8. Squished Rat

5+ Year Member

I can only speak to UNC, but last year, Dr. Reside, the pre-doc OMFS told me that they would probably not take anyone from UNC because they were concerned they were getting a reputation for taking too much from in-house. Take it FWIW.