Do residency programs, namely OMF surgery, prefer their own DDS students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UncUndergrad1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do residency programs, namely OMF surgery, prefer their own DDS students or even hold slots for them specifically? UMB, Columbia, and UNC information specifically would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

i would say not necessarily. in ortho, it seems like the middle or low tier programs take more of their own dental grads - but the top tier programs are more diverse in their selections in general.

From what I've been told (and I am not going into OMFS, so this is just observation and word of mouth), UNC OMFS rarely takes students from the pre-doc program. I have no idea why.

Members don't see this ad :)
they probably dont have preference, but in your own school you would obviously know more people and have more connections, which can be more important thatn NBDE's and class ranks....

Do residency programs, namely OMF surgery, prefer their own DDS students or even hold slots for them specifically? UMB, Columbia, and UNC information specifically would be great.

I'm pretty sure that UMB takes one of their DDS grads into OMFS each year. This is hear-say from someone in class that wants to do oral surgery..I have no aspirations.

Hup

If you look on any programs website that posts their residents, invariably at least a few will be from the home program. It makes sense that because you work closely with the faculty, staff and all that, you're less of an "unknown" than anyone else applying.

That being said, ~50% of Highland OMFS' residents graduated from Pacific.

I can only speak to UNC, but last year, Dr. Reside, the pre-doc OMFS told me that they would probably not take anyone from UNC because they were concerned they were getting a reputation for taking too much from in-house. Take it FWIW.