DO respect?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summer

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be attending osteopathic school next fall and I wanted to get some pre-meds', med students', and/or alums' opinions on the prejudice that D.O.'s still encounter. I applied only to D.O. programs because the philosophy more closely parallels my own about medicine (I am a big believer in manipulation), and my personal ethics tell me that this was definitely the right choice, but I can't help but be scared of what I may encounter after graduation. Although D.O. schools have become extremely competetive, and the requirements have increased drastically, it seems that D.O.'s don't get the professional respect they deserve from their M.D. colleagues. Of course this isn't universal, but I'm wondering what others' thoughts are on this.

Members don't see this ad.

You shouldn't rely too much on premeds...most of us really don't have a clue...its all generated by ego and stuff. Rely on the word of people who live evry day in the field. My DO (from the south jersey area) said that there no is no difference in terms of respect.

I find that in life you have to respect yourself before others will respect you. Be proud of who you are and what paths you choose to take and eventually make part of you. If you respect yourself, those who do not respect you are not much worth worrying about.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm with Jack on this one.

Ask yourself... do you respect M.D.s? Because I don't. I don't respect D.O.s either, for that matter. I respect the PERSON bearing the degree if that person deserves my respect.

In sum, the degree itself means nothing. The character and competence of the practitioner means everything.

Gregory Gulick
Accepted, NSUCOM '03
http://www.osteopathic.com/gregory

Greeting. Why do you care whether MDs respect you or not? Their opinions about you and other DOs bear no financial or legal impact on you, me, and the rest of the DO community. The important question is: will you conduct yourself in a competent manner as to warrant respect and trust from your patients? As I've stated in one of my posts, respect and recognition by MDs and other DOs is a placebo booster shot to one's ego (to just have the confidence of one's own peers), but entirely unecessary. If you're a great doctor, patients will love you, and if you're not, I suggest you acquire a law degree afterwards.

What respect? Osteopath people are not real physicians. "oh but the law says we are equal" and blah blah. And the law said Black people could be slaves. Who really listens to the law? Osteopath teach stuff that should be illegal. If you want respect and to be a doctor, go to US MD or Ross or SGU.

GET THE MD OR CHOOSE ANOTHER FIELD
:laugh: 20 minute old account and is an "attending physician", bumping 15-year-old threads. This guy is legit. I got my Tim Horton's served to me by a DO the other day.

Reactions: 1 user
:laugh: 20 minute old account and is an "attending physician", bumping 15-year-old threads. This guy is legit. I got my Tim Horton's served to me by a DO the other day.
He must have applied OMM to the cup otherwise it wouldn't have tasted so delicious ;)