Do Rh+ RBCs make anti-Rh- antibodies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osakhomen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know Rh- RBC can make Anti-Rh+ antibodies, but do Rh+ RBCs make anti-Rh- antibodies? My guess is no, because Rh- doesn't have the Rh antigen... but I'm not sure.

Members don't see this ad.

So I know Rh- RBC can make Anti-Rh+ antibodies, but do Rh+ RBCs make anti-Rh- antibodies? My guess is no, because Rh- doesn't have the Rh antigen... but I'm not sure.

RBCs aren't the ones making antibodies either

Members don't see this ad :)
Remember that antibodies are supposed to target foreign antigens. Someone who is Rh- will produce antibodies against the Rh antigen because it doesn't exist naturally in their body. Someone who is Rh+ on the other hand will not produce antibodies against Rh because it is a product of their own cells.

Remember that antibodies are supposed to target foreign antigens. Someone who is Rh- will produce antibodies against the Rh antigen because it doesn't exist naturally in their body. Someone who is Rh+ on the other hand will not produce antibodies against Rh because it is a product of their own cells.

thanks!