DO Scholarships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

franklinthedog

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just got my Aug scores....8v 9p 10b and wsQ....Not what I wanted, but that's what they are. I studied a ton too!

Anyway, I don't know if I could get into any MD school with that kind of MCAT. And I still want to be a doctor, so here's my question....If I go to DO school, I will have to be out of state. I live in NC, hence as an out of stater tuition will be very high. Are there the same scholarship opportunities for DOs as MDs? I know that MDs can do federal service scholarships, do these exist for DOs?

Thanks for your time....

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my Aug scores....8v 9p 10b and wsQ....Not what I wanted, but that's what they are. I studied a ton too!

Anyway, I don't know if I could get into any MD school with that kind of MCAT. And I still want to be a doctor, so here's my question....If I go to DO school,
I hope your MCAT of 8v 9p 10b and wsQ gets you to a MD school since that is what you want. You should not be looking at DO schools as a BACKUP option. Your MCAT score probably gets you into many good DO schools. Since you do not seem to have a genuine interest in osteopathy, you might have deprieved someone who is truly interested in osteopathy, but has a lesser stat that you have. It's not fair IMHO. Hence, my advice to you is that in the event you do not get in to a MD school this year, try to study a ton again and improve your stat. Reapply next year. I think that going to a DO school just because you want to be a doctor would not make you happy in the future. I know a friend who tried for three consecutive years, and finally got in to George Washington U.

I will have to be out of state. I live in NC, hence as an out of stater tuition will be very high.
Most DO schools are private and not subsidized by the government. There are a few state owned DO schools and subsidized for their state residents. But those schools are very hard to get in for out of staters (TCOM and OSUCOM can accept less than 10% of its incoming class, MSUCOM can accept no more than 20% of its class, but in reality 10%) and charge a much higher tuition for out of staters. For example, MSUCOM charges $38000 per year.

Are there the same scholarship opportunities for DOs as MDs? I know that MDs can do federal service scholarships, do these exist for DOs?
Yes. If you sign up for federal service scholarship, it pays for books, equipment, tuition and other expenses in return for your commitment to work for the government for x number of years. You can get more info from your financial aid officer.

Good luck to you.

I've been looking into this same question myself. Check with your state to see if they offer forgiveable loans. I know a couple of states will pay the difference between osteopathic school and the state allopathic schools if you agree to serve as a doctor in an underpriviledged area of the state for a few years. This is really a good deal. Check the AACOM website for details. The states that I have seen that offer such a program are: Washington, Colorado, Missouri, and Kentucky.