DO school and religious people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zoner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys all think that DO schools attract more religious people? I ask because while hanging out at a DO school, I observed some religious people being blatant about their being religious. I don't mean just spiritual in nature, but RELIGIOUS.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys all think that DO schools attract more religious people? I ask because while hanging out at a DO school, I observed some religious people being blatant about their being religious. I don't mean just spiritual in nature, but RELIGIOUS.

Not necessarily, there are religious nuts everywhere. After all this is 'Murica.

I would venture to say that it isn't a question of if DO schools attract more religious people (I am assuming you are comparing to MD) but more of what region ANY med school is in DO or MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
You must have been at VCOM.

I think it would strongly depend on where you are. If an area is on average more religious, then the student bodies of schools in that area will reflect that. There are a couple zealots in my class, but mostly people are pretty sensible about it and keep it to themselves.

I would recite the gospel for loma Linda if they would accept me. Then I'd go about things as usual. Lol

simple solution: mind your own business and don't pay attention to them. If what they are doing offends you, don't associate with them. Who cares if theres religious people doing religious things, lol. As long as it doesn't hinder you then it shouldnt matter.

simple solution: Mind your own business and don't pay attention to them. If what they are doing offends you, don't associate with them. Who cares if theres religious people doing religious things, lol. As long as it doesn't hinder you then it shouldnt matter.

+1

They're religious and they want to be a doctor? Don't they think God's plan is for people to get sick? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
They're religious and they want to be a doctor? Don't they think God's plan is for people to get sick? :rolleyes:

I'm going to make an executive decision and just gonna stamp this comment as SARCASM, thus curtailing the poo storm that it is going to illicit otherwise.

Are we talking along the lines of wearing necklaces with a cross on it OR something like scourging themselves in the halls?

Are we talking along the lines of wearing necklaces with a cross on it OR something like scourging themselves in the halls?

Maybe it was just a coincidence, but heard two people talking about praying and going to bible studies and another teacher was wearing a cross. No, they weren't saying that I should believe this or that, but still.. I don't go around saying, oh today, I listened to Richard Dawkin's Youtube videos before coming to class or saying loudly that I respect Bill Maher because he is such an atheist etc...

BTW, I didn't raise this topic to start a religious discussion or anything like that. Just telling something I had observed.

I'm bringing the religion of The Force to whatever school I get into. Gonna make **** float around the anatomy lab and jedi mind trick exams answers out of professors.

Bill Maher is a terrible example. Have you heard him speak about medicine?

no, the only thing i heard him say anything about medicine is when he asked his guest why an asprin costs 60 dollars when given at a hospital.

A significant percentage of humans, both abroad and in the United States, are religious. That means a significant percentage of our future patients will be religious. In order to provide health care we must be able to communicate with people from all backgrounds. No matter the patient's ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, or religious affiliation we must provide the same level of care. It would be good practice for all of us to consider our medical school colleagues who differ from us as opportunities to learn the communication, tolerance, and compassion necessary in our future service.

P.S. I'm an atheist.

+1:thumbup:

Maybe it was just a coincidence, but heard two people talking about praying and going to bible studies and another teacher was wearing a cross. No, they weren't saying that I should believe this or that, but still.. I don't go around saying, oh today, I listened to Richard Dawkin's Youtube videos before coming to class or saying loudly that I respect Bill Maher because he is such an atheist etc...

BTW, I didn't raise this topic to start a religious discussion or anything like that. Just telling something I had observed.

So...you overheard a conversation between 2 people and witnessed somewhere wearing a piece of jewelry? If that really bothers you you're gonna want to avoid a lot of schools.

How would you feel about a colleague or patient that is Orthodox Jews, Russian Orthodox, Buddhist, Hari Krishna, or Islam that may wear religious clothing on a daily basis?

omg they talked about the bible and wore a cross in front of you??? WTF??!! I'm pretty sure tons of people wear crosses and tons of people talk about the bible. Since you seem to not like religion and think DO is full of it than I suggest looking into carib.

A significant percentage of humans, both abroad and in the United States, are religious. That means a significant percentage of our future patients will be religious. In order to provide health care we must be able to communicate with people from all backgrounds. No matter the patient's ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, or religious affiliation we must provide the same level of care. It would be good practice for all of us to consider our medical school colleagues who differ from us as opportunities to learn the communication, tolerance, and compassion necessary in our future service.

P.S. I'm an atheist.

Absolutely! And I'm a Catholic (a practicing one). Learn tolerance. I also agree about location playing a factor into this.

man....trolls be trollin'

that comment is a joke. not a joke like funny, but a joke like ridiculous.

who gives a crap honestly? seriously sounds like they were just people minding their own business. And yeah the amount of people who openly talk about their religion varies mostly by location - here in the midwest we like to keep those kinds of thing very private, but in the south they are more open about it. As long as they weren't hurting anyone why do you care?

So...you overheard a conversation between 2 people and witnessed somewhere wearing a piece of jewelry? If that really bothers you you're gonna want to avoid a lot of schools.

How would you feel about a colleague or patient that is Orthodox Jews, Russian Orthodox, Buddhist, Hari Krishna, or Islam that may wear religious clothing on a daily basis?

dude man, chill, did I say what they said or wore offended me? gawd, people get so sensitive with religion. It is something I just observed and also read somewhere on SDN about some Osteopathic schools having religious affiliation, so thought maybe it attracts certain religious people. It is not about whether people are religious, but if the institution has certain ties with religious groups, especially the fundamental ones that aren't keen on rights of everybody, then maybe it is something I rather not be part of. And please, tolerance? really? fundamental Christians really need to be tolerated or protected as if they were the victim? Please~

dude man, chill, did I say what they said or wore offended me? gawd, people get so sensitive with religion. It is something I just observed and also read somewhere on SDN about some Osteopathic schools having religious affiliation, so thought maybe it attracts certain religious people. It is not about whether people are religious, but if the institution has certain ties with religious groups, especially the fundamental ones that aren't keen on rights of everybody, then maybe it is something I rather not be part of. And please, tolerance? really? fundamental Christians really need to be tolerated or protected as if they were the victim? Please~

just a few days ago the CFA store my friend works out was vandalized. Windows smashed and spray painted messages about hating gay people. So id say some christians are the victims for their beliefs. That CFA didn't do anything to anyone, they're just trying to make a living. If you got beef with CFA, take it up with the CEO.

i'm not sure what you are expecting but your ideas seem a little bit ridiculous. you saw some religious people on a campus so you worry that secretly osteopathic schools are controlled by evil religious cults that want to make you read the bible and wear crosses? I just don't understand your stance. Just because a school is christain or catholic doesn't mean they force you to be. What religious groups are you even talking about that take away the rights of others? I think you are mixing up religion and cults..and i'm pretty sure DO schools arent secretly compounds for cultists. Although there are some SDNers that I can swear have been brainwashed..

How dare they! and in public...:rolleyes:

any extremism should be looked at by the educated (us hopefully) with heavy scrutiny. extreme religion, liberalism, conservatism, etc...they are all too much of something. But religion itself isn't bad.

An educated mind is a balanced and open mind, but realizes social limits and values respect.

Edit: To be fair, Bill Maher is a near complete idiot. ;)

Last edited:

A few thoughts:
1) Wasn't offended one bit by anything you said and have no need to chill. I'm so chill I practically am absolute zero. What ones beliefs may or may not be and how they relate to mine will never affect how I treat you. I will always give the respect and kindness that I expect to receive in return. Sphere of influence buddy, sphere of influence.

2) When you say things like, "I don't go around saying, oh today, I listened to Richard Dawkin's Youtube videos before coming to class or saying loudly that I respect Bill Maher because he is such an atheist etc..." people can't help but call you out or the overall tone of things you say. Frankly, it makes you come off as the one of the people that 'get so sensitive over religion' whether it be true or not.

as far as my opinion on Maher I think anyone who makes a living being a wet-blanket is a goober, but love how he hates on 9/11 conspiracy theorists.

with our economy the only thing a bachelors degree does is make you an educated fry cook.

A few thoughts:
1) Wasn't offended one bit by anything you said and have no need to chill. I'm so chill I practically am absolute zero. What ones beliefs may or may not be and how they relate to mine will never affect how I treat you. I will always give the respect and kindness that I expect to receive in return. Sphere of influence buddy, sphere of influence.

2) When you say things like, "I don't go around saying, oh today, I listened to Richard Dawkin's Youtube videos before coming to class or saying loudly that I respect Bill Maher because he is such an atheist etc..." people can't help but call you out or the overall tone of things you say. Frankly, it makes you come off as the one of the people that 'get so sensitive over religion' whether it be true or not.

as far as my opinion on Maher I think anyone who makes a living being a wet-blanket is a goober, but love how he hates on 9/11 conspiracy theorists.

+1

Its funny when the instigator says, "u madd?/chill out?" I think it means they are mad, or have run out of substance to spew.

And this sentence,

"I don't go around saying, oh today, I listened to Richard Dawkin's Youtube videos before coming to class or saying loudly that I respect Bill Maher because he is such an atheist etc..."

makes no sense whatsoever in regards to your thread's point, Mr. OP.

Zoner has zoned out... (probably a troll, but whatev's)

Bill Maher is a terrible example. Have you heard him speak about medicine?

He doesn't bash medicine. He exposes those who abuse meds. He was wrong about the swine vaccine though

+1

Its funny when the instigator says, "u madd?/chill out?" I think it means they are mad, or have run out of substance to spew.

And this sentence,

"I don't go around saying, oh today, I listened to Richard Dawkin's Youtube videos before coming to class or saying loudly that I respect Bill Maher because he is such an atheist etc..."

makes no sense whatsoever in regards to your thread's point, Mr. OP.

Zoner has zoned out... (probably a troll, but whatev's)

so what are you getting at? are you instigating for me to keep "spewing" what? if you can't answer my question, but have to go on an offense, then why bother reply to this thread? Are you guys really insecure about your religion or are you guys just so bored?

maybe you guys are too young to realize this, but the whole idea behind osteopathic medicine being more close to "natural" or enhancing body's own natural immune response can be interpreted by many, including by the religious zealots who has their own version of what natural as how god intended. I grew up in a very religious family, and currently work in a religion affiliated hospital, so i know a thing or two about how they try to make it a norm to talk about god, church and bible and to include that in an everyday life. Code word for conversion. And yes, a big portion of Judaic based religions are (except for Judaism) conspiratorial in terms of the fact that the one of the main point of their religion is in fact to convert others to their ways which means to achieve it in any way they can. It is also one thing to respect the importance of religion in healing due to their therapeutic quality, but it is another to be associated with institution that is affiliated with religion. My original question was whether unbeknownst to me if O schools were somehow affiliated with religion, and I got the answer.

I don't have time to look up the clips but I recall a few shows in which he denied the existence of bacteria and virus. Granted, I haven't watched him in several years so he may have toned it down.

yeah, but come on, he wasn't a science major, he is an artist. i do know that he reads a lot about things related to health, and not necessary medical school text books. I respect him not because everything he says, but he is one of those few famous Americans who really stands up to call out the buffoonish of american politics.

so i know a thing or two about how they try to make it a norm to talk about god, church and bible and to include that in an everyday life. Code word for conversion.

The jig is up!

maybe you guys are too young to realize this, but the whole idea behind osteopathic medicine being more close to "natural" or enhancing body's own natural immune response can be interpreted by many, including by the religious zealots who has their own version of what natural as how god intended.

:laugh:

Forgive us all for not being born in 1892.

This is just turning comical now.

so what are you getting at? are you instigating for me to keep "spewing" what? if you can't answer my question, but have to go on an offense, then why bother reply to this thread? Are you guys really insecure about your religion or are you guys just so bored?

maybe you guys are too young to realize this, but the whole idea behind osteopathic medicine being more close to "natural" or enhancing body's own natural immune response can be interpreted by many, including by the religious zealots who has their own version of what natural as how god intended. I grew up in a very religious family, and currently work in a religion affiliated hospital, so i know a thing or two about how they try to make it a norm to talk about god, church and bible and to include that in an everyday life. Code word for conversion. And yes, a big portion of Judaic based religions are (except for Judaism) conspiratorial in terms of the fact that the one of the main point of their religion is in fact to convert others to their ways which means to achieve it in any way they can. It is also one thing to respect the importance of religion in healing due to their therapeutic quality, but it is another to be associated with institution that is affiliated with religion. My original question was whether unbeknownst to me if O schools were somehow affiliated with religion, and I got the answer.

or maybe they just firmly have faith in their beleifs and enjoy discussing them with others? Do these people go to your house and sing christian songs or something? or bombard you with brochures? I mean people aren't getting their feelings hurt (i'm not anyways) it's just that your reasoning seems highly flawed and biased. I mean you see a few people wearing crosses or talking about the bible and you switch into paranoid mode and make a sdn thread about it...give me a break man. This is America. No one here can force you to be christian. I'm not sure how you are getting converted at your hospital...lol...

P.S. I'm an atheist.

+1. I would add that a significant percentage of people on this board are religious. Sometimes anti-religious sentiments fly around this board as if it were a given that surely everyone on SDN is too enlightened to be religious. That's not the case. Many of us are just quiet about it.

My mother was a Lutheran missionary from Escandinavia, and my father was a deacon from México. They tried to convert each other, but then they got married instead. Then they died.
or maybe they just firmly have faith in their beleifs and enjoy discussing them with others? Do these people go to your house and sing christian songs or something? or bombard you with brochures? I mean people aren't getting their feelings hurt (i'm not anyways) it's just that your reasoning seems highly flawed and biased. I mean you see a few people wearing crosses or talking about the bible and you switch into paranoid mode and make a sdn thread about it...give me a break man. This is America. No one here can force you to be christian. I'm not sure how you are getting converted at your hospital...lol...

Very true. Many religions believe they have the truth, and as such their adherents like to share what they see as the truth with others. There is nothing inherently wrong with this. Of course, it can get out of control and become harassment, and certain places (such as schools and SDN) are not generally the right place for active proselytizing. Still, there is nothing wrong with sharing a personal source of happiness with others, if done with respect for the other person's beliefs and feelings.

Its tough to know how much effort I should put into replying, I still feel like you are either a troll, or a teenager.

First, what Im getting at is exactly what I said, which is Im uncertain of your sincerity here. If you are sincere about your comments, God help you (see what I did there ;) ) But really, you need to find a way to open your mind to people talking about religion...its not offensive and will be a big part of any physicians life. (patients pray, doctors too...if you don't, don't be so worried about it.). which is my second point, you are calling everyone insecure and young, but thats exactly how you are coming across to everyone here. You are insecure because you are worried about people converting you (or others?), when they are just talking about praying and wearing a cross. Not exactly extreme religion.

To go further, the bolded sentence is a very simplistic (not very descriptive...immune system response is not the core of Osteopathic medicine FYI) explanations of what Osteopathic Medicine is. I hope for your sake that your secondaries have something a bit more accurate. And what do you mean about people being too young to know about DO's? Yikes, you have some work ahead of you.

And last of all, I choose my battles here on SDN (unless I'm bored) but your arguments here are so skewed that I dont mind calling you out here. Your conspiracy theory about conversion tactics are laughable. Better not talk to the religious folks or you might catch the faith! lol...

you could have stuck to your original question, but you haven't. So don't beg for mercy now..

Its tough to know how much effort I should put into replying, I still feel like you are either a troll, or a teenager.

First, what Im getting at is exactly what I said, which is Im uncertain of your sincerity here. If you are sincere about your comments, God help you (see what I did there ;) ) But really, you need to find a way to open your mind to people talking about religion...its not offensive and will be a big part of any physicians life. (patients pray, doctors too...if you don't, don't be so worried about it.). which is my second point, you are calling everyone insecure and young, but thats exactly how you are coming across to everyone here. You are insecure because you are worried about people converting you (or others?), when they are just talking about praying and wearing a cross. Not exactly extreme religion.

To go further, the bolded sentence is a very simplistic (not very descriptive...immune system response is not the core of Osteopathic medicine FYI) explanations of what Osteopathic Medicine is. I hope for your sake that your secondaries have something a bit more accurate. And what do you mean about people being too young to know about DO's? Yikes, you have some work ahead of you.

And last of all, I choose my battles here on SDN (unless I'm bored) but your arguments here are so skewed that I dont mind calling you out here. Your conspiracy theory about conversion tactics are laughable. Better not talk to the religious folks or you might catch the faith! lol...

you could have stuck to your original question, but you haven't. So don't beg for mercy now..

:laugh:

Kk.

Honestly anyone that talks about religion in public is a jackass.

Why, because expressing how you feel makes you an *******? If you're talking to your friend about religion, whose also religious I see that as perfectly fine. If you are knocking on people's doors at 7 AM to get them to go to the revival then of course that crosses a line.

if someone doesn't like what I say..then don't listen to me. It's pretty simple, lol. And if you still have a problem..I don't really care too much.

Why, because expressing how you feel makes you an *******? If you're talking to your friend about religion, whose also religious I see that as perfectly fine. If you are knocking on people's doors at 7 AM to get them to go to the revival then of course that crosses a line.

if someone doesn't like what I say..then don't listen to me. It's pretty simple, lol. And if you still have a problem..I don't really care too much.

No, because it is inane and bores the crap out of me. Listening to people express their nuggets of wisdom is worse than going to the dentist.