DO school and religious people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey psychg, I welcome anyone to challenge my comments or ask me to explain further, so dont ever feel bad to disagree with me, or think that it changes my view of you...I like a good debate and love when people share their honest opinions. So, in that spirit:

If you look at all of those issues, there are numerous churches and religions on both sides of each of those issues. So, my point is, you guys arent fighting religion, you are fighting different points of philosophy (or political views, social stances, etc) from a number of different religions. So, being religious myself, its almost funny when people say things like, "i hate that religion is so agains birth control" because my wife and I use birth control, I oppose the kind of war you talk about, I accept evolution (obviously) and that also goes on and on...

The majority of religious people are not like you though.

I will always debate these arguments because they are inaccurate. You, and others think you are fighting "religion" but you are fighting specific churches, which a totally different thing. And I dont see how normal religious people are shoving things down anyones throat. Some people have a moral opposition to things like abortion, regardless of religion, or lack thereof (I actually accept it in many cases...)

Majority of churchs

Compare the westburo baptists to a random Protestant or Jew, etc, and youll see what I mean. Hopefully that clears it up a bit

Westburo <<< Random Protestant <<< Jew, in terms of this argument to put things into scale. The average protestant still hold very conservative views of the world and wants their views to be made governmental law. Jew's are the least conservative and the least concerned, they're pretty docile compared to the latter two.

Members don't see this ad.

Westburo <<< Random Protestant <<< Jew, in terms of this argument to put things into scale. The average protestant still hold very conservative views of the world and wants their views to be made governmental law. Jew's are the least conservative and the least concerned, they're pretty docile compared to the latter two.

:confused:

Id say they're pretty similar...

Hey psychg, I welcome anyone to challenge my comments or ask me to explain further, so dont ever feel bad to disagree with me, or think that it changes my view of you...I like a good debate and love when people share their honest opinions. So, in that spirit:

If you look at all of those issues, there are numerous churches and religions on both sides of each of those issues. So, my point is, you guys arent fighting religion, you are fighting different points of philosophy (or political views, social stances, etc) from a number of different religions. So, being religious myself, its almost funny when people say things like, "i hate that religion is so agains birth control" because my wife and I use birth control, I oppose the kind of war you talk about, I accept evolution (obviously) and that also goes on and on...

I will always debate these arguments because they are inaccurate. You, and others think you are fighting "religion" but you are fighting specific churches, which a totally different thing. And I dont see how normal religious people are shoving things down anyones throat. Some people have a moral opposition to things like abortion, regardless of religion, or lack thereof (I actually accept it in many cases...)

Compare the westburo baptists to a random Protestant or Jew, etc, and youll see what I mean. Hopefully that clears it up a bit

I don't think I am fighting anybody, I am just want to stand up for equality for everyone and basically the opposition to that comes from a religious point of view.

In my state, they tried to pass a law saying that being a single mother is child abuse, and the dude justified it in terms of religion. I really don't think that most religious people are extremists. However, what is mostly thrown around is extreme rhetoric. Just listen to some of the things these politicians with strong religious affiliations say about others and their positions based on "God". That's what I am against. It's unfortunate that extremists are the ones running the conversation and that lots of middle of the road people don't have a voice.

One of my best friends in HS was very religious and we talked about her religion constantly. For a while she tried to convert me but then I think she finally understood I wasn't into it.

Members don't see this ad :)
:confused:

Id say they're pretty similar...

I'm simply saying what statistics show, Jews tend to be significantly less conservative in religious obedience and socially on average than the average protestant. Though that may likely be due to the fact that most Jews are secular, more educated/ have a higher IQ, and approach religion as a cultural thing.

I don't think I am fighting anybody, I am just want to stand up for equality for everyone and basically the opposition to that comes from a religious point of view.

In my state, they tried to pass a law saying that being a single mother is child abuse, and the dude justified it in terms of religion. I really don't think that most religious people are extremists. However, what is mostly thrown around is extreme rhetoric. Just listen to some of the things these politicians with strong religious affiliations say about others and their positions based on "God". That's what I am against. It's unfortunate that extremists are the ones running the conversation and that lots of middle of the road people don't have a voice.

One of my best friends in HS was very religious and we talked about her religion constantly. For a while she tried to convert me but then I think she finally understood I wasn't into it.

See, to me, its obvious that you are against people using religion to justify ridiculous political actions.

I agree...

So, I just like to make that clarification...you arent fighting religion, but some peoples use of religion.

Its like I said earlier, water is used to torture people. Im against torture, but Im still cool with water :cool:

See, to me, its obvious that you are against people using religion to justify ridiculous political actions.

I agree...

So, I just like to make that clarification...you arent fighting religion, but some peoples use of religion.

Its like I said earlier, water is used to torture people. Im against torture, but Im still cool with water :cool:

Yes, you got it. I am against people using their personal beliefs to tell me what to do with my life. I don't sit here and tell everyone they should eat rice and beans everyday because that's how I was raised and don't think someone should be able to legislate that everyone should eat rice and beans everyday because psychgirrrl said so.

Don't you think that the main conversation is being run by extremist? What is your view as a moderate religious citizen?

I agree...

Ok, but this mis-usage of the religion is not uncommon and in fact how most do it.

Come on, this is a folly argument.

That being said there are tenants of many religions that I simply dislike and feel are dangerous to society so, yes I also oppose religion, not just the way people use it. Including the usage of holy war which is validated by scripture and other things.

Yes, you got it. I am against people using their personal beliefs to tell me what to do with my life. I don't sit here and tell everyone they should eat rice and beans everyday because that's how I was raised and don't think someone should be able to legislate that everyone should eat rice and beans everyday because psychgirrrl said so.

Don't you think that the main conversation is being run by extremist? What is your view as a moderate religious citizen?

Good deal...Could you be more specific about what you'd like me to comment on? And Id love to share my opinion on anything...I just want to make sure Im responding to what you want me to.

Come on, this is a folly argument.

I think you dont get what Im saying. I know that many people misuse religion. (Im not sure its a majority, but that doesn't matter in regards to my point).

My point is, the fact that people misuse something, like religion, doesn't mean that that thing is wrong. The people are wrong.

So, its more of a folly to say that all religion is a certain way...its obviously not. Its also folly to say that because people (even a majority) misuse religion, that religion is wrong. Thats not a sound argument.

edit: you updated your post with additional l info...one thing Ill comment to is again to say that you cant generalize like you do. Scripture doesn't rationalize war, people interpret scripture to justify war. If you want to generalize, Most scripture talks about peace...

Good deal...Could you be more specific about what you'd like me to comment on? And Id love to share my opinion on anything...I just want to make sure Im responding to what you want me to.

When you read about bills being proposed to ban all forms of birth control or listen to Rush Limbaugh talk crap about universal access to birth control, what do you think?

What about when people say gay people shouldn't raise children because the children will be abused or worse, GASP, gay?

What is is your view on how the conversation about social issues is being addressed by the religious right in this country?

Last edited:
Sigh, Half. I'll give you one thing.
Religion is simply the medium for hate, if there were no religion people would come up with something else to rationalize their actions, intolerances, etc. The problem is within people.

But I won't agree that religion is not as an extension is a source of intolerance.

Sigh, Half. I'll give you one thing.
Religion is simply the medium for hate, if there were no religion people would come up with something else to rationalize their actions, intolerances, etc. The problem is within people.

But I won't agree that religion is not as an extension is a source of intolerance.

Haha, deal.

sorry, I didnt see your post til now...

When you read about bills being proposed to ban all forms of birth control or listen to Rush Limbaugh talk crap about universal access to birth control, what do you think?

I think its silly. My wife and I use birth control and I have personally fought against abstinence only sex ed on capitol hill, as a public health student rep, and locally a few times as well. Rush, and others, are running a business and so they are appealing to their audience. All my religious friends, besides one couple (who are evangelical, which I have found to be especially ignorant, unfortunately) think like we do.

What about when people say gay people shouldn't raise children because the children will be abused or worse, GASP, gay?

My brother is gay and is my best friend. My entire, religious, family (including extended family) don't see him as an outsider at all. I also have gay cousins of both gender and a gay brother in law. ALL people should be loved equally...this is what real religion teaches.

To say that someone would abuse children because they are gay is beyond offensive. Again, I don't think I'm at all alone in my opinion.

What is is your view on how the conversation about social issues is being addressed by the religious right in this country?

Which social issues? To be general...those too far to the right, or too far to the left, both scare me. Both are ignorant and both propagate intolerance.

sorry, I didnt see your post til now...

I think its silly. My wife and I use birth control and I have personally fought against abstinence only sex ed on capitol hill, as a public health student rep, and locally a few times as well. Rush, and others, are running a business and so they are appealing to their audience. All my religious friends, besides one couple (who are evangelical, which I have found to be especially ignorant, unfortunately) think like we do.

My brother is gay and is my best friend. My entire, religious, family (including extended family) don't see him as an outsider at all. I also have gay cousins of both gender and a gay brother in law. ALL people should be loved equally...this is what real religion teaches.

To say that someone would abuse children because they are gay is beyond offensive. Again, I don't think I'm at all alone in my opinion.

Which social issues? To be general...those too far to the right, or too far to the left, both scare me. Both are ignorant and both propagate intolerance.

You restore my faith in humanity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is it atheists/agnostics, even the most humble, respectful, and caring, cannot talk about religion to religious person without offending them? It's like saying you prefer logic and reason over the person's belief, and the believer thinks you're saying their dumb, illogical, and unreasonable?

I've spent years discussing religion on public forums. I have friends who are rabid atheists and agnostics, and they do not offend me when we discuss religion. Honestly, you know who tends to offend me the most? Evangelical protestants. And you know why? It's not normally because I'm pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, pro-religious freedom, and an evolutionist. It's because I'm a practicing Catholic. Religious people offend religious people more then non-religious people do.

Are you from Utah by chance? I ask because of this specific issue (and some of your former comments on other threads) If so I was also very against this bill. I'm kind of embarrassed it was passed in the first place and had to be vetoed. Politicians enrage me.

Also, I appreciate your former comments on this thread as I feel the same as you on many aspects, but I feel you express those much more eloquently than I possibly could.

Are you from Utah by chance? I ask because of this specific issue (and some of your former comments on other threads) If so I was also very against this bill. I'm kind of embarrassed it was passed in the first place and had to be vetoed. Politicians enrage me.

Also, I appreciate your former comments on this thread as I feel the same as you on many aspects, but I feel you express those much more eloquently than I possibly could.

Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah, politics are aggravating. The masses (especially the less educated) can be so easily influenced and then instigated and then manipulated, ad infinitum--and politicians know it. I'm not from Utah, but I did actually advocate to reform sex ed there, as well as in Texas and Oklahoma, while I was in DC for the annual Healthcare Summit a couple times. I think things are slowly changing for the better. I also advocated for increased training, recognition and resources for autistic children in public schools. This seems to be another big issue that is poorly prepared for by many schools...not that its the schools fault though, they need funding and training.

Mixing DO school and religion makes baby Jesus cry. Santa, too.

JesusSantaWeeps.jpg

Mixing DO school and religion makes baby Jesus cry. Santa, too.

JesusSantaWeeps.jpg

What... Is.... that?

Actually, it reminds me of a story my dad told me. My dad was in the Air Force, and he had a co-worker there who had been stationed in Japan. Around Christmas, said airman decided to go shopping on his day off. He walked into a department store, looks up, and sees a dislay of Santa Claus.... hanging on a cross.

I'm glad this thread has been mostly amicable. Often these kinds of subjects bring up very intense feelings on both sides of the debate. Be sincerely listening to the other side, rather than insisting that the other side change their mind to agree with us, we can show true tolerance.

I, for one, am religious, and I am pretty conservative at that. That doesn't mean I hate anyone, and it doesn't mean I want to force my way of life on anyone just because I think 'God said so.' I do, however, hold to certain ideas from which I believe society as a whole will benefit, and I seek to promote those ideas in the public discourse. I would expect no less from those whose ideas differ from mine. We all have a worldview that helps us determine what public policies we support and which ones we oppose. For some of us, religion is an important part of that worldview, and for some of us, it is not. We all have a right to promote policies based on that worldview.

that reminds me of those goofy paintings of jesus riding a dinosaur lol. religious art defies logic i guess.
there are plenty of religious people in medicine. it's best to live and let live

that reminds me of those goofy paintings of jesus riding a dinosaur lol. religious art defies logic i guess.
there are plenty of religious people in medicine. it's best to live and let live

If you think the above image is a representative example of religious art, might I suggest you travel a bit... to Rome, Copenhagen, Rio de Janeiro, or some small Bavarian village. Or to your local catholic parish that is likely no more than 10 minutes from your home.

Only when it's done by YECs (Young Earth Creationists).

I really hope people keep their religous thoughts and feelings to themselves during medical school. I also hope schools would realize not everyone is christian ( or religious) and not constantly push all that crap in our faces:(. I'm an atheist living in the deep south and I want to get out of here so bad. Im not openly atheist but I have a friend who is and people seriously vandalize her property, and verbally attack her all the time. Truly barbaric behavior by so called christians. Maybe i'll apply to PNWU and try to move to the northwest. Any thing has to be better than here.

I really hope people keep their religous thoughts and feelings to themselves during medical school. I also hope schools would realize not everyone is christian ( or religious) and not constantly push all that crap in our faces:(. I'm an atheist living in the deep south and I want to get out of here so bad. Im not openly atheist but I have a friend who is and people seriously vandalize her property, and verbally attack her all the time. Truly barbaric behavior by so called christians. Maybe i'll apply to PNWU and try to move to the northwest. Any thing has to be better than here.

why do you keep necroing old threads....?

its over a month old. and im pretty sure you were the same person who ressurected the WCU school thread from last year and asked about people getting interviews (ironic because you mention you want to leave the south). Well im pretty sure they got interviews, at least i hope so.