DO school chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicky44

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know what are my chances for me to get into DO school... I have a 3.1 GPA Biochemisty major/ Psy. Minor and MCAT score of 8,9,9 ... it would help me if i could get some input from people applying and people getting into DO school... yes i have read all the book and know the avg... I about to grad from a UC school in CA

Members don't see this ad.

Nicky,

Your numbers are about average for most incoming D.O. students. There are a lot of people going into osteopathic medical schools who have very strong GPA's (3.5 and above) and 27s and above on their MCATs. Perhaps you can tell us more about your extracurriculars and whether you have a great interest in primary care. My GPA was a little bit higher than yours (though I had above a 3.7 in my M.S. coursework) and my MCATs were just a bit higher also. I was accepted to 2 schools and wait-listed at another (I had 6 interview offers total and decided to interview at 3). If you ask me what got me in, it is not my grades/scores but my extracurriculars and my work experience after college, as well as my M.S. degree research. I think you should apply, your chances for DO school are fine but probably too weak for MD schools.

Good luck.

EDGAR

Hi Nicky, it is very hard to say what your chances are getting into medical school. All I can say is just do it, cause you'll never know. Your chances of getting accepted is pretty much also based on who look at your application and what other activities you have that can make you significant over other applicants. Your stats does not look bad, my friends had a 3.0 and 28 MCAT and got in medical school last year. Coming from a UC in CA, you have a lot of credentials cause people look highly at that. However, if you attended UCSanta Cruz that's a different story if you did not get letter grades for your work. Viviane

Members don't see this ad :)
Nicky and Viviane,

I went to UC Santa Cruz as an undergrad and have been accepted to medical school this year. UCSC graduates have gotten into many top MD/DO medical schools, the narratives don't seem to hold us back. I personally took the letter grade option in every course I could, and so even though I didn't have an "official" GPA I was still able to calculate one for the medical schools. By the way, what UC did you go to Nicky? A 3.1 at UC Berkeley is looked upon by some as a higher GPA than it suggests because they don't have grade inflation. I know that Viviane goes to UC Davis, another school that is highly regarded by the medical schools.

EDGAR

Nicky

The averages for my class were around
3.5 GPA and 8.5 MCAT. (I'm an MSII at
UHS-COM) If you have good communication
skills, extracurriculars and a sincere
committment to Osteopathic medicine you
will eventually get in. The MOST important
thing to remember is that if you aren't
initially accepted you'll just have to
improve your credentials and reapply. In
today's competitive environment it's VERY
common to see applicants who have applied
2 or even 3 times. Hang in there!!!!!!

Dear Edgar, did you get letter grades for your pre-med work? Because that really matters when you apply. What the admission really wants to see is your science GPA, so it doesn't really matter if you get non-science courses P/NP (correct me if I'm wrong). I had a friend who attended UCSC, and unfortunately, he decided to get most of his courses narrated. So he has to attend the postbac program at UCD to retake the courses for letter grades.

and he got in the second time around.

Viv,

Yes, I did take all my pre-med coursework with the letter grade option. All of the lower and upper-division courses in the sciences at UCSC allow you to take the letter grade. They've changed things at the school since I've been there, they now have a GPA system and give you grades whether or not you want narrative evaluations. Back in the hippie days (when the school was established) I think not having grades was okay but it is ludicrous for law/medical students not to have a GPA. Luckily I visited the pre-med advisor at UCSC very early on in my career and she suggested all pre-meds to take grades. That sucked for your friend, he probably had good grades to begin with but it is hard for the med schools to decide whether a "good" is an A, B, or even C.

EDGAR

It's hard to believe that at one point in history you had to ASK your teachers to give you letter grades....Also, I just felt like resurrecting a 17 year old thread. If we don't know our history we are doomed to repeat it. #SearchBarAwareness
#No(SafeSearch)Filter

So just to check, for your first post that you made on this site, you chose to consciously necrobump a thread older than many SDN members.

Reactions: 1 users
So just to check, for your first post that you made on this site, you chose to consciously necrobump a thread older than many SDN members.

I bet OP has been dying to see it.

Reactions: 1 user
Damn...couldn't you have waited 2 more years to make it a 20year necro?

Reactions: 1 user
I think my favorite thing about this is the difference in the usernames between 1998 and 2016.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm more excited about the UCSC shout-out to be honest