DO school list (3.3 cgpa 3.2 sgpa, 510 mcat)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rae1995

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to sdn so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.
I was wondering if you guys could help me start my DO school list.
I have a 3.2 science gpa and a 3.3 cumulative gpa.
I went to the university of michigan ann arbor and will be graduating this year.
I am also a resident of michigan.
Neuroscience major music minor.
I know my grades are lacking, but I'm hoping my extracurriculars and mcat will help.
I am also a first generation college student from a low income background.

I will have at least 100 hours volunteering between working the the ER and working with pediatric neuro rehabilitation.
I will be shadowing a DO throughout the next few months
During my gap year I will be doing a year long volunteering/internship program working with residents that have developmental and cognitive disabilities.

EC
Spent two spring breaks working with people with developmental and cognitive disabilities. Same place I will be spending my gap year.

Research assistant for the last 4 years. Have my name on one academic presentation.

Music minor and choir member. Also on the leadership board. I was the secretary and historian of the choir.

Member of the student co-op system at umich. Was the food steward for a house of 23, the house board representative for the 501c non profit that is the ICC, and will be the house president in a month.

Studied public health in the Dominican Republic for a summer with a focus on rural health care.

So far I know I want to apply to
WVSOM
MSUCOM (I know this is a stretch)
PCOM
LECOM

I want to apply to around 20 schools hopefully and I will be applying early.

Members don't see this ad.

I am also looking at PNWU. But it looks like they have a regional bias. Is it worth applying there?

Make sure TouroCOM- NY is on your list. Your MCAT will definitely be helpful there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd look into AZCOM, ACOM, NOVA, DMU, Midwestern, ATSU, PCOM- GA,
go blue! :)

KCU has a 3.25 gpa cutoff for bout science and cumulative but with your MCAT it may be possible.

Add UNE. All the DOs I shadowed were grads from there and they were all wonderful. Your GPA is a bit lower than mine but your MCAT blows mine away. I was accepted. Check out me WAMCs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I had mostly the same stats and I got into DMU and had 5 IIs mostly Midwest schools. Maybe cuz Im buckeye though

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am also looking at PNWU. But it looks like they have a regional bias. Is it worth applying there?
There is a definite regional bias. I am in the PNW and had the same stats as you and I was rejected at PNWU.

I applied late and received II at LECOM and AZCOM

There is a definite regional bias. I am in the PNW and had the same stats as you and I was rejected at PNWU.

I applied late and received II at LECOM and AZCOM

Does II mean you got accepted or got a secondary?

Hey I went to UofM-D and we have very similar stats lol 3.4cGPA and 3.2sGPA with 510 MCAT. our EC are kind of different though. I got 9II (8 DO). I will say even with michigans heavy regional bias, I didnt receive any love except from MSUCOM which is where I will be heading.
DO Schools I recommend on the list:
UNECOM
University of Pikeville - Kentucky
Marian University
LECOM - Erie
LECOM - Bradenton
Possible third LECOM campus opening this year? do some research on this
Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM)
Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM)
NYIT - Ak (normal NYIT is heavy regional bias towards NY but the Arkansas campus isn't because they are trying to get that campus started)
Kansas City University (they have a Joplin campus now so they are accepting a lot of students)
MSUCOM (dont lose hope, go to open houses, meet with admissions people, get a LOR from an alumni, it all helps)

MD schools I recommend:
All michigan schools (obviously)(wayne state loves Ann Arbor students so chin up fam)
Rosalind Franklin University (loves high MCAT scores BUT GET YOUR APP IN ASAP BECAUSE THEIR ADMISSIONS DEPARTMENT TAKES FOREVER WITH EVERYTHING)
Low to mid tier MD schools (do research of where your mcat is higher than their norm but GPA is kind of close) such as Marshall University
Loyala University (competitive stats surprisingly)

DO NOT APPLY TO:
University of Toledo
Ohio State University
(we are not competitive here, trust me ;))

All in all, I applied to 24 schools. I wish my MD list was properly constructed but I am happy with my run through this cycle

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I went to UofM-D and we have very similar stats lol 3.4cGPA and 3.2sGPA with 510 MCAT. our EC are kind of different though. I got 9II (8 DO). I will say even with michigans heavy regional bias, I didnt receive any love except from MSUCOM which is where I will be heading.
DO Schools I recommend on the list:
UNECOM
University of Pikeville - Kentucky
Marian University
LECOM - Erie
LECOM - Bradenton
Possible third LECOM campus opening this year? do some research on this
Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM)
Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM)
NYIT - Ak (normal NYIT is heavy regional bias towards NY but the Arkansas campus isn't because they are trying to get that campus started)
Kansas City University (they have a Joplin campus now so they are accepting a lot of students)
MSUCOM (dont lose hope, go to open houses, meet with admissions people, get a LOR from an alumni, it all helps)

MD schools I recommend:
All michigan schools (obviously)(wayne state loves Ann Arbor students so chin up fam)
Rosalind Franklin University (loves high MCAT scores BUT GET YOUR APP IN ASAP BECAUSE THEIR ADMISSIONS DEPARTMENT TAKES FOREVER WITH EVERYTHING)
Low to mid tier MD schools (do research of where your mcat is higher than their norm but GPA is kind of close) such as Marshall University
Loyala University (competitive stats surprisingly)

DO NOT APPLY TO:
University of Toledo
Ohio State University
(we are not competitive here, trust me ;))

All in all, I applied to 24 schools. I wish my MD list was properly constructed but I am happy with my run through this cycle

Wow thanks! this is all super helpful!

Do you have any kind of grade trend? An upward trend + a 510 MCAT bodes pretty well. Take some science classes during the summer. Even if you don't have a grade for them when you apply, you can add scores in during academic update.

Do you have any kind of grade trend? An upward trend + a 510 MCAT bodes pretty well. Take some science classes during the summer. Even if you don't have a grade for them when you apply, you can add scores in during academic update.
I don't really have a super strong upward trend. I am thinking about taking classes this summer though, but I don't know if I can afford them though.

If you're worried about regional bias, PCOM supposedly is pretty tough to get into if you're not from PA or the tristate philly area. Obviously apply wherever you'd like to go, though! My point just is don't let supposed regional biases tap you out.

Honestly with your stats you're competitive everywhere, as long as you apply broadly I think you'll be successful.

If you're worried about regional bias, PCOM supposedly is pretty tough to get into if you're not from PA or the tristate philly area. Obviously apply wherever you'd like to go, though! My point just is don't let supposed regional biases tap you out.

Honestly with your stats you're competitive everywhere, as long as you apply broadly I think you'll be successful.

I was hoping they weren't as bad as PNWU. Thanks for the info though!

I recommend every OOS student with a high MCAT applies to Oklahoma state. I have talked to one of our deans and they were always like "we are interviewing so and so from wherever with a 51x MCAT! Wow!!"

Basically our admissions team seems to like OOS people with high MCATs. One of my friends with a high MCAT from OOS got accepted and he submitted his secondary in LATE MARCH.

Plus our app is cheap. And we have the resources to make a really competitive residency applicant.

Theres a lot of self selection in applying to OSU and many people skip out on applying because they get scared of the OOS thing. Might as well give it a shot if you have the funds.

I recommend every OOS student with a high MCAT applies to Oklahoma state. I have talked to one of our deans and they were always like "we are interviewing so and so from wherever with a 51x MCAT! Wow!!"

Basically our admissions team seems to like OOS people with high MCATs. One of my friends with a high MCAT from OOS got accepted and he submitted his secondary in LATE MARCH.

Plus our app is cheap. And we have the resources to make a really competitive residency applicant.

Theres a lot of self selection in applying to OSU and many people skip out on applying because they get scared of the OOS thing. Might as well give it a shot if you have the funds.

Even with my low gpa? According to the website competitive applicants have a 3.6 for sgpa and cgpa.

Even with my low gpa? According to the website competitive applicants have a 3.6 for sgpa and cgpa.
That's because most students that have a high MCAT also have a high GPA. With your stats and assuming non-URM, I would really focus on DO schools and your state MD schools. There isn't a ton of data on DO schools matriculate stats but there is a ton of data about MD schools in the MSAR. The MSAR tells you the GPA for the 10th percentile. If a school has a bottom 10th percentile at 3.5 then you know that you are in no way competitive for that school. If a school (around half) has a 10th percentile at 3.3 or below, you might have a shot with a great MCAT. I just saw a post last week of someone with GPAs worse than yours that applied to 6 MD schools late in the cycle and got an II.

Yes. PM me if you want, but my GPAs were very similar and I also had a high MCAT. I will be going to OSU most likely.

That's because most students that have a high MCAT also have a high GPA. With your stats and assuming non-URM, I would really focus on DO schools and your state MD schools. There isn't a ton of data on DO schools matriculate stats but there is a ton of data about MD schools in the MSAR. The MSAR tells you the GPA for the 10th percentile. If a school has a bottom 10th percentile at 3.5 then you know that you are in no way competitive for that school. If a school (around half) has a 10th percentile at 3.3 or below, you might have a shot with a great MCAT. I just saw a post last week of someone with GPAs worse than yours that applied to 6 MD schools late in the cycle and got an II.

Thanks for the feedback! On the URM point, do you know if coming from a low income background (around $35,000) and being a first gen counts for anything?

Yes. Most instate students here have decent GPA, but lower MCAT. The OOS students with high MCATs help raise up the MCAT average a little. I think you have a shot.

Thanks for the feedback! On the URM point, do you know if coming from a low income background (around $35,000) and being a first gen counts for anything?
According to the 2016 adcom survey, adcoms put medium importance on socioeconomic status. The previous survey also had "first generation college graduate" on medium importance as well so your low income background definitely makes a difference but not as much as if you were a URM. Based on others who have gotten II with similar GPAs to yours, you'll need a 500+ to get an II with a broad DO school list (20+).

https://www.aamc.org/download/462316/data/2017mcatguide.pdf#page=9

@bears1992 You know the ins and outs of all the med school stats, it's awesome

According to the 2016 adcom survey, adcoms put medium importance on socioeconomic status. The previous survey also had "first generation college graduate" on medium importance as well so your low income background definitely makes a difference but not as much as if you were a URM. Based on others who have gotten II with similar GPAs to yours, you'll need a 500+ to get an II with a broad DO school list (20+).

This helps a lot! Thanks!

For those of you who are interested, here are the recent stats on OSU's DO Program. DNC127 is correct. They use their OOS applicants to boost their MCAT average, which is only 501 on a composite basis anyway. (From US News 2018 Grad Program Rankings).

Admissions and Enrollment (From 2016)
O Applied 1135
O Accepted 159
O Enrolled 112

MCAT Scores, GPA and Course Work Requirements
Median undergraduate GPA 3.73
Oldest MCAT considered 2015
Median MCAT Scores (old test) 25 MCAT total score (old scale)
9 verbal reasoning
7 physical sciences
9 biological sciences

Median MCAT Scores (new test) 501 MCAT total score (new scale)
125 chemical & physical
126 critical analysis
125 biological & biochemical
125 psychological, social & biological

Required undergraduate course work
biology inorganic (general) chemistry
biology/zoology physics
English general chemistry
organic chemistry

For those of you who are interested, here are the recent stats on OSU's DO Program. DNC127 is correct. They use their OOS applicants to boost their MCAT average, which is only 501 on a composite basis anyway. (From US News 2018 Grad Program Rankings).

Admissions and Enrollment (From 2016)
O Applied 1135
O Accepted 159
O Enrolled 112

MCAT Scores, GPA and Course Work Requirements
Median undergraduate GPA 3.73
Oldest MCAT considered 2015
Median MCAT Scores (old test) 25 MCAT total score (old scale)
9 verbal reasoning
7 physical sciences
9 biological sciences

Median MCAT Scores (new test) 501 MCAT total score (new scale)
125 chemical & physical
126 critical analysis
125 biological & biochemical
125 psychological, social & biological

Required undergraduate course work
biology inorganic (general) chemistry
biology/zoology physics
English general chemistry
organic chemistry

Oh wow thanks for the info! I would have never known

Yes. PM me if you want, but my GPAs were very similar and I also had a high MCAT. I will be going to OSU most likely.
OSU doesn't have a DO program.

Oh you mean that OSU

Are those GPAs with or without grade replacement? Do you have better grades in your upper-level courses (Genetics, Biochemistry, etc)? Would your GPA increase much if you took any extra classes?

Stats are one part of any application, and you helped yourself by scoring well on the MCAT. Strong ECs, a compelling PS, good LORS (a letter from a DO helps!), positive impression from the secondary, and early submission of necessary materials all play a factor in receiving an interview, and afterwards in overall evaluation. Additional updates/letter of intents also make a difference.

Hi I'm new to sdn so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.
I was wondering if you guys could help me start my DO school list.
I have a 3.2 science gpa and a 3.3 cumulative gpa.
I went to the university of michigan ann arbor and will be graduating this year.
I am also a resident of michigan.
Neuroscience major music minor.
I know my grades are lacking, but I'm hoping my extracurriculars and mcat will help.
I am also a first generation college student from a low income background.

I will have at least 100 hours volunteering between working the the ER and working with pediatric neuro rehabilitation.
I will be shadowing a DO throughout the next few months
During my gap year I will be doing a year long volunteering/internship program working with residents that have developmental and cognitive disabilities.

EC
Spent two spring breaks working with people with developmental and cognitive disabilities. Same place I will be spending my gap year.

Research assistant for the last 4 years. Have my name on one academic presentation.

Music minor and choir member. Also on the leadership board. I was the secretary and historian of the choir.

Member of the student co-op system at umich. Was the food steward for a house of 23, the house board representative for the 501c non profit that is the ICC, and will be the house president in a month.

Studied public health in the Dominican Republic for a summer with a focus on rural health care.

So far I know I want to apply to
WVSOM
MSUCOM (I know this is a stretch)
PCOM
LECOM

I want to apply to around 20 schools hopefully and I will be applying early.

Hey, did you get accepted at any of these places? Me and you have very similar stats

Hey, did you get accepted at any of these places? Me and you have very similar stats

Hello!

Yes I did!
I had interview offers at wvsom, at still soma and kirskville, touro Nevada, pnwu, burrell, Lecom Bradenton, and MSUCOM. I went to interviews at wvsom, at still soma, Burrell, and msucom. I was accepted at every place i interviewed at. I’m now at msucom.
If you have anymore questions let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Hello!

Yes I did!
I had interview offers at wvsom, at still soma and kirskville, touro Nevada, pnwu, burrell, Lecom Bradenton, and MSUCOM. I went to interviews at wvsom, at still soma, Burrell, and msucom. I was accepted at every place i interviewed at. I’m now at msucom.
If you have anymore questions let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! that's awesome. Also, did you attempt to apply to any MD school, if so was there an acceptance? Im fine with either, but Im obviously mainly applying DO. Similar stats and I am a URM, should I also apply MD? (513 MCAT)

Congrats! that's awesome. Also, did you attempt to apply to any MD school, if so was there an acceptance? Im fine with either, but Im obviously mainly applying DO. Similar stats and I am a URM, should I also apply MD? (513 MCAT)
I did not, hough thinking back I might have been able to get into one. I applied to 23 schools so I didn't have the money to also apply to MD. Maybe apply to some lower tier MD schools. It helps that you are an URM. I'm from a low income background and I think highlighting that in my app helped me get interviews and acceptances.